• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I save assets inside map files?

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Before the release of RS, I had relatively little trouble saving assets such as materials and archetypes to the map file (TE-MapName.roe) I was working on, without need for an external package. Now, it's a bit strange. The content browser will allow me to do things like import meshes, create new materials, etc. and specify their location to be inside the map file, but when I try to use the "find package" function, the content browser fails to locate the asset inside the package. However, if I navigate again separately to the map file, the content browser displays the asset I saved. If I try to save the map file package, it gives me the "Cannot save map files via the map browser. Package not saved." dialog. I managed to get around this earlier through some messy sketchy process, but I forgot how I did it and in any case I feel like I should learn the proper way to do this.

What is the proper way to go about saving assets to a map file? :confused:

Make sure you are using the assets or the sdk will "clean up" after you save. I believe it will still say you have the assets after you save but you won't be able to use it. Therefore, after you import a model or a material, make sure it put it into your map somewhere before saving.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I am having a different problem than that. I can't even save the asset into the package to begin with. The content browser just tells me "Can't save map files via the content browser. Package not saved." It feels like the content browser is having trouble deciding where to put the asset itself, since I have to take a few extra steps to get the asset to even show up at all in the content browser.

Upvote 0
I noticed the content browser behaves differently under the RS build as well.

As I add custom content (textures/meshes/etc), the objects behave as you described Nightingale.

Mind, I am importing custom content directly into the map file, not a seperately named upk. Typically start with something like "RSTE-MyLevel99", do some work (import a Texture into the RSTE-MyLevel99 package), then save as "RSTE-MyLevel98", and so on down to "RSTE-MyLevel00", by then I should be done.

What I do is save the level, no external packages. Close the editor, and open back up the map after moving out any previous saves to a safe place from the my docs folder. The last version then opens with all content properly referenced.

Upvote 0