• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Japanese Flamethrower: Type 100

StoneCrow

Jun 8, 2013
Pretty much everyone agrees that the USA flamethrower is a balance issue, Especially in campaign mode!
But no one seems to agree on removing it, cutting its numbers or making it historically inaccurate. I suggest adding the Japanese flamethrower instead, here is a rundown of the type 100,

280px-Type_100_flamethrower.jpg

The fuel unit consisted of three 15-inch-long (380 mm), 6-inch-diameter (150 mm) cylinders: two outer fuel cylinders and a central nitrogen pressure cylinder. The total fuel capacity was 12.3 liters.

Fuel was a mixture of gasoline and tar.

The flame gun, three to four feet long, was a 1-inch-diameter (25 mm) tube with a fuel ejection handle located near the hose connection.

Fuel (in the Type 100) was ignited by a blank cartridge fired from a revolver mechanism in the flame gun, which held ten rounds.
Here's the important bit,

The duration of a continuous discharge was 10 to 12 seconds with a maximum range of 22 to 27 meters.
If Wikipedia is correct that adds a minimum of 3/4 seconds onto the Americans maximum fire time, but almost halves the range!

Historically these were only used in the early stages of the war and seen a lot less regularly once the Japanese were on the defense, but their inclusion into the game giving say 1 soldier on a team a type 100 flamethrower to the engineers or more on assault maps in campaign would remove a big balance issue within Rising Storm.

08.jpg

Some assets for this weapon already exists in the SDK, just gotta wait for some one to finish it.

Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Edit: I suppose next item on the agenda for another thread would be getting some more sidearms for the Japanese officers, like the Sugiura Shiki 32acp pistol,
DSC000019.JPG

but not the type 26 revolver because it was famously crap and phased out. It had a flaw where the cylinder would rotate to the wrong place, no self respecting officer would use that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not especially enthusiastic for its inclusion, but it might be interesting to see (in VERY small quantities, like 1 per team) on Hanto. To my knowledge, it was used primarily in Indonesia and China, so it's inclusion in Hanto would make the most sense. I've also heard it was used as an anti-tank weapon later in the war, to surprisingly adequate effect. Maybe it can be issued on maps with allied tanks if we ever get those?

Upvote 0
From what I've read they used it more early in the war when they were still mounting offensives but it didn't see much use after that in general infantry due to it being seen as not a very good weapon for defense, so maybe 1 soldier could have one like you said.

Part of my point was that in campaign mode when japan does actually get to attack it would be an invaluable and in a funny way alternate history correct addition!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the flame thrower, but it should only be used by attacking side.

So both Japs and US get it, but only availble if the map is an attacking one.

Because essentially that is why we dont get much Jap Flame info against the US, they where mostly defending.

It feels really strange attacking on that night jungle map (i cant remeber the name) and the defenders have Flame throwers... on Iwo Jima the flame for the US is perfect when they are attacking.

Upvote 0
yeah the Type 100 smg is bad enough being practically general issue in RS I say only have SL and commanders be allowed them, and assault class just be faster sprinting, more agile, and have better/faster aiming and melee abilities than regular classes, maybe have them issued those special low-noise boots the japs frequently used in jungle combat, so itd be virtually impossible to hear them running, then allow them to have 4 grenades rather than two, and when the M44 carbine comes out, have them be able to choose from the T99, T38 and M44

regarding the jap flamethrower, theres a few reports of them being used in the early stages of Guadalcanal, maybe have them be issued to 1 soldier on Guadalcanal and Hanto, and remove American flamers on those maps. So it'd just be two maps, with just 1 slot avalible to use it on the Japanese side, not really realism breaking

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely Theta123.
But I had alot of trouble finding an American grenade launcher on a smaller scale than a mortar used during the pacific, except the various Bazookas which I think would lead to more balance issues!

If you know of one Theta123 please link it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_grenade_launcher

Its a rifle grenade, but it would do. The US used them in huge numbers, just like the japanese.

Compared to the knee mortar, it would be easier to aim, has a longer range, a bit more firepower but heck-alot slower to reload

Upvote 0
I'm all for one being on specific maps for the Japanese team and I would personally like to see the Allied flamethrower count reduced to two. In addition, it'd be nice to see the Allied flamethrowers removed from the current fireteam set-up (i.e. functioning similar to snipers in this regard) as Allied flamethrowers spawning within 30-40m of an objective is an absurd occurrence when it does happen. Hell, even have there be 3 Allied flamethrowers- just place them into their own, single-unit FTs so they have to spawn at spawn points, not on SLs.

Upvote 0
Here are my two cents:

If we imagine a mainland expansion, then the japanese flamethrower is a good addition. As what is actually happening is a mirror of the pacific, except with Japan being the superior fire power entity.

A player above pointed out that including a flamethrower presumes including a rifle grenade on the opposing force. This is also true as the weapon can otherwise be abused - particularly on the defensive (noting that the knee mortar in direct fire mode is to all intents and purposes just a rifle grenade launcher).

So sure, but it is only worthwhile under mentioned preconditions.

Upvote 0
For me personally it comes down to a single thing, at the moment Iwo Jima is nigh impossible for the Japanese on attack, having a flamethrower available for them and rifle grenades for the USA (like the m7) would allow the game to swap the team sides more fairly in campaign mode.
And due to the Japanese apparently not using flamethrowers in general defenses but in all out offenses (that happened to only really occur in the start of the war), The japanese having access to the flamethrower in campaign mode while on attack on maps like Iwo Jima would make sense historically and would make campaign mode actually a viable mode.

Oh and type 100 smg, way to prevalent and in many peoples mind inferior to the Japanese rifles anyway. Assault class could just be given access to the better officer pistols the Japanese military had and an extra grenade or two(if we ever get those).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the moment the japanese have a huge advantage, wich is the knee mortar. it gives them a huge unfair advantage over the US, just like the Flamethrower gives a huge unfair advantage over the Japanese.

Some argue that the Flamethrower issent really that of an advantage. It is. Yesterday we had to assault on Hanto on campaign mode. I believe it is the third flag. It was a freaking fortress. Exept when me and another flamethrower got close enough, and engulved the place in flames. We killed not that many, but our events, our distraction, our fear (some defenders retreated) allowed our teammates to move in from the front and sides, completly wrecking the defense.

Something like this, is also needed for the japanese, simular to the M7 Rifle grenade launcher for the americans. This issent mirror balancing, this is historical accurate.

Upvote 0