• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gaming mice

Well, I went out and bought a Cyborg Rat 7 and returned it today.

-Some buttons cannot be reprogrammed at all. 7 in all with 5 programmable
which doesn't seem like much to me for a gaming grade mouse when others
offer 11 or even 13 on some.
-No left and right movement on the thumb wheel, just the normal forward,
back and down which again seems odd to me for a gaming grade mouse.
-The precision aim is in an odd place, sits real low and forward.
-The interchangeable parts do not change it by very much and even the pinky
rest I feel would take some time to get used too but still kinda cool.
-The adjustable thumb rest with the built in removable hex tool to adjust it,
barely moves at all. The range of movement is next to nil.

I had hoped it ran as good as it looks but unfortunately, imo, that's all this mouse has going for it. The badazz looks.

That been said I have no doubt that there are those out there that will thoroughly enjoy this mouse. I feel this way because of the big mitts I have and so that does have a lot to do with it but I still feel it could have done just a little more than what it claimed.

So.. I ended up buying a Logitech G700.
Right out of the box I notice it comes with a rechargeable battery. I wish more of the cordless mice just had a charging cradle/station but, anyways.... I'm just now taking er out for a spin and so far I like it. Plenty of programmable buttons for a guy like me who likes that.
It also fits and feels nice in my big mitts (hands)
So far so good.

I've tried a number of different mice over the years and funny how I always end up being happy with some Logitech model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I went out and bought a Cyborg Rat 7 and returned it today.

I had a look at one yesterday which was on display and thought "no way".
I use a G5 btw.

I did buy an X4 Sidewinder Keyboard with pretty looking background red lighting, macro keys and across the board anti-ghosting system!
I'm very pleased with it, so cool.

Now, what can I do with the programmable keys in RO or BF3 or ArmA ?

Upvote 0
G500 my initial impression-

Build quality of the scrollwheel seems poor - it doesn't click nicely (perhaps a result of the ratchet disable funtion) and the left/right tilt seems isn't assured either. I had a cheap dell tilt wheelmouse that had a more solid feel - so that's surprising.

Other build quality seems ok - although i hope the tight bends in the braided cable come out, from where it was folded up in the packaging.
It has a 3 year guarentee aparentely so i guess I don't have to worry and Logitech are obviously confident.

I take it game software detects up to 5 descrete mouse buttons? Cos i have to assign keystokes to the other buttons to use them in game. This isn't a massive hardship but i'm surpirsed games dont accept button 6, 7 etc. with all the modern mice out there. Maybe that's a setpoint restriction thou, or i'm not programming it right.

I do have a problem with the sensor. When i lift the mouse to re-position it jumps considerably - and this kinda negates the accuracy advantage when it's flat.
I never had this problem with optical mice, which can read a surface when slightly lifted too. Is this common to laser mice? Is it cos the sensor is forward of the center?
In any case it's very off-putting.
A freind with a steelseries Xai said he could adjust a height value in his drivers to correct this - but i see no similar option in setpoint.

Finally there is another issue that i simply didnt expect - i use a USb keyboard and a USB headset with mic. This is fine with other mice and periferals - but as soon as i plug in the g500 i have a USB bandwidth exceeded message.
The upshot is that i lose either the sound playback or mic from my headset - i cannot use both with the g500 plugged in.
This is kinda outrageous - i mean is the mouse that demanding? maybe i can reduce the report rate of the mouse (currently 500) to free up some bandwidth - but that kinda defeats the object of having a decent gaming mouse to some extent.
My board is an asus SLI pro with a dual 6600 4gb ram - not great but not exactly incapable either.
Anyone know a work around for this or the mouse lifting issue?

PHAPS i was expecting too much - a lot of ppl pay

Upvote 0
I've had trouble with usb ports before.

Try putting you mouse on the first block (top left when looking at the sockets). I have my TrackIR on the same block.

Drop the keyboard down one. Not sure about sound, (I have an X-fi gamer).

Buttons 6 & 7, are you referring to the + & - ? You should be able to program those as far as I am aware.
Some games require that you disable dpi acceleration for setpoint to function (BF3)...

Just a few things to try. I have no problems with my XP build, only with W7 64 bit pro.

EDIT: try this or that...32/64

http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=25664
http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=25663

Try setting to Vista compatible mode, I have seen that this may work.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^ thanks - ive never had usb issues so ive never had to think about it before.
I'll look into it.

So.. I ended up buying a Logitech G700.l.

this was my other choice - and i think it may have been a better buy than the g500.

