• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hits not registering

I guess this explains some of the things that can be percieved as no hit registration. You shoot and hit the same limb, but it is programmed only to take damage one time, and is impervious following that hit. So if you empty a clip on the same leg, the enemy will still be able to take you out with a headshot, he might not even need to bandage before moving on.

Furthermore, if another player then later hits this enemy in the same leg, he won't even have to bandage, and it will seem like the hit didn't register.

I think taking care of this (by for example introducing automatic non-lethal bleed out if the same limb is hit twice, and automatic lethal bleed out if hit for the third time) could alleviate at least some of the percieved problem of hit registration and it would become easier to find out about any real hit registration issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess this explains some of the things that can be percieved as no hit registration. You shoot and hit the same limb, but it is programmed only to take damage one time, and is impervious following that hit. So if you empty a clip on the same leg, the enemy will still be able to take you out with a headshot, he might not even need to bandage before moving on.

Furthermore, if another player then later hits this enemy in the same leg, he won't even have to bandage, and it will seem like the hit didn't register.

I think taking care of this (by for example introducing automatic non-lethal bleed out if the same limb is hit twice, and automatic lethal bleed out if hit for the third time) could alleviate at least some of the percieved problem of hit registration and it would become easier to find out about any real hit registration issues.

Interesting. Yeah that could be it indeed.

Upvote 0

This isn't really "new" news. That information was posted in the forums ages ago. We've known about this for quite a while now. Its hard (for everyone) to keep up with whats been said where, when 1,000's of posts about every little perceived in-game anomoly is re-posted hourly. It gets old having to constanly repeat information or re-link posts over and over and over again. Its hard enough trying to keep up with the new posts (that are usually old topics). Heaven forbid that anyone use any sort of inductive reasoning ...

But I guess its a price to be paid when players are passionate about the game. (I'd be more worried if there were no posts being made...;))

Upvote 0
This isn't really "new" news. That information was posted in the forums ages ago. We've known about this for quite a while now. Its hard (for everyone) to keep up with whats been said where, when 1,000's of posts about every little perceived in-game anomoly is re-posted hourly. It gets old having to constanly repeat information or re-link posts over and over and over again. Its hard enough trying to keep up with the new posts (that are usually old topics). Heaven forbid that anyone use any sort of inductive reasoning ...

But I guess its a price to be paid when players are passionate about the game. (I'd be more worried if there were no posts being made...;))

It is news that the devs finally made a statement about it and admitting that it is so.

I was perfectly aware of problems with it, and had seen the footshooting video long time ago. Now, with this conclusive evidence that is a statement from Yoshiro, then we can use it actively in figuring out causes about the actual hit detection problems.

Upvote 0
But they (the Devs or Yoshiro) said it long ago. They (the Devs or Yoshiro) explained how wounds worked, the points, the fact that you could get repeatedely shot in the foot/hand/whatever and suffer no additional damages, etc.

Maybe it was during the latter part of the beta, the early beta, I don't recall. Like I said, its hard to keep up with the multitude of repetitive posting that goes on...... Lots of guys don't even bother to comment or post anymore....:(

Upvote 0
But they (the Devs or Yoshiro) said it long ago. They (the Devs or Yoshiro) explained how wounds worked, the points, the fact that you could get repeatedely shot in the foot/hand/whatever and suffer no additional damages, etc.
Maybe it was during the latter part of the beta, the early beta, I don't recall.

Floyds right, I remember discussing the system with a number of players myself during the beta, in game and in a few threads in the beta testing section like this one where [TW]Ramm-Jaeger explains it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen a number of posts about going into cover rather than bandaging and then no longer needing to bandage, as well as posts on being shot in the torso and recovering though you shouldn't. Lets clear some things up about those two systems.

-The bandaging system is prioritized so that it must bandage before it activates the cover system. If you needed to bandage and you ended up in cover, it may not have played the animation, but it is highly likely you did bandage in the background.

