• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Important Battles in Normandy and during Barbarossa

luciferintears

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm actually in the process of programming a game. Its a strategy game set in WW2, so i figured i'd ask some of the ww2 enthusiasts some questions.

What would you say were the 5 most important battles during the Normandy Campaign and Operation Barbarossa? I've been doing my research but i'd like to get your opinion on things.

The scale of my game is probably 1-2 Companies worth of Infantry and maybe a 1-2 platoons worth of Armor, with the Maps being representative of of 25-50 km^2 though these are subject to change. So i cant have the battles bee TOO wide scale nor can i have them be too focused. So that in mind, what do you think?

Normandy

Barbarossa

Off the top of my head and not in any order but:

Normandy
1. Mortaigne: Small pocket of U.S. infantry hold a hill against German armored attacks. As-seen on Company of Heroes.
2. Caen: Pretty extensive battle allows for all kinds of scenarios
3. Villers-Bocage: British armored column is tied down and reputedly destroyed by a single axis Tiger.
4. Falaise-Pocket: Lots of armor involved, and encirclement of huge Axis forces
5. Sainte-Mere Eglise: Paratroopers taking a town, would be a small scale battle with not much variety in units.

Barbarossa
1. Smolensk: Pretty big battle of encirclement, important to have
2. Brest-Litovsk: Cut off infantry and ill-equipped volunteers against German armor.
3. Periphery of Moscow: Opportunity for battles involving extensive trenchwork
4. First Battle of Kharkov: Sort-of like Brest-Litovsk in the sense of German armor trying to get in a city, but against better equipped troops, fighting a delaying action, which would give an interesting objective.
5. Um... Nothing specific

And there you have it, the battles I think of and reasons why they would make good missions in any game.

So, uh... now that I helped perhaps I could get some details about this little game of yours. Just curious, is it like a pet-project or are you hoping for a full-blown indie title?

Upvote 0
Thank you for those, i appreciate it. It gives me a really good place to start and then expand from. Also to get a general idea, what is the theater of war that most interests you (WWII):

-Europe
-Eastern Front
-Pacific
-Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern Front

As for my game, its a combination of both. I've been programming software for a while but this is the first time im going to try programming a game. As of now its kind of a personal project thats going to be shifted into full gear this summer. So far i'm working alone but as i progress im going to need to find some more people, specifically a sound engineer, 3d artist and a 2d artist; since i i suck at art and music. I do intend on polishing to the level where i can sell it.

I dont want to go too into detail about the actual mechanics and gameplay yet, at least not until i have a working proof-of-concept demo. It has a rather unique take on the strategy genre. In terms of aesthetics it blends RTS, turn-based combat, resource management, and a slight retro war-boardgame feel.

I might have a working demo by the end of summer, and this will be the first place i post it :)

If anyone else has some input regarding the battles i would love to hear it.

Upvote 0