• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF 1041 WIP Changelog

Domi_y0;n2266247 said:
I noticed that ever since the update to 1041 dropped I have these few 9mm elite mint skins as well as an elite helmet and elite suit in my inventory.
Is this the reward for those that have been around since the launch of Early Access that TWI talked about in their livestream?

Elite suit is the reward for being a early access player and support TWI (Think its called "Horzine Elite Suit). But no idea about the elite 9mm mint skins, guess those are extra reward lol ! ^_^

Upvote 0
Lorkenpeist;n2266253 said:
Ooh 9mm skins? I thought it was just cosmetics. Now I can't wait to get home and play!

Yea they look really awesome. They come in each colour the cosmetic elite skin comes in as well. Really nice!!

Fr0stPh03niX;n2266258 said:
Elite suit is the reward for being a early access player and support TWI (Think its called "Horzine Elite Suit). But no idea about the elite 9mm mint skins, guess those are extra reward lol ! ^_^

Nah, I think since they come in the same colours as the elite skin they're part of that reward :p

Upvote 0
Fr0stPh03niX;n2266254 said:

HoE gets difficult after wave 7 to 10. The early waves are not that hard. Its actually comparable to suicidal. Someone rarely dies before wave 6. I want a difficulty where the waves are a bit more equal (wave 1-3 should be easy, 4-7 hard, 8-10 a bit harder) and not a sudden difficult ramp up after wave 7.

HoE is the last difficulty, it should be hard.
Normal is for newcomer
Hard for casuals
Suicidal for casuals that want a bit more challenge
And HoE for people who are really looking for a big challenge

When people as level 5 can beat sui, there is something wrong, dont you think?

(I didnt test the HoE after this update, so my opinion might change.)

Upvote 0
The P90 looks silly to me, or at least the huge red dot sight on top does. If only the sight was a bit smaller.

Also, did the song name thing on the top right of the screen disappear? I liked knowing what songs were playing, it's how I was able to remember my favorite songs (Despair :D)

The Fleshpound *dialogue* seems realllly weird honestly.

New trader menu will take some time to get used to (since your stuff is now on the LEFT)

+weather effects on outpost

...if spawns are random now, it's gonna be difficult to plan how to get your weapon back and head to the trader (if you died for example)...unless spawns are only random in the beginning and don't change for a match (I haven't tried multiplayer yet with this update)

Upvote 0
I'm honestly loving 99% of the new version. The FP voice is a tad goofy and the Firebug changes are "confusing", but the SWAT is a blast. The M4 and SMG's feel a lot better than they did in KF1. The P90 sort of outclasses the Kriss and it's a good off-perk too. The Support finally feels "right" to me.

I was playing a normal map a few minutes ago and there was some long delay for the boss wave to start. My vision got kicked into the skybox for a second and then three Hans' spawned at three different locations. Then the Patriarch spawned after that. Fortunately if you kill the Hans with the health bar it kills all four bosses. It was actually pretty fun (on Normal). I also have to click once on the UI elements to activate them and click again to hit the buttons, don't know if that's just me but there are no other mouse input problems.

I also really like the new behaviors, bash animations, and the sweet Horzine suit. Looks great on Rae.

Upvote 0
Loving the new update so far, but I have come across a couple of things in my couple of games. The first was that every server I could find online was locked, every one except a couple in japan which had massive pings and were full anyway :( so I updated my own local server and we played on that.

Anyway, after getting into the game we played with the new cosmetics a bit. The elite suits are awesome and OMG the 9mm skins :O

The first trip to the trader was a balls up, with me selling my guns rather than filling their ammo (trader redesign will take some getting used to but it does look better imo) The only problem I had was the first time clicking on things after entering the trader menu they don't usually work.

The health bar being a different colour threw me off too, I thought my wife was about to die because I couldn't see her health bar but it turned out it was a blue/green colour now instead of red.

I also had the problem with the grinding noise staying after I was killed by a fleshpound. It stayed in the background for another full game until we turned the game off. It did sort of fade in and out, not sure if it was being over ridden by other sounds or just coming and going though

That is about it so far, I like the zeds blocking, it adds a bit more character to them and the new sprinting animations look better so far.
Thankyou

Upvote 0
tegolew;n2266308 said:
SWAT level 5 perk - Tactical Movement - doesn't reduce movement speed while crouching even if you're injured, means: if you stand up while you're injured you will actually move slower. Is this how it's supposed to work? A neat bonus? Or is this just a side-effect? A bug?