-It is possible to recover from some shots to the torso without bandaging. Its often assumed that all torso shots are fatal without bandaging but they are not. This is often perceived as a hit registration problem, as are the limbs damage caps, like you fellas mentioned above.

I've definitely had this happen when the cover system was not in play (i.e. I did not enter cover after being 'wounded').

How exactly can a torso hit be non-fatal? Is this limited to glancing hits or is it possible to take a direct hit and still not be out of the fight?

Upvote 0
-It is possible to recover from some shots to the torso without bandaging. Its often assumed that all torso shots are fatal without bandaging but they are not. This is often perceived as a hit registration problem, as are the limbs damage caps, like you fellas mentioned above.

What do you mean with some shots ? How many is that ?

Upvote 0
So the answer is, if you are really lucky, you can survive one shot to the torso without bandaging. If you are really really lucky, you can get the bug listed below as well, and take two.

-Damage system- If you have taken no previous damage, its possible to survive a single shot from one of the weapons with lower damage rounds like pistols, particularly the P38 or Nagant, to the shoulder/upperarm (missing the bone), or abdomen. These rounds do not always do enough damage to reach the full 100 hit points when you bleed out. You can potentially survive a shot to the chest or stomach this way as well, as long as nothing vital is hit. In other words, the rounds that do the least amount of damage may not cause a fatal bleedout 100% of the time.

-BUG- You can take a single shot to a very small area between hit zones on the stomach. You will receive no notification on your HUD that you were hit. This is most likely to happen if you are shot with a C96 pistol, MP40, M1895, PPSH, TT33, or P38. A second shot there will trigger an instant death or fatal bleedout.

Reactions: TheDrStrange
Upvote 0
@CaseyHairyback

That can be a cause, be it's not the only one.

I had this happen to me today with a target that was standing perfectly still and we both had good pings (40-60):

So I shot someone, who was camping somewhere, with my Kar98. He healed and while he was healing I quickly bolted to shoot him again and kill him. Only I didn't kill him, the bullet didn't even hit a perfectly still target that I could hit only a moment before. He was still healing so I shot him again ... and again ... and again... until all my bullets ran out and he killed me after having healed. It appears my first bullet hit him perfectly fine but everything else never arrived.

The longer this thread goes the more causes for this 'bug' are revealed, which is not a bad thing. What is a bad thing though is that I started this thread over a month ago and with every patch I rejoice hoping that it would finally be fixed. It never is :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Floyds right, I remember discussing the system with a number of players myself during the beta, in game and in a few threads in the beta testing section like this one where [TW]Ramm-Jaeger explains it

Your link is a link to what is a restricted area of the forum for me ("you do not have permission to access this page"). So I think we can safely say that outside an esoteric circle of devs and pre-pre-release betatesters this was actually news.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your link is a link to what is a restricted area of the forum for me ("you do not have permission to access this page"). So I think we can safely say that outside an esoteric circle of devs and pre-pre-release betatesters this was actually news.

Sorry you are having issues viewing it, I'm not always the most computer savvy lady. Dont fret, if you are interested in reading it I've copied that post for you below, its a general explanation of the system as it was during the beta.

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM

I think you guys are missing something here. It is not that you can't hurt people by shooting them in the hands, feet, calves, forearms, etc. When you shoot someone in those areas you do indeed do damage. But you can only do so much damage to those areas. So here is how it works:

- Each hitzone on the player has a ZoneHealth associated with it. Hits on that zone can reduce the ZoneHealth to zero. After that, subsequent hits on that zone cannot make the health of that zone less than zero.
- If the total damage to all hitzones is more than 100, the player dies.
- All critical areas have a starting ZoneHealth of 100, which means that you can always kill a player by shooting them there.
- Some areas are instant kills, regardless of bullet damage, these are the head, neck, heart, and nuts.
- Some areas critically injure the player (femur bone, upper arm bone, etc), and when their ZoneHealth gets to zero the player dies slowly (screen goes black but you can take a few shots).
- All areas that aren't instant kill zones can cause you to bleed. The player takes half the bullet damage instantly, and then bleeds out the other half. If the player bandages they prevent themselves from losing the rest of that bleeding damage.

