• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ingame sound doesn't give you directional and space sensations

letsreplaythewar

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Guys,

Its just me or the Ro2 audio doesnt have much directional and space sensations?

I say that because the noise of the fires and the interactive character voices sometimes seems to be on my side, when they really are very, very far from me.

Another ex is when i hear the enemy TL calling the art in the radio, when i am VERY VERY FAR AWAY from the closest radio he could be calling it...

Other really bad thing is when i am at the top of a house, like pavslov, and the enemys in the first floor seems to be firing on my side...

BTW, using 128 Channels here.

What about to fix that?

Personally I find it all good on 32 channels EXCEPT for your own sounds. Like when you talk to yourself or you shout something and it's directional and sounds like it's coming from behind you as you move.

It should play to you from your clientside position, not from your server position.

Your footsteps could also use the same love.

Upvote 0
It has bugs. There's no denying that.

On the other hand, it works perfectly other times.

Last night I was on FF in one of the tunnels, as Russians. Germans just down the street from the tunnel exit throw smoke. After one runs down into the tunnel and gets gunned down, I tell my squad member to wait a second.

I hear MKB fire like crazy somewhere off to my left, behind us. I go up the tunnel ramp, turn around to my left, and gun down 3 German assault guys before the 4th kills me.

Works pretty well IMO. If bullet impacts are heard from too far away, if radios are heard from too far away, it's all minor stuff that needs to be fixed, and will be, in time.

I think I'm doing 64 channels.

Upvote 0
Sound directions are definitely not accurate for me. Sometimes it's impossible to tell if a sound comes from downstairs or upstairs or the same level of you, and I've died many times because of that. Also the sounds your persona makes comes from random directions which makes me nervous.

Upvote 0
This is all because twi chose to use xaudio2 (instead of openAL), which does not support hardware acceleration and is a lot worse at 3d sound positioning. So not only does it sound worse, but it also lowers your performance, compared to what you would have if you have a good sound card.

They've also pretty much confirmed that it will stay this way in another thread, because "xaudio2 does what they want it to and they aren't gonna spend 3 months coding a new sound engine". Enjoy your great audio. :D

Upvote 0
This is all because twi chose to use xaudio2 (instead of openAL), which does not support hardware acceleration and is a lot worse at 3d sound positioning. So not only does it sound worse, but it also lowers your performance, compared to what you would have if you have a good sound card.

They've also pretty much confirmed that it will stay this way in another thread, because "xaudio2 does what they want it to and they aren't gonna spend 3 months coding a new sound engine". Enjoy your great audio. :D

What? RO2 sound doesn't use a sound-card's dedicated chip?!

Upvote 0
Guys,

Its just me or the Ro2 audio doesnt have much directional and space sensations?

I say that because the noise of the fires and the interactive character voices sometimes seems to be on my side, when they really are very, very far from me.

Another ex is when i hear the enemy TL calling the art in the radio, when i am VERY VERY FAR AWAY from the closest radio he could be calling it...

Other really bad thing is when i am at the top of a house, like pavslov, and the enemys in the first floor seems to be firing on my side...

BTW, using 128 Channels here.

What about to fix that?

You are right, but further the sound is awasome.

But using 32 channel is enough. That`s the maximum in this game.

Upvote 0