• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Idea for a map

[CoR]MiccyNarc

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
basiclayout.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the basic layout

Never made a map before so it'd be rather simplistic.

It would not be huge (I hate huge maps. Next person that makes an infantry map the size of the state of new york gets a kick in the face from me), but large enough to offer freedom.
It'd be based on an area near my house (not historical)

The stream in the first pic would be really shallow so it'd be easy to cross.
The trenches are there to break up the forest's inevitable monotony and provide an objective, a reason for them to be fighting. After the soviets cap the trenches, the farmhouse becomes the objective. The black stuff on the farm field is a hedgerow to give the soviets cover as they cross the field. After the soviets cap the trench, they will spawn in the forest, next to the river. At this point they'll gain a T34 tank spawning at the very bottom of the map by the river (up 'til then Tank drivers will have to go by foot)
The tank will be used to reach the farmhouse. The Germans will have a panzerfaust pickup in one of the buildings. The soviet infantry will have to enter the main farmhouse and capture it, the tank won't be able to get in the objective, it will be only used as infantry support.

[CoR]MiccyNarc said:
Yeah, take RGOW and cut the size in half, set it in a forest in spring, and you've got the general idea.
I always thought RGOW had potential but was too large to be any fun.
Then start mapping! I liked RGOW fro the beginning, so if this one turns out to be similar, yet improved, I am more than happy

Upvote 0
Looks like a pretty basic (mechanically) level.. should be able to use terrain, and existing statics.. very handy for a first-level to get your head around the basics of the editor.. :]

Assuming you don't give into the Cull-Fog, you might have to juggle your visable statics some to ensure decent FPS.. things like forests can be really nasty that way :(

Upvote 0
Okay I've got a more concrete design down and I'm starting to get excited...unfortunately there's nothing I can really do until the game + SDK is released :(
design2.jpg

Red stars = soviet spawns, they are numbered by the order in which they are used
Black crosses = German spawns (same)
By the way I think I should put another spawn down where the Soviet tank spawns so the germans can populate both ends of the trenches.
Question marks = I want something for Sapers to blow up but I can't think of anything (there wouldn't be AT guns in the middle of a thick forest, would there?)
Maybe I'll just make these bunkers with a better view: Advantageous for soviets to capture but not necessary. Or I can make it so the sapers can blow them up, I'm sure there's a destroyed bunker mesh.
Forward bunker = First objective.
Explanation for this:
It will be easy for soviets to cap, giving the Germans no chance to lay hold of it and defend it. But it allows for the first wave of Germans to spawn closer up (in the trenches) so they can dig in before the Soviets begin attacking the trenches. It's a timing thing.
Light blue = Swamp. I figure that most of the forest would be fairly flat with an occasional mound of dirt and plenty of underbrush. The swamps would be low areas that, if a player prones in them, they'd be almost completely concealed. This would make it so the soviets can approach the trench without a porechye like situation arising
Brown = trees, naturally. It'd be early spring so no leaves = less performance hit.
I've layered the image so you can easily see the phases of action.
1st phase:
Soviets take the bunker. Germans entrench.
2nd stage:
Bloodbath for trenches. Probably the longest part of the map here
3rd stage:
The assault on the farmhouse. The tank (Early T34) will allow the infantry to approach over the fairly flat farm field. I probably just toss in some old hay bales to provide minimal cover. They'll have to depend on the tank to keep heads down. There is a hedge row of bushes that will provide additional cover for both sides (green). Then the farmhouse battle, should be quick.
The germans would have a ditch with some bushes at the top for them to spawn in so they aren't cut down, and low areas so they can crawl to the farmhouses to prevent a cap.

But really if the soviets get that far the Germans are doomed anyway, unless the map is almost over, giving them a last chance.

Now I want to make this reality :(

Weapon loadouts:
German:
Unlimited riflemen
3 machine guns
1 commander (no arty)
3 SMG'ers
2 G43

Soviet:
Unlimited riflemen
Unlimited Automatic
1 sniper
3 tank drivers (all given PPSH41 and grenade)
1 commander (1 round of arty, must be used carefully)
2 sapers
2 SVT

My reasoning for this:
Germans have trenches, perfect for MGs and rifles. I'm giving the Soviets a sniper rifle to balance this out (with SVT)
I figure unlimited automatics for the russians would make sense based on the proliferation of PPSH41s. But they'd be useless at assaulting the trench until they actually get really close to it, so they'd have to have rifle support to get in.

This is all preliminary, I'd have to test it out with my clan and see what they say.
Can't wait to have a crack at the map editor.
Will the map editor and the included statics be all I need or will I need anything else?
Thanks for any advice! This is all theoretical and subject to change without notice!
Release the darn game! :D
Oh and lastly, my quick doodle skills are no indication of the quality of work I'm capable of....but we'll see once I start mapping ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0