• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gaming mice

I still believe angle snapping is a myth.

Had a MX500 for a long time, then bought a 518 when it started cutting out.

Been very happy with it for about 2 years now.

It's easy to prove. Just draw a horizontal line in paint.

**** comes out incredibly straight.

Makes minute adjustments (EG fps) vertically while going horizontally impossible. And sadly with the MX518 it's impossible to turn off.

Upvote 0
Well, I'd wager unless you have a very shaky hand, making a straight line of pixels isn't that difficult. That dot (pixel) grid never changes regardless of your DPI so you're going to have instances where your actual movements aren't represented by it.

I'd really have to use a mouse with prediction off to notice the difference. Paint doesn't seem to be reliable for anything but showing how good or bad people are at drawing certain lines.

Upvote 0
Well, I'd wager unless you have a very shaky hand, making a straight line of pixels isn't that difficult. That dot (pixel) grid never changes regardless of your DPI so you're going to have instances where your actual movements aren't represented by it.

I'd really have to use a mouse with prediction off to notice the difference. Paint doesn't seem to be reliable for anything but showing how good or bad people are at drawing certain lines.

Lines.jpg

Well, here's me even using really high sensitivity and DPI with the Deathadder and a quick swipe.

Notice how it still tracks slight up and downward bits? MX518 I'd still be getting straight lines, where only possible dips are at the beginning of the movement, or if lucky a slight shift downward (though still remaining straight for the rest of the line).

Upvote 0
As Gibby said the Cyborg R.A.T mouse is an absolute beast of a mouse if you can afford one, I'd definitely recommend it.

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

Also, the Cyborg company had a joint venture with Activision to create a Black Ops version of the R.A.T 7, now that the Black Ops promo is over, look for any unsold surplus versions or the Black ops Rat 7, they go for about half the price of a normal one due ti them be "Obsolete." Unfortunately they had been sold out by the time I had fished out enought money for one and I just got a logitec something mouse instead.

Upvote 0
I've used some "budget gaming mouses" from A4 for a few years and they were fine(much better than the standart crappy mouses and not very expensive, and I was still competetive). I just couldn't justify the money for hugely overpriced mouses.

Though when my last budget gaming mouse broke, I took the plunge and bought Deathadder 3.5G and a big Steelseries mousepad. I found the mouse extremely ergonomic(I have big hands) and cool looking. It glides beautifully on the mousepad. It's not heavy nor light, just the right weight(IMO of course).

Left click requires little pressure and is more sensitive than right click which shaves off a few miliseconds from your reaction time, it actually makes a difference(though if you're coming a standart mouse you may get a few unintentional clicks first). I've found the pointer control to be much more precise, especially at those panicky "twitch" moments. It helps even in Windows during day to day usage.

This mouse was my second attempt at getting a true gaming gear(first was a headset) and I've found the hype around this mouse to be pretty accurate. It was worth it. It's not a "Hey, lets just do a weird design and slap a bazillion DPI sensor on it and call it gaming gear" thing but "Hey let's design something a gamer would appreciate".

PS: No I'm not being paid from Razer, I just love my Deathadder :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I started with an mx 518 and imo, is a great mouse but I wanted more buttons and a little more comfort in my palm.
I have big mits.

So I settled on a mx revolution.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=mx+re...v&sa=X&ei=rNMiT6_sLLO02AXV9PDfDg&ved=0CFoQsAQ

Although this is not specifically a "gaming" mouse", it has served me well. It holds a real good charge and slides best, I find, on a mouse pad.
The design fits comfortably in my hand with the thumb wheel being in a nice position and allows me to assign up to 13 commands which is just a personal preference. I love that I can do that with this mouse.
However, the one thing I wish it did have was dpi on the fly but other than that it continues to perform for me.

I do miss the dpi on the fly though and so I'm kind of shopping around myself as well and I gotta say, That cyborg rat looks absolutely bad azz!

While I do appreciate the cool look factor I'm more interested in how it preforms and fits/feels in my big mits. I got lucky with the weight on my mx revolution so the ability to change the weight of the cyborg is attractive to me as well.
If it runs anything like it looks then it would be a grand slam for me so I'll definitely be looking more into this bad boy.
Thanks for posting this one C_Gibby.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of physical customisation of the RAT, but it's a shame this doesn't extend to as the buttons as well - so the nicely placed profile change button cannot be reprogrammed. The 2nd scrollwheel is a good idea but the only FPS use i can think of is for the very few games where you cycle grenades/tools - obviously could be handy for rpg type games.

That's where the g500 and g700 look good - lots of buttons you can customise.

Upvote 0
I never use side-buttons for iron-sights because clicking them has a tendency to move the mouse a little bit.
Always right-click for me, and failing that, something on the keyboard.

EDIT: I like the look of that mouse though. Very sci-fi.

I don't have the weights in, but it doesn't move at all for me.

I'm sure with all the weights in it wouldn't move for you either.

Upvote 0
what model is that then?

I picked up a g500 yesterday but it doesn't half look big...
there was no facility to try it and I can't return it after opening (unless faulty) - Usually my palm sits behind the back of the mouse and i curl my fingers slightly so it might be a bit long.
For this reason like i find on many mice the thumb buttons are also too far forward.
maybe the im getting the rat after all...

Upvote 0
Just a word about the G5/G500 Logitech mice.

I had problems with my G5 (version1) when I moved over to W7 64bit.
The solution was to install driver version 4.82.4.0.
Mr Moe I believe, also had the same problem.

Yesterday my son tried to get his G5 (version2) working on his new W7 machine.
Same problem, Setpoint refuses to function as should.

It seems that running the software in Vista compatibility also fixes the issue.

Anybody having the same sort of issues here ?

Thanks...

I've just invested in a Sidewinder X4 Keyboard, it should arrive in a couple of days.

Upvote 0