• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

heavy/medium mg placements

dweeb

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2006
So one thing I've never figured out: How does heavy mg placement work exactly?

There has been a couple of times I've discovered an mg in an absolutely devastating position and inevitably when in some other round I decide to go back there, the mg is no longer there. So are these randomly placed on any surface that will take them? Do they swap between several pre-placed options? Am I missing something and somebody is actually deciding somehow where these go? Are some randomly placed and some arent? etc.

Last edited:
so how random is the MG placement - are they placed on predefined positions or truly entirely random?

I've seen already some weird/silly/useless placements but only decided to screencap one this last session.

post and upload your weird/silly/useless fixed MG palcements here!

Attachments

• SillyUselessMGplacement01a.jpg
    SillyUselessMGplacement01a.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SillyUselessMGplacement01b.jpg
    SillyUselessMGplacement01b.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
so how random is the MG placement - are they placed on predefined positions or truly entirely random?

I've seen already some weird/silly/useless placements but only decided to screencap one this last session.

The one in the screen shots you posted would likely be used for suppressing Russian players in the windows of the grain elevator.

Upvote 0

Isn't that one in a perfect position to hose the entire front face of the Grain Elevator?

I wouldn't do it myself, though, since manning one of these things is instant suicide without at least two other guys supporting / spotting for you.

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0

Each map has multiple locations for MG spawns, and when the map starts, the game randomly picks where (out of the specified locations) it wants to place the MGs. That is what TW said in one of the previews.

EDIT: The gun in those pics is probably there for suppressing the players in upper floors looking through the windows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Richey79 and skullman86,
I agree that this MG is only half useful/-less as you can rake the building - but not the flat ground in front.

skullman86: Each map has multiple locations for MG spawns, and when the map starts, the game randomly picks where (out of the specified locations) it wants to place the MGs. That is what TW said in one of the previews.
That's what I thought frankly, but they did make some poor placing choices...mostly by obscenely obstruced field of fire and vision...

lets document our findings here!

Upvote 0
That's what I thought frankly, but they did make some poor placing choices...mostly by obscenely obstruced field of fire and vision...

lets document our findings here!

I agree, there are some places that need to be tweaked do to obstructions (windowsills and whatnot), but there are a few where I think the awkward positioning is somewhat justifiable. I think the idea for the HMGs was to make them devastating, but situational so they wouldn't totally undercut the MG role. Some HMGs have a better line of sight than others, but their effectiveness still relies on enemy movement and the active objectives.

The gun near propaganda house on Apartments is a good example of this, I think. You have a HUGE area to shoot at, but if the Allies go towards the ruins side of the map (east?), you get absolutely no action. That gun would be stupidly OP if it weren't for the fact that the enemy could just walk around it.

Also, remember that there are 2 guns per side, so if one is tunnel vision towards the 3rd floor, what is the other gun doing? It may be that both guns *together* cover a large area, and to be 100% effective will require teamwork...not Rambo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0