• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 Overall

bass361;n2283084 said:
In a nut shell, KF2 will have to be completely re-worked in order to be half the game KF1 is. The most glaring issue imo is the lack of consistent gameplay. Most KF1 deaths come from gradually being over run, where as in KF2 you just get 2 shot from a FP.

Honestly there is so much wrong with the game that people aren't even trying to fix it any more. They'll just sit back and say "Oh ya the games great cuzz there's guns and zeds."

The fact of the matter is the entire game isn't Killing Floor any more. This is what most KF fans were scared of back when they released their first few Dev Diaries and showed that there was a sprint mechanic. Frankly the game just doesn't have it's soul any more.

If people want to be optimistic about a poor game that's fine, but don't act like it's great. There's far too much wrong with this game (*Cough* The Zedconomy is the worst, saddest, most lazily put together piece of **** excuse I have ever seen for bull **** micro transaction bait *cough*)

i just have to disagree with that part, if anything the FP in KF1 was the dangerous one, once you knew you were gonna take the hit you could only pray to not get the 100 dmg hit, the one in KF2 does very small dmg per hit that relies on combos, they are only dangerous if you don't know how to take/avoid/interrupt them, or when teammates chain rage them.

you still get killed mostly by getting boxed in, but sadly in a very artificial difficulty with around the corner spawns.

Upvote 0
Played both, like KF2 more. There are more customizations, RPG elements, better graphic, soundtrack... cant wait for future updates. Yes, game is a bit stereotype and i hope they will add some prestige system so we can grind XPs again.
I guess its individual... just cant imagine what KF1 has what KF2 doesnt. Maps? Weapons?

Upvote 0
These posts are getting old. The game's got alot more action to get your blood pumping, the game doesnt have the years of patches and updates that Kf1 had, but will get there over time. Give it some freaking time if you're tired of the game in its current state. Why would you think putting 450 hours into a game means that the game is boring?

You got your fair share of fun out of the game. Just move on if you've played it to death. Come back when more updates hit.

I honestly dont understand why people put hundreds or even thousands of hours into a game and then say "Its a boring waste of money" after they've gotten to the point where the cost of the game per hour of gameplay is less than a cent. I think that's 100% worth its money.

Just wait for more updates and come back. I still have alot of fun with ~300 hours in the game, and also understand that more will come.

Upvote 0
I think the game is fine. Since we're measuring our junk here, I got like almost 1300 hours in KF2 and 800 in KF1 (I know I have no life). I have fun in both games still! There are some aspects of KF1 I like more and vice versa. KF1 imo is a harder game, in a very sneaky way. KF2 gets annoyingly hard on HOE (one small micromistake and thennn....stalkers). New mechanics such as sprint are necessary for KF2 because it's just a faster, less stiff game overall, especially on HOE when everything is running at you at full speed. The game will have plenty of content as time progresses and it will get even more fun when all the stuff they add gets modded and we eventually have a SCRN balance mod :D.

The one thing that ruins fun (and this was the same in the first game) is other players that don't like teamwork, run off on their own and/or die and make the game harder for you and your team (this is less of an issue on the lower difficulties). As well as people joining you in the very late waves asking for a bunch of money and not working with you and dying and leaving. That isn't really the game's fault though.

My only gripes about the game is: 1) Survivalist is a lame class, I never needed a specific class to mix and match weapons and still don't, especially with the cross over weapons now 2) I think there are too many animations, I don't need these things to show me if a zed is stunned or raged or buffed 3) I do not like being able to see teammates through walls, if you run off on your own or take too long at the trader, you should be punished by feeling VERY alone 4) I think medic perks should be more healing and more passive medic damage bonuses for the "fighting medics" 5) Not the biggest fan of aim assist, although I understand the reasoning for having it.

I really don't get the complaining about microtransactions. All cosmetics and NO ONE is forcing you to buy anything so.....what is the problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
450 hours...there are very few games that I enjoy for that amount of time...and most of them are online PvP games

I have no idea how many hours I'm currently at, but its more then 20 so it was definitely worth its pricetag.
-its micro-transaction system is purely cosmetic..so it won't mechanically affect gameplay. but it is a pity there is absolutely no chance of a key dropping (so in practice most skins are locked behind a paywall)
-the game has extremely nice gunhandling and kill animations, making the guns feel powerful and allowing some immersion (hence I oppose stuff like the chickenator, killer-clown-zeds or confetti-guns as they break immersion). we aren't swimming in guns and there are only 20-or-so zed types but I expect its content to improve over time (hopefully of roughly the same quality).
-it is very repetitive much like its predecessor, lucky for me it doesn't get that trait by being a grind-fest...but it does cause me to take breaks from the game.

most PvE/singleplayer games I spend 60+ hours or multiple playthroughs in (in case of short games) tend to be solid.

