• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[IDEA] Whitelist for custom Maps

FeuerSturm

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
Germany
www.thewtf.net
Hello community, mappers and TWI Devs!

I'd like to request a whitelist for custom maps to finally get
rid off those countless farming/cheating/leveling maps.

Would that be possible at all to achieve with the "limitations"
of the UT engine?

If so I'd like to see something like this:

- beta and final maps posted in the "Level Design" forum could be revised and whitelisted
- perks and perk progression works like usually

Perk progression should be disabled for all non-whitelisted maps
while still allowing to use "what you got" to allow mappers to
actually test their maps before submitting them for revision.

You're already doing this with the Mutators, so why not try
to prevent the next easy way of cheating the game?

I'd like to hear some opinions, mostly by the TWI Devs, on:

A) Is that possible?
B) Would that make sense?
C) What can we, the community, do to help?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any comments/replies!

I think the easiest solution would be for the community to do it, maybe make a white list page on a KF map site and offer the link to be added to a related sticky here. It'd take time/energy to go thru the maps and approve them so it'd be easy for the community to do it because more extra time is available that way.

The code is already in place for perks on vs. perks off so as long as the maps are made without custom triggers and such then they're already approved.

I do agree a good map classification system would be nice. It'd be nice if we could agree on a standard. An unlikely possibility is people just adding a suffix to leveling maps, no perk maps and 6+ player maps

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply!

I'm pretty sure that here's a lot of people (including me) that would
like to review new maps and suggest them to be whitelisted.

Does really no one else think that this is a good idea to keep
the leveling process fair for all players?

Or is everyone playing those cheating maps? :mad:

I'd really be grateful for a TWI statement on this, I guess the flood
of posts just prevents them from reading this, I'll try to send a PM.

I'd be happy about some more comments from the community as well :)

Upvote 0
then maybe only official maps should be whitelisted since most of the custom ones got exploit(s).
This way players could level up playing the original version only but they would be able to use what they earned on any map or any server.

I already posted about this in other threads but currently we got ppl hardly surviving on 6+ slots servers running "normal" maps and not earning any perk progression
AND
ppl playing on 6 slots servers running easy "level up" maps earning perks progression by simply pushing left click since the map was designed to not let the specimens kill you.

So if we follow TW point about balancing the game they should have taken care of those idiot maps before removing the perks progression on 6+ slots servers.

And I dont think whitelisting some custom maps would be a hell of a job since there could be a thread for each new map where players post exploits and as soon as an exploit is found the map gets blacklisted.

So either do the things fully either dont do anything and allow perks progression on 6+ slots servers too.

Note that there will always be a way to level up easily somehow. Exemple yesterday was playing on KF-farm and my 5 mates died in 2 minutes vs the patriarch. I was the last one standing and got him down by simply staying behind a barrel. Was like he couldnt see me most of time and when sometimes he started rushing on me I just had to turn around the barrel. Was first time I was getting patriarch down on my own (after teammates died fast without injuring him much).

Upvote 0