• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I Didnt Buy a Tank Sim

I Didnt Buy a Tank Sim

• Yes

Votes: 91 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 167 64.7%

• Total voters
Ron said:
No matter what you infantry lovers say i think TW made the right decision in catering for all tastes, personally i love them all but if it was just infantry i think i dont think i'd play as much. Give TW time to bring the tanks up to the level of infantry realism, no doubt TW inclusion of tanks is all part of their plan for the future so trust in their judgement cos chances are you infantry lovers calling for no tanks will be the ones proven wrong and TW right.

I wholeheartedly agree. No Tanks is ridiculous. Blitzkrieg relies on close co-operation between infantry and panzers (tanks). Rommel and Gudarian became legends because of their abilities. They wrote the new rules of war.... linear warfare was eliminated by them.

Bottom line; we need both in the game. Optional Admin Server configurations can cater to the rifles only, pistols only and water guns only, marshmallows only enthusiasts. The out of the box game should and must have it all.

Upvote 0
sure its good that there is more attention for tanks and all, and its fine by me that people play it, but ffs i dont want to! i love the infantry stuff in this game, and now thats hardly played in my experience cuz there is allways tank stuff on. thats what pisses me off
not more attention to vehicles but the lack of attention infantry now gets because of the vehicles. especially since there arent much servers to pick from :\
and i cant host, before you say something like that to me, like to amerikaner. its not an option to me.
for some people the tanks might be the reason to buy this game, for me, my reason for buying this game was the infantry. everybody just goes on about the tank stuff being great and all and thats what THEY bought it for, like Amerikaner's opinion doesnt count, cuz thats what it sounds like to me.
but for me, I bought it for infantry. im disapointed. its not the game's fault, but i would just like to see more infantry stuff, or i might just stop playing this game :( ( i dont want to really, but **** the tank stuff its ****ing things up for me, i cant enjoy it )
i have no trouble with CA maps though, because infantry is equally important and you can still get to kill some other infantry. but i see more tank only stuff. if there are 10 servers showing, then 8 are playing arad or barashka or ogledow or whatever. then there is one inf server, full usually, so i cant join, and the other has a huge ping wich will give me lag.

i hope you can see my point of view too, tanks are fine, but please some more inf?
the way i think you all think now is well, they should shut up becuz I think tanks rock and i want to play, they are egocentric or something.. but thats egocentric ( no one ever notices it in themselves though, including me so cant blame you for that ;) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Witzig said:
P.S.
Strahd just do me ONE simply Favor, stop writing my Name on your Bullets. You darn Vodoo priest...

I go left -> Witzig got killed by Strahd
I go right -> Witzig got killed by Strahd
I go through the middle, right through the Arty and survive it ! -> killed by Xarchon !!! That guy was born with a DP28 in his hands !!

*raises his eyebrow while liquating another bullet, then gets back to his work...*

Upvote 0
I really wonder how ppl still having strenght enough to whine about tanks? It should have been _VERY OBVIOUS_ after beta 3.0 that tanks are going to stay on RO. Did any alarm bells rang on your head when its name got suddenly a new title, "Combined Arms"? Even if you would have been completely new player at RO and haven't heard nothing about it you shouldn't have bought pig inside a sealed sack without checking what you've actually bought. I really cant say nothing else for ppl who are crying about them than, -"Cry me a river"...

Plus you gotta face the facts that RO wouldn't be even this little popular if it wouldn't have tanks on it. Since as many have said already that there's practically nothing spectacular new either good which would have got chance to gain proper playerbase. Eastern front either realism touch isn't enough. Also ROs advertising and visibility or not speaking about general conscience from past isn't that big as CoDs,DoDs,etc. so it wouldn't had chances to get their playerbase with about same concept. WW2 is so over-used already. Believe me or not RO have made zillions marketing analyses about which would be more buying, tanks or not tanks. They'r not just there because they'r made to annoy you.

I'm not agreeing either that they'r playing more tank maps than infantry. Most of the time infantry shooting infantry, not tanks. It maby just feeling like that when you'r disliking tank maps.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Alright, theres already been some discussion of this, mostly from my Euro clan mates but Im really sick and tired of getting forced into a tank map after every infantry battle.

