• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Ideas On How to Improve Balance

CaptRanger

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
www.highest-degree.com
First off, I want to say that overall I really love RS. It's the best thing to happen to the RO franchise since Darkest Hour. That said, I have a few suggestions:

1. Knee mortars should not be able to be used by Marines. I have seen Marines capture knee mortars and sit around ammo dumps pounding the Japanese. Knee mortars are a huge weapon-balancer for Axis and this is negated by Allies being able to use them.

2. Suppression levels should be slightly increased for an Allied soldier that is being banzai charged. I can't count the number of times that I have been a Marine, about to be hacked to pieces, but have unloaded a clip into a Jap before he could just quite reach me. Aim, especially hip-firing, should be decreased a little bit when you're about to be stabbed or slashed by a screaming Japanese soldier.

3. Flamethrowers should be removed from all American defense maps, especially Guadalcanal. Not only is it completely unrealistic, but it just destroys balance when a flamer is camping inside an objective building burning assaulters as they try and go through a doorway. This just destroys an attack and seems logically ludicrous (the place would burn down in real-life).

4. More objectives should be recapturable on all of Axis defense the maps. The Japanese were masters of infiltration and it would help balance a lot by having Axis soldiers behind Allied lines trying to recapture points. As it is right now, playing Axis on most of the maps just feels like I am constantly retreating rather than harassing an assault.

Anyway, that's my two-cents and feedback for the Beta. Doubt any of this will be helpful, but just wanted to put it out there. Please feel free to add to or debate any of my ideas as I think we all strive for the most balanced and fun game possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with all besides, 3.

Why? People should be smart enough to use grenades.

The main map/objective I see the flamethrower abused on is Guadalcanal obj D (?). The windows are too small to get a grenade into and even getting up to the building is hard enough without a flamethrower. Yes, it's not impossible. However, the main thing to me is, who in their right mind would use a flamethrower inside a small enclosed building?! Just seems crazy for a game that tries for realism. So, seeing as how it probably would be very difficult to code for not being able to use flamethrowers in small enclosed spaces, why not just remove them from certain maps like Guadalcanal?

Upvote 0
Also fix rubber bayonets please.

Sometimes it only takes one bayonet jab to the guts to kill someone. Another time I need to stab them more than 3 times.

Very annoying when you're banzai is cut short by a rubber bayonet.

And booby traps being removed from out of combat zones is annoying, booby traps should remain where they are placed forever until they are exploded or more than 2 booby traps are laid so it removes the oldest one. It makes sense that a Japanese defence would leave behind booby traps when they were falling back.

Upvote 0
4. More objectives should be recapturable on all of Axis defense the maps. The Japanese were masters of infiltration and it would help balance a lot by having Axis soldiers behind Allied lines trying to recapture points. As it is right now, playing Axis on most of the maps just feels like I am constantly retreating rather than harassing an assault.

Thanks!

It's definitelly great idea! You have my vote.

Upvote 0
The main map/objective I see the flamethrower abused on is Guadalcanal obj D (?). The windows are too small to get a grenade into and even getting up to the building is hard enough without a flamethrower. Yes, it's not impossible. However, the main thing to me is, who in their right mind would use a flamethrower inside a small enclosed building?! Just seems crazy for a game that tries for realism. So, seeing as how it probably would be very difficult to code for not being able to use flamethrowers in small enclosed spaces, why not just remove them from certain maps like Guadalcanal?
that d objective building is not hard to clear out, just use the knee mortar in free aim, and go for the windows, and bang, your american problem is gone. and when you are out of knee mortar ammo, just spam grenades inside though all the windows.

but i do not think it would be wise to remove the american flame thrower on the defensive maps, as this is one of the few weapons that can shut down a mass banzai charge. and believe me when the japs get their momentum up with charges between cap zones, there is nothing stoping them.

Upvote 0