Upvote 0
sure, the micro transactions are cosmetic, and add nothing to the game. They only rack up in your inventory endlessly waiting to be opened with a 2.50 dollar key.

The game has good animations, BUT the game revolves around pure animation instead of gameplay.

It is repetitive sure, but KF1 is a better game in every aspect. If I didn't like KF1 I wouldn't have purchased KF2, which is my exact point for this post. KF2 has strayed so far from KF1 that it's not even Killing Floor any more. All these disingenuous reviews are from people who barely touched the game, and don't understand what Killing Floor is supposed to be.

Upvote 0
KF2 is far from perfect but it's not bad overall. Is it better than KF1, in terms of game play? Not a question that's answerable in my view because KF2 clearly isn't KF1.

KF2 balancing has, and will likely continue to be, erratic if not downright disruptive. TWI seem perennially unable to deal with the Zerker/Medic problem; whereas other classes, like FB and Demo, lurch between Hero and Zero every other patch.

The delineations between the perks is often too blurred, with some not being able to do their job description and others sharing the same general role. Some classes are so generic and/or out-classed that it seems they were created solely for the purpose of adding more 'progression'.

The MTs are symptomatic of a pox that infects the industry today. I'm not at all surprised TWI jumped on the bandwagon. At least it's only cosmetic but TWI have gone back on their word in this regard before so it's only cosmetic 'for now'.

Versus is alright for a quick bash but for me it falls into the same category as DOOM's multiplayer: a minor contributor to the greater whole.

At the end of the day KF2 is light on content but that should improve over time, accepting that we've already seen almost nothing but time pass on this particular journey.

Upvote 0
defekt_;n2283309 said:
KF2 is far from perfect but it's not bad overall. Is it better than KF1, in terms of game play? Not a question that's answerable in my view because KF2 clearly isn't KF1.

KF2 balancing has, and will likely continue to be, erratic if not downright disruptive. TWI seem perennially unable to deal with the Zerker/Medic problem; whereas other classes, like FB and Demo, lurch between Hero and Zero every other patch.

The delineations between the perks is often too blurred, with some not being able to do their job description and others sharing the same general role. Some classes are so generic and/or out-classed that it seems they were created solely for the purpose of adding more 'progression'.

The MTs are symptomatic of a pox that infects the industry today. I'm not at all surprised TWI jumped on the bandwagon. At least it's only cosmetic but TWI have gone back on their word in this regard before so it's only cosmetic 'for now'.

Versus is alright for a quick bash but for me it falls into the same category as DOOM's multiplayer: a minor contributor to the greater whole.

At the end of the day KF2 is light on content but that should improve over time, accepting that we've already seen almost nothing but time pass on this particular journey.

sigh so true, that was a really good conclusion of current issues we r having. A lot of base designs or ideas of some perks r not quite the reason to cause indistinct roles, its often because the game cant provide enough intensiveness right now especially in higher difficulties, sui/hoe, this also result in the game not being immersive. My friend is creating a mod aiming to be able to change as many of these gameplay problems as possible, its the reborn of the no more supported projectone, now he calls hes mod projectone v3A which some broken features have been fixed and hes working hard to add more and more new stuff in, when he updates the mod, Im the one to do all the balancing on my server. Currently the mod is still not mature enough to be revealed to the wider community here, but soon once we r ready, we will share everything we got and hopefully by then, we could get enough attetion from both the community and tw so that we could hopefully get some really good official changes coming in the near future.

Upvote 0
zsautoman;n2283347 said:
sigh so true, that was a really good conclusion of current issues we r having. A lot of base designs or ideas of some perks r not quite the reason to cause indistinct roles, its often because the game cant provide enough intensiveness right now especially in higher difficulties, sui/hoe, this also result in the game not being immersive. My friend is creating a mod aiming to be able to change as many of these gameplay problems as possible, its the reborn of the no more supported projectone, now he calls hes mod projectone v3A which some broken features have been fixed and hes working hard to add more and more new stuff in, when he updates the mod, Im the one to do all the balancing on my server. Currently the mod is still not mature enough to be revealed to the wider community here, but soon once we r ready, we will share everything we got and hopefully by then, we could get enough attetion from both the community and tw so that we could hopefully get some really good official changes coming in the near future.

