• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey folks, just wondering what new game should i buy/get...?

[3.SA]Vladislav

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Australia
Just opening up any opinions here. First off I like vehicle based games...secondly, I like mostly WW1 to gulf war games or more modern RTS or FPS and thirdly, I rather PC or PS2.

My specs are Pentium4 2.6ghz, 512DDr ram and Ati radeon 9250 qith 2 cd rom drives (and yes, i know I need a video card and dvd rom upgrade. I get good fps with 90% of my games. Now i have BFV and 1942, Axis and allies, Red Orchestra (of course) CSS and DOD1.3 and source, MOHAA and MOHPA and EE2-if you dont know what some of these are, google em ;)

So, yeah, what games yall think I should try out and get
Bf2 and 2142 are on my list along with farcry, all i have tried the demos, also, my price range is $50 max.

Well my good commie friend, (hello m8 by the way) Farcry was a very good single player game even on my old Nvidia 5700 card ran great, LOOKED great and played great!
If you want to play something new well I think you may have to start looking @ upgrading my friend BUT I am quite sure you will find enough posters here to satisfy your every need, good luck m8 ;)

Relieve yourself of PA though, that was complete pish :mad:.
I have played all the MOHA series to date and yes the new one too ( just waiting on this bloody server patch!) good fun in some ways m8 but you will need a better card to even think about it, pixel shader 3.0........... ( I use an 8800 gts 640 card now :/ )

BFV i have had alot of fun wit over the years and still do when i get in the mood ;)
1942 was fun aswell......................................... but times have moved on i think from that now

=IcM= as you may not know still has a thriving community playing MOHAA and they have a great blast doing so, but =IcM= as you know it plays RO ( We have 2 Div's ) and as you quite well know that's a hard act to follow.

If i think of anymore cheery info m8 I will update this, just a bit tired @ the mo as I am an old man who spends too much time gaming and drinking too much for his own good, but feck it i have a blast :D

Upvote 0
well farcry's gonna be what- $15 aussie dollors or something less? So i'd maybe check that out if i were you. Not much mp going on after youve finished it thou.

You've already got Battlefield games so if you want different shooters go for Ravensheild though the mp community isn't massive. If you like MP co-op this and vietcong are good, and with the latter unlike BF series you get a brilliant single player campaign.

When you say you like vehicles A) does that include aircraft and B) have you got/can you get a joystick cos Il2 and the expansions wont be too expensive and its magic.

Upvote 0
i could try mafia and yes Wolfhound, I know about the video card upgrade-have asked on my xmas list for ati radeon 9500-9700 or nvidia 6800...

And yes, i have stopped MOHPA, completed it and rarely think about it :D-will uninstall it sometime...

How about Joint operations typhoon rising and any delta forces apart from BHD (black hawk down)

To the above^:I like all vehicle based and yes i have a joystick ;)

Upvote 0
Well you didn't list any C&C(Command and Conquer) games, so I'm going to recommend the giant collection pack C&C Decade or something like that...

sure it isn't realistic but the games are still pretty fun and have hilarious story lines. The basic premise of the second game they made was Einstein sending someone back in time to kill Hitler.

Also Crimson Skies is an excellent flight game that is still satisfying to play today.

BF2142 was a letdown, BF2 was great.

Rome: Total War and Medieval 2: Total War are very excellent RTS games as well.

Edit: I don't see Half-Life 2 on your list. You may not like the style, but if you have an open mind it is a good shooter with a good narrative.

Upvote 0
Well the C&C games in the pack are pretty old, so the graphics won't really impress you. It's all about sending crazy units to fight each other. One game has rocket motorcycles, spider cyborgs with nets, and a 10000 ton 4 legged tank with a railgun on top and AA missile launchers. Another one you have to make sure you bring dolphins with your fleet so you are protected from mind-controlled giant squid attacks.

Still would like to push Crimson Skies. Loved it, but you may have to find a specialty store or visit eBay/Amazon for it. You still might find the demo out there somewhere... it was the first level I think.

Upvote 0
i could try mafia and yes Wolfhound, I know about the video card upgrade-have asked on my xmas list for ati radeon 9500-9700 or nvidia 6800...

And yes, i have stopped MOHPA, completed it and rarely think about it :D-will uninstall it sometime...

How about Joint operations typhoon rising and any delta forces apart from BHD (black hawk down)

To the above^:I like all vehicle based and yes i have a joystick ;)

forget delta force series but joint ops is was pretty good as it goes. i really used to enjoy it - some games were madness. What you could do with vehicles, while hardly realistic, made for some true comedy moments.

Upvote 0
haha, I bet

is it still "active' now when i mean active not only popular but even its own community. Is it more popular then MOHPA, BFV or Delta force xtreme?

Similar numbers to what BFV gets of late- dunno about other 2- but in the game without the expansion i could always find a couple of servers with 75-150 people on them. About the same number or slightly less would play Escalation servers.
MIND YOU, this was on European region servers, so not sure how your side of the world fares. But with it featuring SASR and centering around E Timor i would have thought it popular in AUS.

Upvote 0
So far this year I've bought:

Red Orchestra (steam)
COD1/UO/2 (steam)
Armed Assault
Company of Heroes (steam)(Why? I don't like RTS games. Damn steam makes it too easy to just get stuff on a whim)
Stalker
Bioshock (steam)
The Orange Box (steam)

At this point I'm getting QW:ET and I'm done for the year.

Hopefully Ep2 will run decently on my 7600gt and I can put off upgrading till next year.

Upvote 0

I really feel STALKER is a complete and utter failure. The inventory system makes no sense, the subtitles are way off, the weapons aren't even remotely identical to those related in real life, even the dialogs are a mixture of good, solid English, and obvious horrible English. I feel like I've wasted my money, should've bought Bioshock instead, the demo really impressed me.

Upvote 0
I really feel STALKER is a complete and utter failure. The inventory system makes no sense, the subtitles are way off, the weapons aren't even remotely identical to those related in real life, even the dialogs are a mixture of good, solid English, and obvious horrible English. I feel like I've wasted my money, should've bought Bioshock instead, the demo really impressed me.

You are doing it on purpose, right? Lol, thats the most target specific trolling Ive ever seen. ;)

Upvote 0
I have HL2 ;) +css as mentioned etc..etc...

I just heard from 3SAVlad about that C&C pack...might get it...once i see some footage of C&C and even the demo....

How is Arma, joint operations typhoon rising and IL2?

I play Arma quite regularly, and find it alot of fun dispite it's obvious flaws and the matches i play on saturday have regularly about 120 130 people on them over a massive island map.

I have Joint Ops here floating about somewhere but could not really get into it for some strange reason...........still don't know tbh :p

IL2 is another firm favourite of mine and alot of fellow clan m8's get together form time to time to play online. Oh if you are going for this game get 1946 as it's all the other games combined up to that point.

COH's is another great RTS game and with all the custom maps out there you will have lots of fun with it. My own preference is to get 2 or 3 friends together and spank the AI ( NOT all the time though )

Upvote 0
Heh, well, if you read the Stalker thread you'll find out I'm probably the biggest Stalker fanboy on the forums.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16647&page=31

Atmosphere, feel of the guns, movement, graphics (especially lighting), sound, story everything about Stalker I felt was unbelievably good. I never really ran into any bugs.

Bioshock on the other hand I feel is overly consolized and geared for mass appeal over good gameplay.

Upvote 0