It's written in description that you gain twice the movement speed while iron sighting and crouching, so yea not a bug I think.

Upvote 0
Quick thoughts on this patch after playing a few games with friends.

Blocking:
I love this one, the animation for the FP looks a little janky right now, but I absolutely love this. My only complaint is gorefasts block their face too much. This is a problem for me because their weapon causes a forcefield around their head area that just blocks literally everything. If the hit detection was made to be more accurate (which this is opt in beta so I realize not everything is final) so that you could still shoot them in the head if you're accurate enough, that would be wonderful. If not, it would be great if they didnt ALWAYS start blocking right after the first bullet hits them. This is really annoying on SWAT because you're not likely able to kill them before they start blocking and have to either wait or deal alot of reduced damage due to the block. Overall, having the AI do more things to try to kill you feels good. Honestly I think more AI behaviors would be awesome but I dont know what you could add at the moment.

Medic rework:
I like the idea of having temporary buffs on medics rather than them having armor repair. Though I dont like that there are 3 skills on the left side back to back that are just buffs. The damage resistance and move speed buffs are the best fit for medic imo. It makes more sense for their healing to cause resistance and Adrenalin to help get out of a bad situation, but damage buff from a healing dart... Do my bullets fire faster now? From a gameplay standpoint it works but it doesnt really feel right. Another thing is that I absolutely love that the shared healing from the level 5 skill applies the buffs to yourself. But one thing I felt when I was playing medic earlier was that having the entire left skill tree be buffs and that's it was empty feeling. It needs to be condensed into less and have room for other things. 3 skills that are just buffs on healing darts is alot of the same thing over and over again. Maybe move 2 of the buffs together on one skill tier and have something else, elsewhere? One thing I wanted to know is if Acidic compound (or whatever the new name is) got a number rework too. I always liked the idea of the skill but I know it was next to nothing before. Hopefully it has some better numbers now.
Otherwise, I love that the less viable skills got reworked into much better choices. I feel like every skill is pretty viable now, it just depends on how you want to play.

SWAT:
Now, I want to start off by saying I love the perk. I love the SMGs. I love the whole idea of the perk. BUT.... The level 5 skills. I want both of them so bad. It seems like every perk has gotten one of their older skills or part of their Identity made into a passive, innate skill that you dont have to chose in their skill tree. One of these two should really be made into an innate skill. I also was thinking that SWAT might should have night vision. I could kind of see it not fitting it but I also kind of could.

SWAT Weapons:
So I dont know if its because of the opt in beta, but all of the SMGs seem stiff. I was trying to show my dad how the weapons were always made with such detail so that you could see all of the parts jiggling and bending and whatnot. But I noticed that when you fire them, its just stiff. Like I'm holding a solid piece of plastic that magically shoots bullets out the front. I hope a dev can shed some light on this because I already love the sounds all the guns make. They're really satisfying to use, I'd love to get the whole package. One major gripe I have is that the knife is tiny and feels... Wussy. Similarly to how the machete from KF1 is so much more hefty than the KF2 machete. Even if it has no gameplay effect, I'd love to have a more hefty looking knife.

Support Rework:
Support was my second favorite perk from KF1, first being medic. It feels like the former glory of support has truely been restored with this rework. I love almost every ounce of this rework. Everything feels so good now (I ignored the T3 weapon because I hate it and it's become habit to avoid it). One concern I have is that I dont know if the level 15 skills should be together. On one hand, I dont want less spread on the hunting shotgun. Like obviously, in some cases I would love this. Like if the HSG-1 were in the game. I'd want it to be an accurate shotgun. But I dont always want this, on the other hand we have more bullet penetration on a perk that already gets tons of bullet penetration. In some cases I could see this coming in handy but at level 14 I already dont see anything being... Ahem... Left unpenetrated. On top of that there's a zed time skill that gives you unlimited bullet penetration, if memory serves. It just feels like wasted space to me. They're both situational and could both be wasted unless certain situations are met. I personally dont want tighter bullet spread on the guns I use on support, I'd actually rather have more spread because I love the KF1 hunting shotgun with a burning passion. I loved being able to miss things from 10 feet away, but things legs ripped off if a single buck hit them. Maybe some additional effects being slapped on the level 15 skills could help them look more globally appealing. Maybe the penetration skill could pierce through blocking zeds? That would be top notch right there.

