• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Sight Blur (merged 5 times!)

Because it isn't, strictly speaking. :p Its a monitor vs human eye limitation either way. Aiming down the sights doesn't make the target bigger- BUT everything in RL would be bigger due to the compressed screen size of the monitor.

So non-zoom vs zoom turns into a personal preference issue, since they're equally non realistic.

Upvote 0
Bartender said:
The only thing that ISN'T realistic is how small everything is. It also means that people with more money tend to win more often (nicer hardware). The suggestion isn't only realistic, it makes gameplay equal to all users.

Better hardware means nothing. I can slaughter just as many people as the other guy. Sure the occasional jitter pisses me off, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay.

If you have a computer that can run the game fairly well(25-30 fps) you should be able to own just as much as the next guy.

Comments like this are bogus. Hardware may help, but the end all is your skills as a player. Blaming crappy hardware or asking for changes in the design will not make you a better player. Practice will.

Upvote 0
Hard ware can definetely make a difference. I rememebr when I first started playing CS, i had to play at 400x300 resolution my comuter was so bad and I acutally did fairly well. However once my uncle gave me a newer computer I did much better. However now that I have an even better computer, it doesnt make a difference. So up to a point better hardware certainly makes a difference. You really have to be kidding yourself whne you say that hardware makes absolutely no difference. But even if it does, thats really jus the breaks when it comes to PC games. But this is how it is in everythingin life.

Now about zoom, zooming on ironsights isnt even really zooming. THe current view is acutally zoomed out if you think about it. Take a tank at 50 m away in game, and think about how big a car woold appear in real life. Much bigger unless your playing through your 42 inch plasma screen tv, as I do sometimes, but most of the time i play on my 17 inch flat screen. Full control of zoom, up to a point is definetly a good idea in my opinion for these reasons.

Upvote 0
Bartender said:
The only thing that ISN'T realistic is how small everything is. It also means that people with more money tend to win more often (nicer hardware). The suggestion isn't only realistic, it makes gameplay equal to all users.

Won't help all that much, because it'll give the guy with the better system the SAME advantage and he'll just be able to move back farther..

Upvote 0
Zooming is not realistic (as many have said), I have never met a person that can zoom their veiw without aid IRL.

Blacked out the sides of your screen to simulate the tunnel vision you are talking about. This was in the game in the mod, why it was taken out I don't know. My guess it was taken out because it didn't matter at all, since you create this tunnel vision by yourself when you are playing. I'm guessing you can't read what is written on the line above this while you are reading this simply because you focus on this part of the text and filter out the details around.

However it is true that the native fov 85 in RO isn't the best from a realistic standpoint, it is a compromise. But I'm farily sure you can change your fov to 60 in RO. But theyn you need to always play with fov 60 since changing the fov during the game is locked.

Zoom will never be realistic in any game when bringing up the sights of a non scoped weapon. But as said blackening out/blurring the edges of the screen could maybe be put in if you need help concentrating on your target.

Upvote 0
Moz said:
this problem has been hugely ignored in most cases. :/

I don't see it as a serious issue, if it's even an issue at all :confused:

It's been mentioned more times than i can recall to count , well probably 5 or so times, and it's not actually so serious enough of a "problem" to deserve much at attention.

Can't people just take what they've got from the game and make do with it ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might be unrealistic to have zoom, but the fact that you can't play at all times with zoom on, and the fact that a monitor limits your FOV, kind creates the need for both zoom and nonzoom.

Also, yeah.. moving your head closer to the screen does actually help, but eh.. I'd rather not be 2 inches away trying to identify a target that, in real life, i could easily identify because he'd be QUITE a bit larger.

Hell, even Operation Flashpoint, one of the most realistic as well as fun games, had "zoom", bound to the right key. You could do it any time you wanted, EXCEPT in ironsights. That would be a good feature.

Operation Flashpoint can be, and is, described as a combat sim. It has zoom.
IL2 is a (the best, inargueably) sim, it has zoom (and a shitload more than OFP) It goes down to 60 degrees, thats quite a large amount of zoom. I'd settle for 75 or 80 in RO.
RO is a sim in my opinion, and well. It doesnt have zoom.

Sure it's a skill to learn how to identify a blob of pixels as friend or foe by their almost unnoticable differences in shade, but.. at the ranges we're doing that at, its not realistic. You'd need to be much further away in real life to have to debate whether its friend or foe.

Upvote 0
Amarok said:
Err... don't laugh... it really helps ;) ...'tis just annoying that then you cannot use mouse or keyboard properly, so somebody takes your butt straight away off :D
Yeah it does...tho make sure u have an LCD (if u dont u should be ashamed) cause ull get headaches otherwise...
But when im sniping in barashka, and there is a guy on the opposite Radio bunker from mine i always get up close to the screen... its hard shooting pixles. . . .trust me.
But with practice and knowing where to shoot you can easily pick of guys in they radio house with in 1-5 shots....
:DHooked on Screens Worked for me!:D

Upvote 0
shadowmoses said:
Yeah it does...tho make sure u have an LCD (if u dont u should be ashamed) cause ull get headaches otherwise...
But when im sniping in barashka, and there is a guy on the opposite Radio bunker from mine i always get up close to the screen... its hard shooting pixles. . . .trust me.
But with practice and knowing where to shoot you can easily pick of guys in they radio house with in 1-5 shots....
:DHooked on Screens Worked for me!:D

You can keep your LCDs mate. I'll sit way back here with my 1600x1200 on my big old CRT so that the people actually look like people, even at range :p

Upvote 0
Iron Sight Blur (merged)

Iron Sight Blur (merged)

I have suggested this once, months ago, but when I saw this pic from FH2, I think RO should have a try like that.

MTgzJTIwLSUyMA==_MqL6RWZoXxhB.jpg

I don't know whehter this kind of depth of field effect is realistic, or whether this FH2 model is a real 3D model or just a 2D picture hung there, it looks like good. I hope TW can consider my suggestion again.

A real pic of PPSh41 iron sight:

92_380_859c796d7721414.jpg

Upvote 0
I dont think the Unreal 2.5 engine can blurr models like this, i've never seen it done.

It could be done by a texture though, you add a plate behind the iron sight and code it to switch between textures, one invisible (when hipped), and one with a blurry picture of the iron sight.

However, this is not a great solution, for two reasons:

1: The 3D model of the sight will still be there, you would just be adding blurry edges to it, which means you are just making it harder to use the sights really, obscuring the view more.

2: I have bad experiances with invisible textures on models with Unreal 2.5, the problem is emitters (like the shadow of a tree projected onto the ground, or special lighting effects), thease emitters will often show up on invisible textures, so you can see the 3D component is there though it should be invisible.
This means that, at times, you would see the invisible block on the hipped model, and worse, when aiming it could project onto your sight picture obscuring it.

Upvote 0
Neat, although i think the rear sigth should've been blurred a bit too. Don't expect it to see in RO ever though, as a large part of the community and apparently the major part of the devs are against it. Moreover it would require redoing all of the weapon models--->unlikely
...mmmmmmm........ That's true though.:(

Maybe we can expect that in a UE3 RO. The depth of field blur is also seen in the incoming awesome Crysis. I think this should be necessary in the next generation games.

Upvote 0