• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Alt Fire For Snipers?

Meh all those balancing things don't change the game at all if they were unbalanced
if smgs were normal ppl would just adjust their play method

Heck in the mod smgs were normal.
I totally agree to that, not on the mod part though because I haven't played it.

OT:
[...]
And for the record, in the mod, the SMGs had "realistic" recoil, and people still complained that they were "like, SMG-sniper rifles. It sux!" they didn't "just adapt their tactics." And the "adapt your tactics" argument actually works both ways, regardless of the realism aspect involved. "The guns aren't realistic!!" So? Adapt your tactics.
Did not play the mod, but the reason for that could be the lack of a complete realistic shooting system or - if you wanted to save time - the lack of appropiate cone fire on certain distances as well as an appropiate damage reduction system as the bullets lose power after some distance. So the problem may (!) have not been the recoil of the weapons but some other parts of its implemention.

Upvote 0
Yes, I think you are completely right on this. The game doesn't model such things as the instability of slower, lighter and less ideally shaped pistol rounds. Therefore the only parameters that really influence the accuracy are cone, recoil and sway.

The mod had realistic recoil for the smgs but it didn't simulate the fact very well that smgs shoot certain patterns and that their bullets become increasingly instable over distance. That and the fact that fighting distances are very small made the PPSh an uber-gun.

What I personally would like to see was some kind of penalty to heavier and cumbersome guns, maybe some kind of weapon inertia like OFP has it. (But then I don't even like the movement inertia that much.:p ) I also think the time to go to iron sight should depend on the weapons weight more.

Like SgtHenry said, there's just some things that the game doesn't/can't simulate, like how a loaded PPSh is 5.5kg heavy and very uncomfortable to hold (compared to a 3.5kg PPS43).

Upvote 0
I think the game already models that with how fast you bring a gun to bear in free aim, and how quickly a weapon can be shouldered for iron sights. It may only be a fraction of a second's difference, but I've definitely been able to bring a lighter gun to bear faster than a heavier one in duel situations.

The carbines seems to shoulder faster than the main battle rifles. The MP40 and PPS43 seem to shoulder quicker than their wooden-stocked counterparts.

But aside from that, I don't think there's a ton we can do. The guns, I think, ARE coded for reasonably realistic "cone fire" at longer ranges, but we never engage at ranges where that'd be an issue.

Even if they aren't coded like that, I'd rather have the current system than one of conefire. Recoil I can control for. Conefire I can't. That's the whole reason I came to this game -- I wanted to be in control of my own shooting ability as much as possible.

If conefire of any kind was added (if it isn't already in at the extreme ranges), I'd say it should be a VERY tight cone, and should only operate at the extreme ranges of the weapon's effective range.

Upvote 0
To the people who talk about balance: In most maps there is only one sniper, so there is allready some kind of realistic balance by limiting the amount of Snipers.
And every weapon should have its real advantages imo and should behave as realistic as possible.
I think the things would sort itself out automatically then.
If the PPSH was really better than the MP40 people would pick it up if they feel they could get an advantage. The same like it is now, when I pick up Semis if I see them.

OT: There is allready cone fire (SS_Random etc.), how you call it does not matter imo. What I mean posted somewhere before as well, is that you should not be able to hit something with less than X shots at range Y with weapon Z at probability W while creating a damage D ;) as the real weapon performs at that situations.

Upvote 0
I am really sick when I read all these "balance-lovers".

1) When devs add reallistic mosin IS, it would not be balanced with Kar98, OK:

Is PPSh41 balanced with MP40? Is G41 balanced with SVT40? Is MG42 balanced with Degtarjev? It is not and it is right!

2) Scoped mosin would not be balanced with regular mosin, OK:

Is bolt-action rifle balanced with semi-auto? Or with SMGs? Or with MGs? It is not and it is good for realism and good for playability.

Do you want balance? I tell you a secret - DoD:S is balanced, go play it.

Upvote 0