• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Guesses on when we can start to map for RO:O?

Monk

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Just curious if you guys know when we'll be able to get started mapping. Any chance we'll be able to before the game "ships?" From what I understand our old maps will have lots of useless bits which we'll need to fully rebuild so I'm curious to get any more details asap. Thanky in advance.

Monk

My guess would be that if you want to start a map prior to the release, you could always do the terrain and block out the major structures using BSP's. These aren't likely to change and will probably be safe.

On the other hand, it seems to me that textures, meshes, emitters, and map actors could all have potentially changed considerably. Any decision on those should probably wait until the game is released.

So, I'd say you could start now, if you wanted. The only risk is that the basic map files themselves aren't compatible.

Upvote 0
Also, if you want to port current maps using existing RO artworks, you might want to either make sure you include a copy of those files, make new textures to use instead, and/or ask the devs if you can include existing RO artwork in your new map (since they said most of the artwork is new, you might want to just make extra sure you can re-use their existing work).
Also all the actors and stuff have changed IIRC.

Upvote 0
Lonyo said:
Also, if you want to port current maps using existing RO artworks, you might want to either make sure you include a copy of those files, make new textures to use instead, and/or ask the devs if you can include existing RO artwork in your new map (since they said most of the artwork is new, you might want to just make extra sure you can re-use their existing work).
Also all the actors and stuff have changed IIRC.

Yes, what he said. If you build all of your own textures and stats, or use mod ones placed into new packages (I suggest not doing this) you could technically have a map that would only need sounds and RO actors, so it would be ready basically a day after the release. However, there is a lot of very high quality stuff coming on the art front, so it would also be smart to wait and utilize that in a custom map. So your choice, basically. I would, if you are interested in starting something new, set up a plan and block it out like ding suggested, (and share it too btw) and decide from there whether you want to convert/make art for it or wait for art from the release.

Upvote 0
You could already start a few aspects of level design, since designing a good level for Red Orchestra is best done with proper design and research.

Things you can already start out to do:

- Look for proper scenario's, a compelling story, a few photgraphs, whatever tickles you.
- Find out where and when this story or photographs were taken.
- Research you map thouroughly: find photo's, look for websites on the region, the city, find simular architecture, read about the local culture, climate and history, VERY important! Places dont just exist suddenly, they grow :)
- Plan you map (in your head on paper, what ever works), collect your basic reference material for the map in a seperate directory for easy reference (buildings, fences, streetlights, interiors, vegetation, landscape)
-Block out you basic layout using only terrain and bsp (I usually start with a grid texture on everything)

Up to this stage you should be fine. For the rest I'd wait for RO:O's new art assets, since everything that is preserved from the MOD art is relocated by us anyway after optiumizing and reworking UV's and textures)

Upvote 0
Will RO:O will come with it's own SDK, including the all standard UnrealEd, Unreal Matinee and all (free-to-use only for Red Orchestra mapping) Red Orchestra: Ostfront models, artwork, sounds, animations, textures and bumpmaps to use for community mapping?

It would make RO:O mapping more friendly, and it would make overall RO:O modding easier/friendlier.

Upvote 0