My fear was the stiff cord, and inability to adjust weights, but the g500 cord is a bit stiff (and twisted at the moment), and bth the whole weights thing i'm not sure about - i've put none in the 500 and feel i would happily get used to whatever weight.
Thats a reason why i rejected the rat amoungst other things - you can customise till the birds drop out of the trees but if your mouse basically fits your hand, you will get used to it.

So the 700 -

How is the click and tilt action of the middlemouse button - in light of my complaints above? Is it easy to inadvertantly lean it left or right when pressing midmouse?
Can you remove the battery from the mouse if you choose to when you used it wired?
Does it jump noticably when lifted, have you found somthing to address this in the drivers?

If you can help, thanks

Upvote 0
I apologize for not getting back sooner dogbadger and I got the pm. I been off work for 6 months from a bad accident and some days still keep me either bedridden or doped up on painkillers so I haven't been on much this week.

The click and tilt action of the middle mouse button imo, was put together nicely. The left and right are stiff so it's hard to make a mistake when pushing down. However, they are not too stiff for a quick movement from the fire button so I think it works well.

Unfortunately the battery cannot be removed when wired in. It appears to be nothing more than a charger. I'm going to look into if it's possible to use a good after market rechargeable battery in this mouse. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for very long.
Now I'm not sure if this is standard or if I'm just too use to my mx revolution (which would hold a charge for days and days.) This is my first battery mouse so it's new to me.
If they are going to make a cordless than why use a battery and cord especially if you can't remove the battery. I just put my mx revolution in the cradle and that's it, no battery just the cradle plugged into the wall and it still holds a charge as good as it did new and it's 4 1/2 yrs old now.
I must say though that it does charge fast and so you could chalk it up as a minor inconvenience.
I should also mention there is a on/off switch on the bottom so one could just turn it off when not in use. I'll have to get use to this myself to save power. Before, I could just walk away from my mx revolution and never worry.

When lifting up the mouse it does jump a little but not much. I have not looked into drivers or my software but it doesn't seem to bother me as it is minimal.

To go back to the middle mouse button for a moment. The mouse does include a hyper scroll but there is a button to switch between modes right behind the wheel and right in front of the other button for switching profiles.
I thought this would be cause for pressing the wrong button at times but turns out it stands higher than the profile button no matter what mode you are in so it is easy to feel which button your finger is on.

The software has a nice selection of what you can assign to your buttons and save in your profiles including macro's. As well, all buttons can be re-assigned if you so choose too . I simply don't like not being able to so this is fantastic.

The 4 side buttons sit nicely right above your thumb, they're just right there and while they do look closely packed together it's easy to feel which one your on.

The light indicator is kinda neat. There are three different colors so you can tell what mode your in just glancing because your hand does not cover it.

The mouse slides nicely on a pad which is what I prefer and it has a nice weight. Right in the middle of not to light/heavy. It is also a nice size so for a guy like me with big mitts, It feels comfortable and all the buttons in the right place.

The one thing I feel the G700 is missing is a thumb wheel below the 4 side buttons and if it had a different charging system I think this mouse would sure be something to contend with.

Still,while some features on the G700 could have been improved on I would have to say this mouse is a good bang for your buck!

Upvote 0
^awesome thanks for getting back - if only ppl made their reviews as to the point and informative as this.
I find myself reading or listening to ppl drone on about mice while rarely addressing actual issues or important practical info you need to know for everyday useage.

The one thing I feel the G700 is missing is a thumb wheel below the 4 side buttons and if it had a different charging system I think this mouse would sure be something to contend with.

Yeah the MX revo has one - doesn't it?
In fact for me that was the biggest draw about the RAT 5/7 - the thumb scroll wheel.
you could use it for a item/skills grenade switch in shooters OR as i planned for the primary weapon switch thus leaving index/middle fingers always free for the important business of aiming and shooting - with the traditional mid mouse scroll used for less frequent 2ndary switching if required.

On my perfect mouse a 2nd scrollwheel would be present.

Upvote 0
I use a Razer Sphex gaming surface. Super thin sheet of textured mousing pad, with an adhesive on the back, so it's fixed to the desk surface. Barely thicker than a piece of good quality paper, so it's not in the way or anything. Just a large very accurate area to move the mouse over. Ideal accompaniment to a desk with a thick glass top...

Upvote 0
Do you guys use gaming mouse pads with your gaming mice?

images

Yes I do.
Works very well with a Logitech G5 :D

Upvote 0