• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Incredibly low FPS, on any graphics setting

Demoman Dawkins

May 22, 2010
Hi.

I guess this is the best place to post my problem, as I'm having no luck anywhere else. Basically, No matter what settings I have Killing Floor set to, as soon as about 3 or more enemies come on screen, my FPS plummets through the floor to about 20 or less. It gets really unplayable as the game progresses.

It's not as if my computer's bad by any means. I should be able to max it easily.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 @3.2ghz
2GB DDR3 ram
HD5750 1GB

I thought at first that my CPU might've been overheating or something, but I checked the temps and they're pretty low, along with all my other hardware, so I have no idea what's going on. All my drivers are up to date too.

Currently, I have the game set to 1440x900, all max with no AA. Tried it on 800x600, all lowest, and the fps stayed the same. It never goes up past about 86, even when looking at the floor.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to bump again, but I'm still having similar problems. I can't seem to fix it. Changing the settings does nothing, and even on the lowest, even though the fps is at 91 when zombies start spawning, when I look at them or shoot them sometimes my fps drops down a lot. It varies when it does it.

Yesterday I was playing on Biotics lab and looking at a door dropped my fps down to below 30. There was one zombie on the other side. WTF?

Upvote 0
Have you tried these things yet? http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37887
especially the defragmentation and turning off "reduce mouselag" can help you.

Try forcing AA through the ati control panel instead of ingame (make sure you dont force it in both at the same time), and check whether you use super sample anti aliasing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't see bus interface anywhere.

If you actually click on the Graphics button on the left it will bring up a ton of info on the card like this:

Untitled.png

Upvote 0
Hmm I'm getting the same problem as the original poster. I think that it must have something to do with the video card because I have an ATI 5770 which is very similar. Not only that but I ran the game fine before on my old nvidia 9800 but now that I've switched cards it can't run on any settings without immense frame rate lag.

So now the question is, why is the video card causing this problem and how do we fix it?

Upvote 0
Sorry for not replying. Didn't realise anyone had posted. Anyway, I have a 600w PSU. As for the Bus interface thing. Clicking on graphics on the left doesn't bring all that info up. There's nothing about that being shown at all. The fps drops seem to be specific to the projectors setting. With it off, the game's fine, but I don't see why.

Upvote 0
I guess I'll post up my specs as well

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core
8 gigs of OCZ 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP-Ready Rev.2 Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV4GK
XION PowerReal AXP-850R14N 850W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX HD-577A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

So yeah. I really shouldn't be having any problems running this game. But like I said I only started getting these problems when I got the new video card. Before that it ran perfectly. So something with the 5770 must be bottlenecking.

Upvote 0
make sure you cleaned your old drivers correctly before installing that new vidcard you can try using the 3dguru drivercleaner program and reinstall the drivers.

Next to that make sure everything is properly defragmented. Try to use your catalyst control panel anti aliasing rather than the ingame AA setting. That helps with performance for some people.

Try messing around with your control panel aliasing settings as well. Those cards run the game great if everything is clean :).

Upvote 0