• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Grenades

Zingu

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
Hello! I played RO for UT2004 alot, for some reason I stopped, lost my UT2004 discs and I all of a sudden found this. I personally love Red Orchestra due to the realism, nothing can compare when your comrades and yourself hit the dirt with german bullets whine and crack over your heads and the shouts of advancing German soldiers come closer. Also the glorious statisfaction of the crack of your rifle and watching your target crumple to the ground.

Anyways, I wanted to give a few types for what is probably one of the most notoriously destructive weapons in the game; grenades.

Grenades; even if used effectively or uneffectively can cause serious damage. Incredibably dangerous for both the target and the person in question holding it, I wanted to give a few tips on grenades, what I can think up from my experince playing RO.

1) Only pull the pin on a grenade if you know where you're throwing it

This is probably one of the most hazardous mistakes I have seen in RO, a Russian squad of about 6 people would start advancing and one teammate will pull the pin and hold the grenade ready for throw, this is bad because in a common scenario:

Germans sees Russians, Germans open fire on Russians, Russians take cover, grenade wielding Russian gets shot, dead russian drops hot grenade, unlucky teammates must then either run out from cover and get mowed down, or hope its a dud or get blown to smithereens.

Which brings me to a second point:

2) When throwing a grenade, try throwing it from cover if possible

If you are in a situation where you have combat between two sides, attempt to first locate where you want to throw it, and then throw it in that direction from cover. This minimizes the chance of being shot in the middle of pulling the pin.

An other common tactic is to pull the pin behind a corner, and then leaping out from the corner and throwing, and then jumping back behind. Its a little more risky, sometimes enemies will already have their sights lined up waiting for you to pop up.

There are scenarios when its revatively safe to throw a grenade in the open, say if your target is holed up in a house, and you control the outside.

3) Be careful to aim when throwing a grenade

If aiming at a window or a door, its very important to have a checklist before you throw:

1) Are you at the right elevation, is your target lined up correctly?

2) Are there any teammates near your target?

If there are teammates, you should double check your aiming, its not good to get sloppy.
Its good to give ample warning that you are throwing a grenade in this scenario, especially if you are assaulting a compound or building when you have freindlies advancing.

4) BEWARE OF ANGLES!!!!

An other potentional, and quite often one, is angles, especially on urban maps. It happens to everyone, you'll chuck a grenade, and it will bounce off that odd peice of debris just above you and bounce right back at your head, or even worse, into the midst of your teammates.

Always make sure your throwing path is clear, if your enemy is close, use the underhand tossing instead!

5) Know your grenade

German stick grenades are armed and ticking the second you pull the pin, Russian grenades are armed but will not explode until you throw or start to "cook" it.

6) Cooking grenades

If you want to get fancy and cook your grenades, be sure you are counting correctly, I've done this mistake myself where I will be going "okay, uh 1...2"-BOOM! and you have a grenade explosion in your face, and its rather funny for your enemies to watch.

Cooking grenades have some tactical advantages, it cuts the time enemies have the chance to escape, or you can create aerial explosions above entrenched enemies.

7) How to avoid being a victim of a grenade

Achieving this is actually quite dismally low, but is possible.

What happens if a grenade lands next to you? In most cases; run, to a other nearby cover. But remember, most of the time, the enemy throws greandes to flush you out, not to kill you. If indoors, run into the next room, if outdoors, to the next obstacle or ditch/hole/thing in ground hiding you from enemy fire. If it is really hopeless, just run out and when it explodes, run back, it sometimes has worked for me.

There are cases if you are in ample cover, you don't have to run. I've had many experinces when grenades are exploding all around me and I keep shooting. How to do this?

Stay prone, preferably try to be in a negative elevation to where the grenade might land (i.e a crater), they can literally explode next to you and you won't be hurt, On RO_Berlin I was crouching on stairs and a grenade exploded 4 stairs above me and I wasn't scratched one bit.

