• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

green bouncing mg bullets?

Linoleum

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Midlands UK
ive been playing ostfront for a few weeks now and noticed that mg42's tank mgs etc (not smg's or rifles) have greenish bullets (when flying through the air and ricoshaying off things) they also seem to bounce unrealisticly, i noticed it rarely happend in the mod but the problem seems to be kinda worse in the new version, seeing as its made from the UT engine could be something to do with that, not sure if its just me, if you lot arnt getting it il take a screenshot.

also when will this aol issue be solved?

cheers.:D

Zath said:
Green tracer rounds and bullets ricocheting i.e. bouncing off things are completely realistic. Perhaps the tracers could be made a bit thinner though, as currently they resemble Star Wars blaster beams. I'm not distracted though... :)

bullets don't bounce off dirt soil (it digs in)

bullets bounce off of metal/glass it can't penetrate (pretty much everything armored) and other objects at small angles

also I don't believe the tracer smoke looks like laser, but more like a very small smoke trail, but as u know its hard to simulate how smoke trails fade to air (especially without taking all the fps)

its a bit too starwarsy when an MG is firing (and theres plenty videos out on the net of airplanes using the smoke just haven't seen many MG videos like that. Usually the bullets just show up as "flameballs" at night (not green laser beams :) ) and the dodge is overdone (I can't imagine bullets not penetrating bricks, I have a family member that had a bullet drop through his roof that was shot a few km's out of town into the air and have it penetrate the roof at such range

Just sharing my opinion :)

Upvote 0
There have been several threads on this, it's generally the opinion that the tracer effect is a bit overdone.
Bullets do ricochet from a variety of surfaces if the angle is right, even water. On soil, they will frequently penetrate,then come back out again. I was once firing round-nosed .45 ACP rounds into a an old, weathered hickory stump, and had one come out the top at right angles to the point of entry, and one come back out the same way it went in and hit me in the leg! (fortunately spent)

Upvote 0
also I don't believe the tracer smoke looks like laser, but more like a very small smoke trail, but as u know its hard to simulate how smoke trails fade to air (especially without taking all the fps)
its a bit too starwarsy when an MG is firing (and theres plenty videos out on the net of airplanes using the smoke just haven't seen many MG videos like that.
Absolutely, I have fired tracers myself when I was doing my armed service, and they look like thin (not wider than a bullet ;)) bright lines, and they should be more white and less green. I.e. the tone of the color isn't quite right, IMHO.
However, this probably need not be quite on top of a fixes list. :)

Also, I believe that the devs have tested the possibility of thinner tracers, and they most likely have good reasons to have them the way they are now. So I am not asking for a change here really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0