RO has always been an infantry game. When vehicles were introduced they were to supplement the infantry aspect of the game. Combined arms was a great addition. Now with Ostfront, a third of the game is straight vehicle combat. Technically, more than half of the game is comprised of vehicles, not what RO does best, infantry.

This is way too much attention to vehicles. With a 32 player limit you cant fully realize the use of vehicles on the battlefield. 32 players is really even too small for just straight infantry battles but it works. When you throw in vehicles it just becomes an unrealistic arcade experience save the masterpiece which is Konigsplatz.

When I bought Ostfront, I bought it for the superior infantry aspects and expected that solidarity to only be supplemented with vehicles, not taken over by them. Its not that I think the vehicles are done wrong, its just that the focus has been way too warped. I dont consider tank combat a part of infantry combat and the line should have been drawn at Combined Arms.

Servers should be forced to be infantry only, infantry/combined arms only or tank only. If not that, then the game should be refocused on what RO has always done best. It was great that the devs wanted to put their infantry game above the others by adding vehicles, something which few other games did but now its gone too far. Infantry combat is far less constant when you're basically forced into a tank map every other time. And I dont think this should be left up to custom mappers which has been suggested. Yeah theyre great and are sure to produce great stuff but the best stuff comes from Tripwire and they should be the ones making the infantry maps, not only the fans.

what a stupid poll & thread.

Upvote 0
We could use some more infantry maps yes, but I think the new attention to armor is long overdue...there are tank sims out there but they don't have the graphics/sound/gameplay of RO, plus the combined arms aspect is great in itself. I think we just need some new maps like Kharkov, Kiev, Kursk, Leningrad, Rzhev-Sychevka, Velikiye Luki, many possibilities.

Upvote 0
Yeah, stupid thread.

RO needs more maps of all types, but I think the combined arms maps are the best. If you play as infantry, it's such a long way to walk from your spawn to the battle that it really forces you to use your head to survive. Taking on tanks as an infantryman is absolutely thrilling in the right circumstances. With new maps and new weapons in future, it should only get better.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, no, vehicles are not 'taking over' the game, well not from a design point at least. By that I mean that TW did not create the game as a tank sim foremost with infantry battle as an after thought.

BUT

In the sense of player mind set I find that vehicles are taking over very steadily. Over here in Australia there's only a relatively small community and it is extremely frustrating to be in a server where people vote for Arad/Ogeldow/Bondarevo constantly at every map change. It's also frustrating to get online and see the only full Aussie server is the Gamespace tanks only server which runs a mighty rotation of four maps (Arad/Ogledow/Barashka/Bondarevo). It just sucks the variety out of the game.

Ideally servers should be set to play a few infantry and combined arms maps then a tank map, then repeat. Voting just allows the mob reign to work and at the moment that reign is screaming "TANKS!!1!!!111!!". But alas it's their server, their choice.

I'm not saying I hate tank maps, I can enjoy a good tank battle, but I find playing map after map after goddamned map with nothing but tanks just gets so bloody boring.

Upvote 0
I didn't buy a tank simulator either, but the phrase "simulation level armored combat" (not a direct quote) did have to do with my buying decision. After the initial wows however, I found the tank combat quite disappointing.

There is hardly any realism to speak of regarding the damage modeling, and the solo tanking galore does not really enhance the experience either.

Upvote 0
Well i prefer the tanks ideally servers should really run all the maps, i like steady mix of them all infantry, ca , tank maps. I usually leave if a server is only running either tanks or infantry it can get boring. O and mkh give them a chance a fix the tanks your aware its broken the damage model.

Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
This might come as a shock to some people, but you don't have to play as a tanker on the tank maps. There are other infantry type classes to choose from.

It's a ton of fun playing on Arad and fighting for the villages on foot. Dodging and destroying tanks just adds to the rush.

I think the problem presently is there isnt enough infantry on tank levels and AI isnt great if TW were able to increase the player limit and make the AI better(so we can fill out tank levels) then i think infantry people would enjoy the tank levels better but then i dont forsee any change in the player limit for reasons mentioned numerous times.

Upvote 0
ThanhSa|Seirrah said:
I voted 'yes'. There are not enough infantry only maps. Myself and and many many of the people I play with are drifting away due to being bored of playing the same few maps. I'm not knocking anything, just being honest.

Patience look at the modding section there are plenty of infantry levels on the way or allready out not to mention TW probadly have one in the works.

Upvote 0