Walls and debris also give ample protection, lying right next to a wall, or pile of something will pretty much negate a blast that lands right next to it, even if its a ruin of a wall...as long as you are lying down.

If in large open rooms, try to running to the walls expect for the one opposite of the doorway, enemy thrown grenades from the outside usaully land in the middle of the room, the farther you get away from the middle before it goes off, you less chance you have in dying.

An other good trick I learned was, if defending ledges, or sometimes building is to stay close to the wall/ledge/ect. that you are shooting from. I remember one game on RO_Kaukakas, where we were defending the ledge in front of the front gate, and literally dozens of german grenades were flying past us, hitting the wall behind and exploding harmlessly. It actually is harder for the enemy to kill you with grenades if you are on the edge of an elevated platform, due to the fact its incredibly hard to land a grenade on the edge without it missing and coming back down.

7) Good and Bad uses for grenades

Grenades don't work against tanks, period. But when talking about open roof APCs...thats a different story.

Throwing grenades at a target signifigantly higher than you usaully will either work out as you: 1) missing or 2) what goes up, must come down (yes, dying). If you are above your enemy, then you have a very clear advantage, able to see them more clearly and theres less possiblity of them achiveing cover from your fiery rain of destruction.

(more later, feel free to contribute )

zayd: when you "cook" a grenade - that is, hold it after you've pulled the pin and let the spoon fly off - there is a limited and (unfortunately) variable number of seconds after the spoon flies off before it explodes. I know, not all grenades can/could be "cooked" and not all of them have spoons like the U.S. grenades; just using those terms for example. So, you let the spoon fly and count: "One, two, throw" - or "One, two, three, f --BOOM!" The idea of counting is to get the grenade as close as you can to "BOOM!" without it getting there, then throwing it at the enemy.

The quotation marks means that it was an intentional misquote from Monty Python's "Quest for the Holy Grail", the scenes where the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is used against the Vorpal Bunny, IIRC.

:D

Upvote 0
Cooking nades sucks in practice, like in uo... when you ran into an enemy holding a nade and throws it at you (your almost standing next to him) your dead becuz of the cooking. They almost use it like a bazooka, which is absolutely not realistic so shouldnt be in RO:OST. Offcourse in ww2 some people use cooking, but that would me more 1 out of 20 then ingame where almost everybody uses it. So i would say dont use cooking at all, or make it really dangerous.

Upvote 0
when you throw a grenade notice your left hand you will throw it exaclty where your finger is pointing I throw grenades in windows while running 90% accuracy or so.

also a little off subject when you are in a tank uning the binnoculars to aim and then rollong back in the tank to fire allows for exact firing positions and also binnoculars zoom in 30% farther. So you fire and watch where the round hits on the binnoculars, then you move that spot on the tank and boom the next round hits it. Now instead of using the triangle sights you can actually hit top bottom left right of the fron of the tank allowing for better destruction.

Upvote 0
absoulutley on the 3.3 UT2004 version you can aim perfectly with the binoculars they are what you would call slaved to the barrel. I am not sure about the new game though.

you can litterally hit the turret or the front of the tank or even left right up and down of just the fron of the tanks at distance.

make sure you aim with binnoculars then carefully go back in the turreet shoot and wait half a second then you can roll back to binnoculars and catually watch it travel and hit in real time on the binnocular sights then readjust you aim if needed and redo.

I get a lot of first time hits with this method because its true aiming. i find when you aim through the triangle sights its a kind of auto aim or adjustments are made by the game. my way you can truly adjust micro up and down and it actually works 100% accuracy.

Upvote 0
ahh crap i forgot

what is with the grenade timing in this new version boy 2 or 2.5 seconds it seems also the satchels are like 3 seconds barley enough time to run.

why the large change who made that decision and which is the real world grenade timings. cooking grenades now is almost useless but I wont complain if its more realistic timming. but if it is why no change in version 3.2 or 3.3?:confused:

Upvote 0