• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do you guys prefer the gunsounds to be?

OP are you saying you are working on a sound mod? :D
RIF (Reading Is Fundamental)
Jerren said:
Hi you awesome peoples, I am one of the sound effects devs on the rising storm team.
:rolleyes:

Realistic. Of course.
But don't forget, too, the variety of calibers and weapons used. Needless to say a 9x19mm isn't going to have quite the punch of a 7.92x57mm Mauser.

Imo, a little "punch" may need to be added to some of the larger calibers to give it the "feel" of a louder sound and of being there. I would imagine that a problem with grenades, arty, etc. is the lack of being able to really simulate the concussion (without damaging one's ears :eek:), so I assume that is the reason for the added effects that are often given them.

Upvote 0
Seriously this just bothers me because for a game that's supposed to be an immersive war game it's like why are the sounds like this? and it should be honestly something that should be worked on as it's important for a game like this and it's very ridiculous the way it is now.
All the weapon sounds in the game have slight possible variations in both volume and pitch, between 0.95 and 1.1. So it's untrue to say that there's no variation between gunshots, yes they use the same sounds file, but the way they are handled in the cues alter the output. The changes are slight but noticable.

You wouldn't want wildly fluctuating sounds anyways, I've tried it, sounds aweful. :x

Upvote 0
Well, anyone that says they can't clearly hear an 8mm Mauser or a 7.62x54mm over the bullets supersonic crack at 300 meters clearly must be deaf...;) (I've done my share of scoring in the pits at the rifle range.)

I don't have the ballistics charts in front of me, but I wonder if a 9x19mm is still supersonic at that distance? iirc, at 300yds it has plummeted 8 FEET (2.5 meters) or more.

A typical AK47 7.62x39mm round drops about 42inches (a little more than a meter) at 300 meters (and just FYI, takes about .6 seconds to get there....you gotta lead...). Its still supersonic at that distance.

Upvote 0