• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Help(2 questions)?

[Mad_Murdock]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
I have been working on a couple of maps in my spare time, theyre nowhere near done yet, but look promising.

One is an all-indoor map (with vehicles, lol), of a factory.
And the other one is a suburb, this one is kind of reminiscent of the french villages on the western front so i dont know how the community will take to that, but i suppose it could stand for something in say, poland for example i'm gonna have to find a good setting.

Anyways my mapping skills show two serious drawbacks that I was hoping you guys can help me with.

1.) I have no idea how to make heightmaps or any other form of terrain, i really need help with this because the world isnt flat and i want to make a map with decent terrain.

2.) For the love of everything holy i cant seem to be able to path bots, any tutorials out there?

Btw, any more suggestions for maps I could try?

Bot pathing

Bot pathing

I agree with what is said that bot pathing is nothing you need to worry about right now. Making the map look good and functional is your primary goal. Have you downloaded the SDK manual from this site? I believe this is a good starting point because it covers alot of basics and walks you through making a basic map (indoors). Its in the download section. Towards the end it, it shows you basic bot pathing so that is why I'm asking. As in the manual, I believe bot pathing is the last thing to do on a map, or skip it. An excellent source of info is the Unreal Developers Network (from the editor click "Help" and click "Unreal Developers Network") and Unreal Wiki. When searching the web, look for "Unreal editor or mapping." This will give you alot of sites for your terrain, textures, BSPs, volumes, bots, etc. For specific Red Orchestra questions search this forum. Hope that helps.

Reservoir Dog

PS I'm a beginner mapper too. There is alot of information out there and here. There are sites that give more information on one topic more than others, so I have started creating subfolders in my bookmarks under each topic like "volumes." Makes it alot easier to find things when you need them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0