• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Japanese Immunity to Spawn Protection Activation

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
There have been several requests on this forum to alter the spawn protection mechanic so as to make it not affect players which are in the volume prior to its activation (that is, to make it prevent players from entering the volume after it has activated). It seems that, for various reasons, TWI don't think this is a very good idea (although I do not know what these reasons could be; I think it should be applied to ALL soldiers).

Anyways, if TWI are unwilling to concede this tweak to the Germans, Russians, and Americans, maybe they can be convinced to at least give it to the Japanese. The Japanese were well known for performing suicidal "surprise" attacks well after their positions had been taken by waiting for the enemy to walk past in numbers and then shoot at them, killing several enemies easily at the cost of only one life. This tactic is rarely seen in Rising Storm due to overzealous placement of spawn protection volumes. I think giving Japanese soldiers who were inside a spawn protection volume prior to its activation this special immunity would encourage this "ambush" behavior and produce more tense and realistic gameplay for both Japanese and American players.

Thoughts?

I see where you're coming from - similar to the spawn bunker idea which seems to have not worked out well... I wouldn't support NO spawn protection, but maybe a longer countdown for japs?

IDEA! Japs can enter spawn protected areas by banzai charging. They still get to do their surprise rear attack, which is realistic, but they have to come at you screaming, instead of being able to sneak around and camp a capzone, which would be bad for gameplay. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game isn't a Pacific Theater simulation, it can't rely exclusively on "reality" to shape its game design.

Also, most of the playerbase is not dedicated to recreating a Pacific Theater experience.

What does it mean ?

Axis players sprint alone on the flanks to camp enemy spawns (= completely unrealistic, no respawn waves in real WW2, much more slow movements).

Axis players will never wait in a pilebox/hole, then shoot when an enemy is in range. Because the maps are too small, the pace of the game is extremely fast (10-15 min to capture an entire map). Same reason why the fixed MG are rarely used (and when used, can slaughter up to 10 enemies in under 5 seconds).

Axis players only have a "similar" behaviour (of waiting in a spot) when shooting in the back of unsuspecting players thanks to the narrow level design and fast pace (and not because of a specific tactic meant to slow down the US advances and maximize their casualties). These kills are made because of the spawn-to-front "lanes", not because the Axis player took an expensive risk of sneaking ahead at the right spot (out of a very large map).

Finally, when surrounded Axis players will lean/crouch up-down, loot automatic weapons, retreat, exploit the known spawn-to-frontline routes to make even more kills. None will banzai charge out with their bayonet or grenade.

There's no feasible way to force players to act like WW2 japanese soldiers.

I know it is frustrating to lose a capzone because 15 Allies stacked up in a tiny corner of it, and having to run back 30 meters, but that's much better than a MG making 20 kills simply because the other team made the terrible error of respawning on a mapper-choosen spawn point.

If you want to get rid of "combat area"/spawn protection (as it is implemented in RO2/RS), you need much bigger maps, a much slower pace, and much bigger time limits (for the map and capzones). In such game, the Japanese staying in their foxholes would be balanced and fair (high cost, high reward and random bet random reward).

Last edited:
Upvote 0