So here are some examples of how this plays out:

Example 1:
- Player gets shot in the instant kill zone Head
- Player dies instantly

Example 2:
- Player gets shot in the right hand for 5 health
- Player gets shot in the left thigh for 35 health
- Player gets shot in the left upper arm for 25 health
- Player gets shot in the right calf for 20 health
- Player gets shot in the right upper arm for 25 health
- All of the total damage has crossed 100 (110 in this case), so the player dies

Example 3:
- Player gets shot in the right upper arm bone for 50 (out of 100) health
- Player gets shot in the abdomen for 50 (out of 100) health
- All of the total damage has crossed 100, so the player dies

So as you can see, critical and lethal areas can always kill you, and cumulative damage to lots of non-critical areas can also kill you. But the idea here is, that if your big toe is sticking out the edge of a wall, someone can't kill you by continuing to shoot you in your big toe.

Also, the system rewards the player for skill in their aiming. It also give the player a bit more survivability (realistically) than they had in RO1. If we make it where subsequent shots to non-critical areas keep doing damage, the net effect will be that it is easier to die in the game. And I don't think anyone would really want it to be EASIER to die in RO2 :) (although there are some sadists out there)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So as you can see, critical and lethal areas can always kill you, and cumulative damage to lots of non-critical areas can also kill you. But the idea here is, that if your big toe is sticking out the edge of a wall, someone can't kill you by continuing to shoot you in your big toe.

Also, the system rewards the player for skill in their aiming. It also give the player a bit more survivability (realistically) than they had in RO1. If we make it where subsequent shots to non-critical areas keep doing damage, the net effect will be that it is easier to die in the game. And I don't think anyone would really want it to be EASIER to die in RO2 :) (although there are some sadists out there)

That isn't the problem, I have noticed the situations you described :). But the bug that causes you to shoot an entire clip at someone and not even hit him, or clearly headshot someone, hearing a hit sound and not hit him is still there.

I don't want it to be easier to die, I just want this bug fixed so that hits register correctly all the time and not 90-95% of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That isn't the problem, I have noticed the situations you described :). But the bug that causes you to shoot an entire clip at someone and not even hit him, or clearly headshot someone, hearing a hit sound and not hit him is still there.

I don't want it to be easier to die, I just want this bug fixed so that hits register correctly all the time and not 90-95% of the time.

I didnt say that that was the problem with shooting entire clips and not hitting someone etc. Floyd referenced a post he couldnt find and I reposted it for him. Just trying to be helpful/informative :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDrStrange
Upvote 0
I didnt say that that was the problem with shooting entire clips and not hitting someone etc. Floyd referenced a post he couldnt find and I reposted it for him. Just trying to be helpful/informative :)
Thanks, I appreciate that :) a lot of causes have come to light in this thread and I really appreciate everyone's input on the matter.

Any word on what the status is of this being fixed ?

It's just that after having put about 150 hours into the game I can't stand playing more than 15min anymore before shutting the game down because of this bug :(

Upvote 0
yea, lazar, im starting to get this bug/issue. What happens is sometimes when im shooting the gun will recoil but the actual shot isnt being made (no bullet hole or muzzle flash/smoke), bolt action rifles will cock the next shot in even though a real shot isnt being fired (ive never taken note to count how many real rounds work afterwards though, now that I think of it). Only happens online.Seems to happen at random here and there. Happens with any gun at random times, occurs a few times per map usually. Might have to do with servers having 64 players not being able to keep up? idk.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a lag (or delay) on the bullet on certain occasions, I don't know what's causing it.

I was shooting someone and instead of the bullet hitting him it arrived like a second late (maybe less) and hit the wall, the point where it hit the wall was the exact place that person was a second ago (where the bullet should've hit him but didn't). My ping was 48 and the guy this kept happening on was also around 50 so I have no idea what caused that bullet to lag.

Other times there doesn't seem to be an impact from the bullet anywhere.

And other times this bug doesn't even show up.

Upvote 0