• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server GS Game Server Servers and New Content

I blanket answered any questions by stating I've tried EVERYTHING.

Everything was working without changing anything on the server and having the server setup and configured originally before the patch and after the patch.

After the large patch, the (Fast Download) stopped as if there was no redirect period.

When the maps download this slow it's no different than if someone had a server without redirect and loads up a custom.

I've followed every single suggestion, by moving items from original .ini and creating each one for custom map put in proper locations. Moved the .roe files from location to location. I've tried renaming them .upk, every suggestion to the T.

I've been administering RO and RO2 servers for years and the only thing this is pointing to is that Redirect is dead on the GS side and nothing I've done or tried is working and will probably not work.

As stated I put in a ticket the other day to get the latest patch installed and it was handled within an hour. The redirect ticket was put in the day of the patch when I noticed they were no longer downloading fast and even with re-brewed maps in place. the url is correct to their location in the ini and yet once I turned in the redirect ticket - I got a response that they were handing this ticket over to one of their redirect experts again this was within an hour.

I have heard NOTHING since. I also, about a week or so ago when another mini patch was released had to have the server updated, it took an hour to have it done and I also asked about the original ticket for redirect and they only stated it was still being researched and they'd get back to me once they had a resolution. Still NOTHING.

With all of that said I can only think it's on their side, not mine because everything works no matter how I configure it (Meaning maps show up in webadmin, show up in game and can be chosen, and are getting downloaded) - JUST NO FAST DOWNLOAD or REDIRECT as it's supposed to work. Whole reason you pay extra for Redirect is to have them download as fast as your connection will allow.

Upvote 0
So because you surely missed my reply, here it is again:

If it does not work and don't redirect you, try to acces with your browser to http://***********/server/maps/RSTE-KitaJima_v9.roe if it fails to download, this is the problem.

does it simply download in browser?

If not it is the problem, the URL is bad or redirect is dead. also maybe you can try another redirect url like Tripwire's one (if it is updated)

edit: http://redirect.tripwireinteractive.com/ro2/ curently 0 maps :D hum...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok it's narrowed down. Definitely GS Game Servers issue. I placed all the .roe files on my website and changed the redirect in ini to point to there. They downloaded instantly.

Sorry I couldn't test this earlier only because of time issues and time to configure my site for the types of files etc.

At least now we know where the problem lies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just because one can't download directly from the url, doesn't mean the url is incorrect.

Gameservers probably fubar'd their MIME file extensions yet again. Its happened in the past. They do that every so often and they don't seem too interested when a client points out the obvious. I don't know if the problem is the results O/S updates on their end or from moving redirects around on different machines. The end user is quite limited with their redirect system (as compared to other GSP's who's names shall go unlisted). And as their system is very rigid, they don't give the end user much of a way to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just because one can't download directly from the url, doesn't mean the url is incorrect.

Gameservers probably fubar'd their MIME file extensions yet again. Its happened in the past. They do that every so often and they don't seem too interested when a client points out the obvious. I don't know if the problem is the results O/S updates on their end or from moving redirects around on different machines. The end user is quite limited with their redirect system (as compared to other GSP's who's names shall go unlisted). And as their system is very rigid, they don't give the end user much of a way to troubleshoot.

I agree. That's part of what I had to do to my site just to get the files to download - which was something I've really never toyed with much. My website is on a Windows 2012 system and I could not for the life of me figure out why the .roe would not just download when placed in my root because all other files in the past would just work - obviously known types and pre-configured. I then did exactly what you stated and had to add .roe as a MIME type and bingo.

I just can't use my site as a permanent redirect only because it too falls on my same network and would interfere with my gaming. ;)

Upvote 0
Another thing to check is the case of the files. Linux re-direct servers often have a problem with the way RO asks for files. (Windows re-directs don't care about letter case). Try making absolutely certain that the uploaded file names are capitalized exactly as they are 'called'. I don't have a web admin page handy, but iirc, there is a way to manually type in the file names. The server wiki had some info on that toward the bottom of the page, but I can't find the wiki.

Found it...
http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=RO2_Dedicated_Server#Known_Issues_to_Avoid

Known Issues to Avoid
## Linux Redirect

As a redirect server can be a Linux machine, it is very important admins have the closing forward slash in the URL as well as spell all map names in lowercase. Failure to do so will result in a broken redirect and clients will only obtain a 1kb file of the proper name but not the actual files. Also take care when adding the map data store to the ROGame.ini to use lowercase as well as the server will use those file names over any typed in as an admin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't control anything on the GS servers as far as their redirect is concerned. There is nothing what so ever I can do to fix their end.

I know they are on nginx because if you try accessing their redirect that's where it takes you.

I proved it was on their end just by pointing the redirect to my Windows host and my web site I run and files downloaded properly.

GS does something very strange with their redirect - they copy off the files from where we upload them, then it places them elsewhere for their redirect - other server and possibly location.

It's going on a month now and they've yet to respond to my redirect issue or ticket. Still waiting for a response and resolution.

Anyone else with GS (Game Server) server that actually has it working???

Upvote 0