• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design how to do static mesh

Actually I believe you can create meshes in AutoCad.. you'd then Export them to DXF format and I believe the Unreal Engine can import DXF objects..
Unfortunately, I do NOT know how you would go about texturing them.. as I've never actually messed with AutoCad..

One workflow that might function would be to model buildings in AutoCAD and then import it into a 3d Modeling app (Maya/3dMax/etc..) to do all the Texturing/UV/what-have-you..

I've seen some pretty sweet DXF's in my day.. it'd be awesome to get something like that in game :]

Upvote 0
Basicly you can use any 3D program that can handle .obj or .dxf and convert the object so you can import them.

BUT

I recommand you to use the Maya PLE version as it has tools (which hopefully still work with RO) to export static meshes more easily.
Using Autocad will get you frustrated and leave you with the STJ-feeling. (having a perfect map that crashes the server every 5 minutes)

SO

Why start with static meshes when you are gonna learn how to map. First start with READING. There are plenty of books about leveldesign and startup the UEditor from the mod and see how stuff works in the Unreal engine. Then if you still there, learn how to use programs like Photoshop, Maya and try to figure out what terms mean like:
-UV-mapping
-Bump-mapping/Normal Mapping
-Shaders
-HOM effects

I'm not trying to discurage you not making levels but there is a lot you gotta know before even starting to work on one. Your first map will have lots of errors and will basicly suck. So startup the Mod and edit some stuff till the SDK is released. Only make Static meshes when you need one.

Good luck and if you got questions:

#RO-Leveldesign on Gamesurg IRC servers. For real time help from the community

Upvote 0
the reason i dont want to do a map is because of the time involved in learning ueditor, and all the research to make the map historicaly acurate.
but i allready have some modeling practice, so i just want to help someone making a map, and get some more practice at modeling.
my idea was to make the models in either autocad, or sketchup, and texture them in 3d studio (if that wont work i will model them in 3d studio).
now maya is a different story, mainly beacuse i dont have a copy of it.
I allready know how to texture, uvmaping, bumps, etc., cause i do 3d models of my projects (i am a landscape architect). all i want is to see my work in this game i play nonstop for almost 2 years now.

Upvote 0
Starrkiller said:
my idea was to make the models in either autocad, or sketchup, and texture them in 3d studio (if that wont work i will model them in 3d studio).
now maya is a different story, mainly beacuse i dont have a copy of it.
I allready know how to texture, uvmaping, bumps, etc., cause i do 3d models of my projects (i am a landscape architect). all i want is to see my work in this game i play nonstop for almost 2 years now.

If you got/know 3ds, you're fine :]

How do you like Sketchup btw?

Upvote 0
I've asked the same question 4 years ago (july 2002 aah the memories) on a 3d modelling forum. This was the thread: http://www.designcommunity.com/forum/7634.html
And this was the panther tank I was working on for a quake 2 mod called dday: normandy:
http://www.colpiron.50megs.com/images/pantherd_020428(3).jpg
(copy/paste the url, no remote linking allowed)
So basicly if you want to create models for gaming purposes, you're better of with a true modelling application like 3ds.

And Sketchup is a great tool. While typing this I should be working on a sketchup model for a design competition for a nursery school. I'll post some pics once the model is finished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0