• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

in regards to no more characters, can we at least expect more lines for the final lineup?

LolzMan1325

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
I was going to make this a reply to my thread about the cost of character DLC and whatnot, but I felt this warranted its own topic.

My question is this: if the current cast is the final lineup, can we at least expect more voice lines for them?

I read that TWI would like to record several/hundreds lines if they're going to go through the trouble of getting their whole cast back (which i hope they still can), which makes sense, so I figured maybe I'd list off a handful of potential lines that each character could use

• Specific EDAR callouts (I.E. "Trapper!", "Bomber!", "Blaster!" which would be used when a character spots them, as EDARS themselves already have a noise for when they're about to attack, could also give a hint like "aim for its chest!")
  • Quarterpound callouts (a lot of people I've played with actually have a lot of difficulty telling the difference between quarterpounds and regular fleshpounds, I think the callout would help)
  • Rioter callout (hint-esque, like the fleshpound "watch his mood" or siren's "take her out before she screams", a character could say "shoot his legs" or "his legs are unarmored")
  • boss phase hints, specifically for the king fleshpound and abomination since they don't talk and thus don't telegraph their attacks as well as the other three bosses. stuff like "his helmet's broken", "chest armor down", "broke his back armor", "watch out he's sucking us up like a buffet", "shoot these gross little **** monsters", "clean up after him... ugh" for the abomination. for the king fleshpound, i think it'd do well to have stuff like "duck! laser!" (since to this day that technique is in 1 intro hint and most people learn it through word-of-mouth), "we have to break that shield!", "keep the quarterpounds down!/don't let the quarterpounds overwhelm us!"
to name a few. this isn't a "suggestion" thread since the main thing is the question, implying we're going to get new lines at all. i just think the characters could use a lot more useful callouts and hints, and once there's enough of those, i think they could do with a lot more banter, as most of it's comprised of one character going "hi" and another one going "shut up".

You obviously got your answer from Tripwire itself, but as I like to talk to myself, I'll answer anyway.

Even the base roster is now fairly numerous. And it may prove even more costly and time-consuming to call back twelve voice actors to do 5-6 quotes than simply have one for a full voice-over.

I guess it's always possible to ask people to do it from home (considering we're in the middle of a pandemic), but they still need to ask a large amount of people to do it.

Honestly, I think the time they would gain NOT designing a new character will be spent gathering the old ones. Voice actors are plenty if you want a new one... But asking for the exact same could be too much trouble for what is worth.

...And I'm saying that as someone who loves your ideas ! I think that's some Quality of Life improvements that would be very helpful for newcomers and veterans alike. I'm a bit more skeptical about banter, as...Again, they got a fairly large cast. It's hard to make custom lines tied to characters towards other characters in such cases. Even if that was exactly what I loved and admired in Left 4 Dead ! But those aren't the same games.

Upvote 0
I don't think so, I mean it's definitely nothing like something that most devs can do with minimal effort/resource, unless it can all be done in-house then it's noticeably cheaper but still troublesome to do.

Contrary to animation can be quickly scanned with a webcam then slowly handcrafted, or a model can be made with existing assets or effectively outsourced; professional VA and audio recording could be very costly in game-making - as it's a process of writing scripts, to finalize the lines, to rant a studio complete with various equipment, to having VA on-site performing let alone casting and maintaining the talent, plus recording done with a operator and a director/voice-guide, to mixing and post-production and compiling.

And so voicelines are generally produced by the bulk within a development cycle - and not something you just add randomly.

Upvote 0