• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is the support's starting shotgun too good?

hardcore_gamer

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
I have mentioned this before but I feel this point really needs to be made again. I feel that the support's starting shotgun might be a bit too OP. It's literally the only starting weapon that remains useful for the entire match. It might not be as good compared to the other shotguns, but the fact that a well placed blast from it can still 1 shot kill every weak zed including gorefasts makes it more powerful compared to other starting weapons. Sometimes when I die mid-match I just change to support before I spawn next wave because I would rather respawn with the shotgun than whatever ****ty starting weapon the other classes have and then use whatever money I have to buy armor/grenades and possibly some kind of pistol like the 1911 or even the deagle if I can afford it. It is simply smarter to do compared to investing in a whole new primary because you died.

Anyone else feel the starting shotgun is more powerful compared to the other perk's starting weapons?

No. It's fine as is.

Edit:actually, it needs the price of ammo to be fixed.*

this.

if you take the ammo price out of the equation is not that good either, i mean, its good but not OP.

-if you hit a gore in the body he hardly even cares, i dont expect it to kill it but at least a reaction of some sort.
-the spread is quite tight which can be good or bad on situation, but a lot of the time id be grateful if it was just a tad wider since there are not too much situations where they line up that much.

overall the caulk, crovel, medic pistol are better IMO, the AR and dual revolvers can or not do better depending on situation.

Upvote 0
The crovel is pretty good as well. It can one shot trash up to sirens/husk with a headshot (power attack on crawlers). It you power attack a husk it will stumble it and a follow up will kill it.

Medic pistol is recommended for everyone to carry it as long as they can spare the 1 weight and 200 dosh.

While it's not my personal loadout I hear a lot of firebugs use the caulk with the microwave gun as their final loadout.

Demo and gunslinger starting weapons are pretty much agreed upon to be pretty terrible.

So basically no. The starting shotgun is as powerful as it needs to be to deal with the first few waves. It's average for starting weapons.

Upvote 0
it can still 1 shot kill every weak zed including gorefasts

That's every starting weapon.

Only difference is that the ar/pistols have far more ammo and range, and the crovel parries and one-shots bloats.

All starting weapons are "viable" actually, but due to weight of guns other perks don't force you to keep your starting weapons so no one bothers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might not be as good compared to the other shotguns, but the fact that a well placed blast from it can still 1 shot kill every weak zed including gorefasts makes it more powerful compared to other starting weapons.
It's a shotgun, it had better ohk smaller zed.

Anyone else feel the starting shotgun is more powerful compared to the other perk's starting weapons?
Actually, it seems you're the only one. :p

Upvote 0
It's actually a bit of a terrible starting weapon as it's too expensive to fire it for the first few waves. I always stick the knife and 9mm till at-least wave 3 when playing support as ammo is too pricey.

It's a decent gun later on, terrible starting weapon.

If you're just using the knife and 9mm in the first two waves, why start as a support and not a medic or berserker (if you're going to use your knife) or a Gunslinger (if you're going to use your 9mm, at least the 9mm of the gunslinger can headshot if you are above level 10) ?

The only "justifiable" reason would be that you want to level the perk :)

Regarding the topic, well, I have never heard someone saying that it was OP before. Even at the beginning when every player was playing with support (and there was a lot of ammo boxes everywhere and ammo was less expensive).

So, no, it's not OP. And it's too heavy to be used off-perk. The only "OP" starter weapon would be the T1 of the Firebug. Then, again, this class is OP, so...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're using it with its proficient perk (Support), if your perk level above a certain degree to boast sufficient bonuses for it, and if you're playing below suicidal difficulty, then yes. SG 500 is an awesome starting weapon to stick with, especially in comparison with AR-15 Varmint got its ammo attributes (ammo pool & price) nerfed in previous patch without any compensation, such as the accuracy/recoil buff that I see the community has been suggesting. Once these conditions are met, you may take down Siren impressively effective with proper use in the most circumstances.

Beyond this, you'll start to struggle with SG 500 as even just a small portion of pellets ended up astray will result followups from you. In later waves, your will run into ammo/economic issue as small Zeds other than Crawler, which is still very fragile, will prove to be tough enough to cost more than one shot. Meaning, half of the small Zeds will cost you more than 5-10 dosh worth of firepower to put down as they will no longer lined up that much conveniently nor that much frequently for a one-shot-multiple-headshot-kills -- while the full strength of AA-12 is gonna cost 1700+200 dosh to obtain.

Under ideal circumstance, SG 500 is still very much an awesome pump-shot that could achieve both one-shot-headshot-kill and one-shot-multiple-headshot-kill over small Zeds above the Hard difficulty, but I don't think those circumstances are that applicable to be anywhere near reliable or stable, hence making SG 500 an overpowered weapon considering it's a tier-1 starting weapon. In fact, in my opinion, it needs some help to address some issues that Support perk is facing at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0