• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In other non-news, Tripwire likes Valve.

Interesting to hear they got the dev costs for RO back within the first week, that must be kinda extraordinary :eek:

Personally as a gamer, I love Steam, without it there would be so many games I would not have had a chance to see and play. RO has been almost non-existent in retail here so Steam is the only way I could have got it. IMO its revolutionized the way gamers buy games.

Upvote 0
I always thought his last name was 'Pitchfork' :D

An interesting point raised in the comment section by 'Bart Stewart': While Valve may offer more attractive conditions compared to established "brick-and-mortar-publishers" now, will this status be maintained if they ever assume a position comparable to major publishers? Could a large dependency on Steam be a potential risk?
Sadly, Wilsonam's reply to this dodged the point almost completely. Maybe he could elaborate a bit on this subject here?

Upvote 0
Business Speculation:
Alot of the 'Same pricing in retail and on steam' is due to the game publisher.. if they want to
stay on the shelves of the WalMart of the world; they have to keep Walmart happy and not drastically cut Walmart's sales by offering it significantly cheaper online... because lets face it, if it's that much cheaper to not have to spend time/money/gas to goto the store to buy it, you'll definably get it online.

I may be considered biased though, in the interest of full discloser, I am in the credits of Ostfront, and I work on the Mare Nostrum mod which is distributed on Steam and that's possible by TWI.. that aside, I'm also very objective about alot of Valves stuff, but you'll have to take my word on it.
Overall my opinion is pretty well shared with what Ramm stated in the article (and make sure you read the whole opinion). Look at all the indie titles on Steam, and iirc, alot of the Big Names (EA, etc..) didn't happen on Steam until much later... lets face it Digital Distro drastically lowers the bar to entry for an indie game developer. And just because you make your game available online, doesn't mean people will see it.. Having something like Steam means the 60k people still playing the original Counter Striker might actually see that you have an awesome title available.. even if it's for the 1second it takes them to close the window :]

As for the comments left by Alan Wilson, they start at comment #8 on the articles page:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25595

Upvote 0
Well yeah, the obvious reason for there not being a significant difference between the digital distribution and the retial box is that Valve can't just murder the retail market of the games it sells by undercutting them massively.

I always like to feel like I'm getting my moneysworth out of something. If there are 2 products, and I can see clearly that one of them took more effort to produce than the other I just begrudge having to pay the same for both.

That said, there's no doubt that Steam has given plenty of oppertunities to indie developers and exposed us to wonders we would otherwise been able to see - and to allow them to finance their efforts so that they can in turn create more wonder...the oppertunities for indie developers are great.

Upvote 0