with 10 perks and only really 3 different zed types (trash, medium and big...and nobody wants to be forced in a position where he can't deal with trash) you are bond to get some function overlap. so I'm really wondering what you have cooked up in an attempt to make every perk unique in its functionality.

about immersion, I was mostly talking about atmospheric immersion..making the world in the game somewhat believable. challenge is a whole different problem as it is a co-op PvE game, resulting in team random always having a harder time then a full premade when facing the same adversaries, so I think it would be pretty hard to get the nail biting "ahh soo close" experience for both team compositions. (as just increasing or decreasing challenge will make it ether a cakewalk or frustrating for one of the groups, and making the challenge variable results in a feeling of being punished for playing with friends)

Upvote 0
defekt_;n2283309 said:

I don't know where you got the idea that TWI have ever gone back on their word before, but I don't recall such a thing happening(they never promised a release date in 2016). They've stated before that all content that makes a difference in gameplay will be available to all players free of additional charge in an effort to avoid splitting the playerbase up. As far as I'm concerned you can take that to the bank but the way KF2 has gone so far it wouldn't be the most heartbreaking thing to me if they did something that ruined it now.

Upvote 0
conductiv;n2283353 said:
with 10 perks and only really 3 different zed types (trash, medium and big...and nobody wants to be forced in a position where he can't deal with trash) you are bond to get some function overlap. so I'm really wondering what you have cooked up in an attempt to make every perk unique in its functionality.

about immersion, I was mostly talking about atmospheric immersion..making the world in the game somewhat believable. challenge is a whole different problem as it is a co-op PvE game, resulting in team random always having a harder time then a full premade when facing the same adversaries, so I think it would be pretty hard to get the nail biting "ahh soo close" experience for both team compositions. (as just increasing or decreasing challenge will make it ether a cakewalk or frustrating for one of the groups, and making the challenge variable results in a feeling of being punished for playing with friends)

dont get me wrong, look closely i said "indistinct roles" not "perks", in short the idea is that trash cleaners should focus on trash, headshot classes should focus on medium and large zeds, etc etc, and i found just simply by increasing dmg value of certain zeds would solve the problem.

there r different types of immersion, atmospheric is certainly one, and tw hasnt done a good job on that, a lot of maps dont even have ambient noises, for example containment station has a giant, non textured long spinning cylinder in the middle of the map and it doesnt make a sound, same with the giant gears pool on inferno realm, if they wanna include community maps, at least do some packaging before release....So this type of immersion im talking about is when u completely focus on the game because of the game mechanics, right now, in every difficulty there r just too much slackness, players often lose concentration during the match and at the end they cant get a satisfying match. In higher difficulty, u certainly want to make the frustration for new players, if hoe is designed for everybody who can win it, then whats the point? If u click on play solo offline in game, and when u choose difficulties, u can see the discriptions for each difficulty, here is what it says for hoe: "Hell on Earth - The most intense challenge for players of perk rank 25. There are still more Zeds per wave and they use new attacks. There are still fewer pickups, and you get stilll less dosh."

so is it truly the most intense challenge right now? i dont think so, i started to play the game just when ea came out almost 2 years ago, game was extremely hard back then but kept a good number of ppl playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours just in first 1 or 2 months, i remember ppl were on every night, playing with each other discussing new strats nonstop etc etc, from beginning we could barely win a match, 1 out of 5 maybe but the more we lost the more we wanted to play.. one day i cant remember which update, but after that game started to go downhill, not enough contents to feed, all game difficulties have been continuously dumbed down and continuously bad game balancing, so ppl started to leave... Failure resulting in more willing to win is a human nature, not only hoe, all difficulties should scale a good challenge for players who r at different perk lvls, without much content updates, at least thats the better way to maintain the community or perhaps have the potential to make a thriving community and be able to attract more players... what do u think?

Upvote 0
zsautoman;n2283365 said:
so is it truly the most intense challenge right now? i dont think so, i started to play the game just when ea came out almost 2 years ago, game was extremely hard back then but kept a good number of ppl playing for hundreds and hundreds of hours just in first 1 or 2 months, i remember ppl were on every night, playing with each other discussing new strats nonstop etc etc, from beginning we could barely win a match, 1 out of 5 maybe but the more we lost the more we wanted to play.. one day i cant remember which update, but after that game started to go downhill, not enough contents to feed, all game difficulties have been continuously dumbed down and continuously bad game balancing, so ppl started to leave... Failure resulting in more willing to win is a human nature, not only hoe, all difficulties should scale a good challenge for players who r at different perk lvls, without much content updates, at least thats the better way to maintain the community or perhaps have the potential to make a thriving community and be able to attract more players... what do u think?