Wilkes Cosmetic:
I really like it. I already put it on a few characters. Only thing I have to say is I'd love some grittier colors. Feels kind of neon and like way too bright. I was hoping to have a darker variant to use. On the other hand I love the white one on DJ Skully to match my retro skully mask, skully hat and skullyphones. I actually really liked that it kind of fit Rae's character rather than being just "the wilkes cosmetic model". Good work on that one. One thing I thought though, was it would be amazing if we could have certain weapon skins tied to certain characters. Like if I' playing dj skully, I'd want the white 9mm skin. But if I were playing Briar for instance, he has alot more blue on him and Id rather use the blue pistol. I'm going to forget to switch it 90% of the time. It would be great to have it preset for him.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Pretty late at the moment. Sadly I wont have much time to give more feedback for a few days. But this patch is amazing. The amount of change that's come out this patch is great. I love the direction this game is going.

Upvote 0
After playing all day here are my thoughts :

Commando : New audio for AR, bullpup, and SCAR is sexy. Everything from the new zed time Bullet effects to the new audio makes commando just seem more powerful. I had a blast spraying bullets from a 50-75 round magazine.

Firebug : Love the perk changes. CnB seems more powerful and ground fire does decent damage when coupled with the perks that buff it. Don't really dig the new Flamethrower fire effect. Looks like fire puffs instead of a steady stream of flame. It should be reverted back IMO. Overall it's been an improvement.

Demo : The HX25 got nerfed pretty hard. AOE damage seems non-existent as I could rarely kill 2 clots at once. Before the update I could kill 5 grouped together easily. The M203 is a blast (pun intended). It really helps you deal with scattered trash that you don't want to waste an explosive round on. RPG is stronger due to big zed's health nerf. Overall it's still a fun class, though I feel like the pipebombs are useless. I don't have a reason to use them.

Zerker : I like the new color effects for parrys (green)and damage buffs (red). I didn't play this class a lot but overall I like what they did.

Misc thoughts :

-The Catacombs map needs a re-work. The new lighting is nice but the lighting wasn't the reason that people never played it.

-Black Forest could use said re-work mentioned above. It's rarely picked.

SWAT is fun but right now it just seems like Commando with different weapons. It could use some new perks/passives that really set it apart.

Great update! Thank you TWI for the free skins. That was a nice surprise!

Upvote 0
Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere and I missed it, but are white, explosive crawlers supposed to spawn in non-vs games now? I noticed this happen twice while I was putting SWAT through it's paces in solo play (hard difficulty). Not saying I dislike it exactly, sort of like the idea of highly obvious crawler-bombs darting around the map but given the frequency with which it occurs it seemed like a bug to me (no pun intended).

Upvote 0
Scarm;n2266434 said:
Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere and I missed it, but are white, explosive crawlers supposed to spawn in non-vs games now? I noticed this happen twice while I was putting SWAT through it's paces in solo play (hard difficulty). Not saying I dislike it exactly, sort of like the idea of highly obvious crawler-bombs darting around the map but given the frequency with which it occurs it seemed like a bug to me (no pun intended).

Yes. Albino crawlers now occasionally spawn in Survival with a higher frequency depending on difficulty. Albino alpha clots do, as well.

Upvote 0
pie1055;n2266492 said:
Great update, noticed something easy to overlook. If you spawn as SWAT and then switch to Commando you can totally get the damage bonuses for Fallback on SWAT's knife which still gives you SWAT experience. Kinda exploity but if everyone is OK with it then there's my hot tip for the day =P

You get all perk bonuses that apply to knives always even though it is not really your current perk's knife. This is probs just left so that if you change you will not be hindered should you choose to use the said skills.

Because otherwise you'd have to die to recieve the current perk knife and it really isn't optimal to die in order to just be able to use skills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall, great patch!
Here's what I especially like-
-New weapon sounds
-blocking
-evasion is more natural than I expected
-Zed variants

But I'd take another look at-
-The new rifle butt animation looks too much like a left 4 dead-style shove instead of a hit meant to seriously hurt someone. It's also less clear where it's landing. I'd revert this.
-The MP7 seems far too good for T1. I'd recommend lowering the mag size to 30 or even 20.
-The new FP sounds are much less fitting and terrifying than the KF1 metallic voice
-The Trader UI was flipped around and I don't really understand why
-Perk skills, but I'll save it for another thread.

Upvote 0