• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I kinda miss when the 9mm had more ammo

LolzMan1325

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
The 9mm used to have 255 reserve ammo and I kinda miss that. However, I do like the power and fire-rate of it now, so I think that should be kept and the reserve ammo returned to 255 + 15 in the mag (and 30 in the mag for the dualies).

I think it would help cement the 9mm as a decent backup for most perks, and a decent sidearm for commando, swat, and gunslinger and sharpshooter. Personally, I'd definitely use it more on just about every perk if it went back to having 255 reserve ammo.

I fully agree. It's now tough to see the 9mm as anything more than a last-resort weapon. I believe it's possible to consider it a viable sidearm in the first few waves (especially if you're playing as either the SWAT or Commando, where you can save a handful of money that way), but you can't really go trigger-happy anymore.

I do believe however that it's rarely used also because weapons in general are less expensive (remember how you HAD to pick an off-perk option for the demo in the first game, considering how expensive his arsenal was? Good times). But also because you almost always have something cheap and reliable for PDW. Even a fully equipped Demo used to rely on its 9mm in the first game, same for the Zerk... as you didn't really have anything else to get the job done against trash zeds for the former, and something to deal with crawlers, sirens and bloats for the latter. Not impossible, but less adequate. Now, the demo has access to a ****-ton of great weapons to deal with anything, and the zerk can keep a piranha or vlad close-by to take down those pesky zeds. Why would you pull out your 9mm in such conditions?

I do believe that it could be used as a nice money-saver far more if it had more reserve ammo nonetheless. That'd already be cool.

Upvote 0
9mm is fine as is, IMO. It was the right decision on TWI's part to increase its damage, but decrease the ammo capacity.

Ammo capacity is perfectly fine, as it decaps clots with just 1 shot, thus, capable of killing about 45 of them with 50% headshot accuracy.

People rarely use it, true, because the vanilla waves are short and regular weapons ammo is plentiful. However, if you put them into a situation when it may not be enough they get more incentive to switch to 9mm during a wave to dispose of all-clot squads without spending main weapons ammo.

Upvote 0
Remember that there are currently four perks that can specialize in 9MM usage: Commando, SWAT, Gunslinger, and Sharpshooter (former two by way of skill trees, latter two just by existing).

Also remember that a 9MM at Tier 5 can kill a Fleshpound in ~17 headshots depending on who's using them, to say nothing of the rest of the Zeds.

Also remember that upgrading the 9MM does not add weight, it only costs money.

So imagine how good that would be with 255 reserve ammo.

The 9MM was reworked to be a competent enough sidearm without being completely useless against anything past Clots while also not being too busted against other Zeds (currently maxing out the 9MM is an expensive meme) while still striking a good middle ground on the perks that can opt to specialize in it.

Bringing back that much ammo given its current state would make them still bad for bad players while being monstrous in the hands of good players.

Upvote 0
Remember that there are currently four perks that can specialize in 9MM usage: Commando, SWAT, Gunslinger, and Sharpshooter (former two by way of skill trees, latter two just by existing).

Also remember that a 9MM at Tier 5 can kill a Fleshpound in ~17 headshots depending on who's using them, to say nothing of the rest of the Zeds.

Also remember that upgrading the 9MM does not add weight, it only costs money.

So imagine how good that would be with 255 reserve ammo.

The 9MM was reworked to be a competent enough sidearm without being completely useless against anything past Clots while also not being too busted against other Zeds (currently maxing out the 9MM is an expensive meme) while still striking a good middle ground on the perks that can opt to specialize in it.

Bringing back that much ammo given its current state would make them still bad for bad players while being monstrous in the hands of good players.
I'm usually humbled by your comments, simply watching and learning. But I'm a bit puzzled this time around to be fair.

1) I've yet to meet anyone who upgrades their 9mm to tier 5... That's quite a lot of money for a weapon that's only meant to be a sidegrade. Even if you're still stupidly light on your feet with it, that doesn't really make the investment worth it.

2) 17 headshots is quite a large amount against a raging wall of muscles that wants you dead. I guess you could score most of these prior to raging (and while during the rage up animation), but then you'd have to fire your last bullets while he's rushing toward you. While having to reload for the last two bullets (assuming you only have one 9mm), and while other zeds might sneak up on you. It's definitely admirable for a starting weapon... But that's still a pretty large TTK for such a critical target to take down. I don't see it replacing a trusty RPG-7/Railgun/M99/grenade stack anytime soon.

I do fully agree however that the weapon has a pretty neat role currently. And I admit that I should wipe it out of my pocket a bit more often to truly notice its full potential as more than a money-saver on wave 1 .

Upvote 0
The problem with the 9mm in its prior iteration was that it couldn't even one-hit headshot a Clot unless you were a SWAT or Commando with the respective 9mm skill, or a Gunslinger with Bone Breaker.

Fast forward to the what IMO is a buff, and people are complaining about how it doesn't have enough ammo, which comes off to me as "people can't be pleased" with where the 9mm is.

Suppose I should bring up this thread I made regarding how a compromise could be made between killing power and ammo capacity, where the base damage is brought back down to 15 per shot, but you can use Perk skills and passive damage bonuses to enable clot decapitation

Upvote 0
Disregard all that about the Fleshpounds dying in ~17 shots, I am completely wrong about that; I must've been remembering something before the damage values on either the 9mm or its upgrades got nerfed after the Summer 2018 update. I just tested it on 6P HoE with Commando and it takes 29 headshots to kill a Scrake, something like ~32 to kill a Fleshpound at Tier 5. That one's on me.

That being said, I'm not really convinced the 9mm needs the extra ammo in its current state. The M14 mains among us wouldn't complain in the sense that it would be a good buff for Sharpshooter/Gunslinger/Commando/SWAT (and I'm not sure they need it) but wouldn't matter much for everyone else. Probably.

Upvote 0