I think people just got good at the game.

How did the difficulties get "dumbed down"?

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
zsautoman;n2283365 said:
dont get me wrong, look closely i said "indistinct roles" not "perks", in short the idea is that trash cleaners should focus on trash, headshot classes should focus on medium and large zeds, etc etc, and i found just simply by increasing dmg value of certain zeds would solve the problem.

there r different types of immersion, atmospheric is certainly one, and tw hasnt done a good job on that, a lot of maps dont even have ambient noises, for example containment station has a giant, non textured long spinning cylinder in the middle of the map and it doesnt make a sound, same with the giant gears pool on inferno realm, if they wanna include community maps, at least do some packaging before release....So this type of immersion im talking about is when u completely focus on the game because of the game mechanics, right now, in every difficulty there r just too much slackness, players often lose concentration during the match and at the end they cant get a satisfying match. In higher difficulty, u certainly want to make the frustration for new players, if hoe is designed for everybody who can win it, then whats the point? If u click on play solo offline in game, and when u choose difficulties, u can see the discriptions for each difficulty, here is what it says for hoe: "Hell on Earth - The most intense challenge for players of perk rank 25. There are still more Zeds per wave and they use new attacks. There are still fewer pickups, and you get stilll less dosh."

apologies, I did make the assumption you meant that every perk had a different distinct role within a team..meaning that no 2 perks would be functionally identical. you know the current complaints about swat being very similar to commando and survivalists being poor-mans-medics. personally though I still have trouble seeing how increasing zed damage would actually cause players to stick to their function...personally I'd suspect they just spray more or rely more on poorly balanced equipment/AI bugs.

I'm more afraid the'll break the current atmospheric immersion rather then its current so-so state...by adding ludicrous enemies like robot chickens and adding confettiguns for players on anniversaries, but that is a whole different story.

about difficulty, well I don't know if a difficulty that would be almost impossible to win save for players with years of experience and a full premade team would get enough traffic...in my experience...if players hit a brick wall, they usually just give up. it usually pays off if the carrot is just out of reach and they occasionally get a nibble (basically they win 20-30% of their total games on said difficulty, but 80% or so solo/full premade...with lots of close calls) but maybe a even harder difficulty then current hell on earth could be added, just for lvl 25 perks with extremely good game understanding.

Upvote 0
conductiv;n2283420 said:
apologies, I did make the assumption you meant that every perk had a different distinct role within a team..meaning that no 2 perks would be functionally identical. you know the current complaints about swat being very similar to commando and survivalists being poor-mans-medics. personally though I still have trouble seeing how increasing zed damage would actually cause players to stick to their function...personally I'd suspect they just spray more or rely more on poorly balanced equipment/AI bugs.

I'm more afraid the'll break the current atmospheric immersion rather then its current so-so state...by adding ludicrous enemies like robot chickens and adding confettiguns for players on anniversaries, but that is a whole different story.

about difficulty, well I don't know if a difficulty that would be almost impossible to win save for players with years of experience and a full premade team would get enough traffic...in my experience...if players hit a brick wall, they usually just give up. it usually pays off if the carrot is just out of reach and they occasionally get a nibble (basically they win 20-30% of their total games on said difficulty, but 80% or so solo/full premade...with lots of close calls) but maybe a even harder difficulty then current hell on earth could be added, just for lvl 25 perks with extremely good game understanding.

on my server, i took out base 15% dmg resistance for zerk, increased husks, sirens dmg by 30%, bloat bile dmg by 80%, now when zerk see bunch of bloats sirens and husks they need to ask perks like gs, mmando for help. The idea here is by making enemy AIs more dangerous, different roles can start to play with the target priorities they were desgined for. http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=Perks_(Killing_Floor_2) , this is a good OFFICIAL guide(be sure to copy and paste, click on it cant lead u to the right page), but right now all zeds r just too soft, anyone can do anything and can make any mistake and still be able to survive without any pressure, hence roles got blurred.

Im not sure what kind of atmosphere u r pursuing for this game, they sure will not make robot chicken like enemies, but the art style of this game is pretty much being cool, artificial/action like with a small hint of "horror", thats a big difference compare to kf1.

