• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German MG's crap?

I have to agree, especially the 42 can be basically useless while the DP is deadly accurate.

Once I was just in a perfect position with the 42 and saw a Soviet coming at me at about 30 meters max, I put a perfect short burst right at him at this ridiculously short range, no effect, another burst, oh he must be dead by now....oh oops he's shooting at me! OK, Looooooong burst, another long burst right on him-oops, I'm dead. :mad: Later, when I complained about the 42, he admitted that I had hit him in the leg. This is just one example of many ridiculous and frustrating situations with the German MGs. You just stare in disbelief as the rounds seem to go anywhere but at your target, while the sights stay on him all the time.

I've tried so hard to like the 42 and 34, used one-click bursts, longer bursts, aimed low, aimed high, fought the recoil lightly and strongly, and still they're basically USELESS compared to a rifle at long range. Don't get me wrong, you can get kills, but only if you're incredibly patient and the enemy are incompetent. The thick "shoot me" tracers just make matters worse while you don't have any real use for them yourself. The only real application for the German MGs is suppressing a medium-range target, which puts you in range for grenades. They're real scatterguns. The MG-34's semiauto option doesn't help any either. The German MGs are very cool for atmosphere and some rare close-range hallway suppression, but that's it, for anything other than joking around I'll choose a rifle or a DP.

By comparison, the DP is very accurate, low-recoiling and doesn't even need a barrel change. :rolleyes:

MG lovers don't take this personally or anything, but this is the impression I've gotten over and over again from really trying to use the MGs properly.

Upvote 0
LemoN said:
ive once touched the mg 42 and ive nevr used it again scince it has a huge recoil and the bullets spread a 50 meter radius @ 50 meters distance

That figure isn't even close to accurate. The MG42 is fine. If you don't like it, then don't pick the class. It's obvious from all of your talk about "sniping with a machine gun" that you have no idea how the machine gun class operates in a squad anyway. You'd be better off with a rifleman or maybe a sniper kit, though if you can't hit a target more than 50 meters away with a machine gun then I doubt you'd be much good with a precision rifle.

Upvote 0
Blankku said:
Once I was just in a perfect position with the 42 and saw a Soviet coming at me at about 30 meters max, I put a perfect short burst right at him at this ridiculously short range, no effect, another burst, oh he must be dead by now....oh oops he's shooting at me! OK, Looooooong burst, another long burst right on him-oops, I'm dead. :mad: Later, when I complained about the 42, he admitted that I had hit him in the leg. This is just one example of many ridiculous and frustrating situations with the German MGs. You just stare in disbelief as the rounds seem to go anywhere but at your target, while the sights stay on him all the time.
Trying to use "burst fire" was your first mistake. Just hold the fire button down while adjusting for recoil until the target is dead. Even if it takes you a few seconds to hit him (and it really shouldn't if you're any good; 30 meters is an incredibly short range), he won't be able to get an accurate shot on you with all of those bullets flying around him (the game blurs your screen when bullets whiz by you making it very difficult to aim and lowering your overall awareness). Also, the MG42 gets more accurate as it warms up. Bursting it will just cause you to miss repeatedly; you need to hold it down so you can adjust for consistent recoil. The only time you want to burst is when you are trying to conserve ammo while suppressing an enemy behind cover. If you can actually see your target, then you ought to be holding down the fire button.

Blankku said:
I've tried so hard to like the 42 and 34, used one-click bursts, longer bursts, aimed low, aimed high, fought the recoil lightly and strongly, and still they're basically USELESS compared to a rifle at long range. Don't get me wrong, you can get kills, but only if you're incredibly patient and the enemy are incompetent. The thick "shoot me" tracers just make matters worse while you don't have any real use for them yourself. The only real application for the German MGs is suppressing a medium-range target, which puts you in range for grenades. They're real scatterguns. The MG-34's semiauto option doesn't help any either. The German MGs are very cool for atmosphere and some rare close-range hallway suppression, but that's it, for anything other than joking around I'll choose a rifle or a DP.
If you try and use it like a rifle, a machine gun is going to seem useless. There's a reason that the developers decided to let every single member of the team rearm the machine gunner; you're supposed to be very liberal with your ammunition usage. Find a secure spot behind your riflemen and open up in the general direction of the enemy. If you see an enemy pop his head up, fire at his position. If he puts his head down, keep firing in bursts of variable length (use an inconsistent pattern to keep your enemy guessing). Keep firing until he is either dumb enough to put his head back up or your teammates get smart enough to maneuver toward him and either toss a grenade or flank him out. A machine gun has an area target range that exceeds the point target range of a rifle. You aren't trying to snipe people with a machine gun; your goal is to suppress the enemy. In this game, you'd be surprised how many kills that will ultimately get you.

Blankku said:
By comparison, the DP is very accurate, low-recoiling and doesn't even need a barrel change. :rolleyes:
Yeah, when the DP overheats, you're just screwed. The thermal gloves that the German machine gunners use allow them to change their barrel, which lets them fire constantly, suppressing the enemy more effectively than the DP. The Russian machine gunners need to be more careful; if their barrel overheats they are left with only their sidearm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The MG42 isn't as bad as it was.. but yes I find the DP better overall. The lack of a barrel change is annoying, but the ability to put a constant stream of bullets out with good accuracy is something the German MG gunners can only dream of.

I think a major problem is the animation for the German MGs, it really does appear to go all over the place. It makes burst firing with the MG-42 very difficult to do with any degree of accuracy. The DP is just more effective and certainly far easier to use. Though the MG-42 is still very fun to use now and then.. and certainly sounds and looks the meanest ;)

Upvote 0