I should have said, all difficulties should scale a good challenge for players r at different skill lvls not only just perk lvls. If ppl cant beat hoe for now they can always play suicidal, and here is the official description for it: " Suicidal - For seasoned players of perk rank 13-25. There are even more Zeds per wave, they use new attacks, and they move even faster. There are even fewer pickups, and you get even less dosh." As u can see sui is meant to be a "sweet spot" sort of middle ground for the most population of players, while normal and hard r for new players who can learn about the game and experience the freshness, they r intended for perk rank 0-5 and 6-12. Early lvls r easy to get, and perhaps quite a number of lvl25s need to practice more in order to get em selves ready for hoe or simply they found sui is the right difficulty for them so they decide to stick with it, hence the reason why sui for 13-25 should have the most players over time.

right now the direction of game difficulties is, hoe being the "hardest" among all, below hoe, especially hard and normal r just not worth playing unless players who r new to fps and kf2, soon they all jumped to sui as lvl 8s, lvl 10s, some of them even flooded into hoe, and this will keep happening if tw keeps failing to understand what true accessibility should be like, thats tw's attitude according to last live stream, they want as many ppl as possible to be able to beat hoe....then this is what we get now. kf2 has only one mode atm, and the game is basically just running around or always camping at the same spot to kill stuff, without fun and skillful mechanics, how can ppl keep coming back? we can only lose more players like that. If this is the game tw wants to make, then thats fine i'll leave now but they made kf1,so,,,Im simply beyond cunfused...

No matter who we are, players or devs, its important to understand why we play games and what the essence is of games, sure the appearance is one very important part, but whats inside is more important, and that is challenge, no game can be a game without having a challenge/interesting stuff to do, look at the latest starwars battlefront and look back at those countless successful games in all genres, it shouldnt be very hard to see the problem here...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Atmosphere is brutally lacking in KF2 compared to KF1. This is a well known issue, and people love to point at the robot chicken outfit, but I loved that character.

The lack of torn up dead bodies, grim lighting, gritty textures, film grain in spectator mode. IMO the game is way too clean for it's own good.

This is Killing Floor we're talking about, come one now. You mean to tell me that Burning Paris and Evacuation Point the entire town is ravaged by zeds and not ONE single dead civilian body?

To me the lack of attention to detail is obvious and down right lazy on TWI part.

Upvote 0
bass361;n2283469 said:
Atmosphere is brutally lacking in KF2 compared to KF1. This is a well known issue, and people love to point at the robot chicken outfit, but I loved that character.

The lack of torn up dead bodies, grim lighting, gritty textures, film grain in spectator mode. IMO the game is way too clean for it's own good.

This is Killing Floor we're talking about, come one now. You mean to tell me that Burning Paris and Evacuation Point the entire town is ravaged by zeds and not ONE single dead civilian body?

To me the lack of attention to detail is obvious and down right lazy on TWI part.

Lack of detail? Have you taken the time to look at the maps? There are subtle little details everywhere, just not gory ones. This game has it's fair share of flaws (as did the first game) but lack of detail is most definitely not one of them.

And, just saying, I don't know of a single game series where the latter games retain the same atmosphere. The second games almost always have more diverse gameplay though, and Kf2 is no exception.

You don't have to like it, but you can't deny that this game exceeds in so many levels. Where it might not have the same exact atmosphere of the first game, it has a different atmosphere of it's own, plus smoother gameplay.

Upvote 0
zsautoman;n2283452 said:
[...]it shouldnt be very hard to see the problem here...
I really agree with everything from this long post and these are exactly the kinds of thoughts that come to my mind when I think about KF2.

We go from slow easy to kill enemies who punish mistakes brutally(KF1) to fast harder to kill enemies who are the most dangerous when their colliders block you into a corner(KF2). Granted players constantly taking chip damage gives more reason to have a medic on the team in KF2 but as mentioned in the quoted post this makes perk roles less defined. If any perk can deal with any threat more or less the same why is there any point in them to begin with? Crossperk weapons and survivalist only homogenize things even more.

Just look at the differences in the appearance of the games between KFMod, KF1, and KF2 and it's easy to see the horror has been neutered. Part of it is due to the players painting the map in gore as opposed to it being there to begin with but without it there to begin with there's no desperation, no immersion. It honestly feels to me most like I am putting a quarter in an arcade machine and playing a shooting game in front of other people. The game itself feels like I am playing a game, not like I'm part of a ragtag group of survivors grasping at any and all means of survival from atrocious horrors that have torn the previous team to shreds and continued to clone a larger mass of themselves since then. That's not a bad thing necessarily but I'd rather Killing Floor feel more like Resident Evil(tense and full of dread) than Luigi's Mansion(fun and gamey).

Upvote 0