• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC FYI: .500 magnum has severe damage dropoff at range

Snypr18

Apr 22, 2015
Last edited:
To clarify, it's not that the actual damage gets lower. It's the amount of damage doNE to gorejoints.

I.e. point blank no bonuses does 165 head damage which also reduces from torso. At midrange it does 82 head damage but still 165 to torso. It's not that it does 82 damage overall

that is very interesting and i was wondering about that just yesterday (the take from body part), do you have any info about the distances that are considered close/mid/far?

Upvote 0
Well, i want to think this is a bug, and not "yet another wird, unpopular and crappy balancing feature". Hopefully it will get patched soon(tm).

Back to the SCAR for long range offperk shooting. (i did find them odly tame at long range, but tought it wast just me being bad at range).

Bear in mind the Desert Eagles have no damage issues and some players prefer them over the .500s anyway for killing SC / FP as they do not trigger a stumble. Gunslinger should still prove a useful class even with the buggy Magnums.

Upvote 0
You wot. Gunslinger is supposed to be sharpshooter lite. What use is a gunslinger if he can't kill stuff from a distance?

Ever watch an old school Western?

Was John Wayne trying to shoot Indians from 300 yards away with his pistols?

No.

Besides - if slinger was great from a distance that kind of infringes on Sharpshooter's purpose (once they implement it..)

Upvote 0
So that's why I have troubles decapitating even a siren at range but wrecks havoc on scrakes from point-blank? Good to know...

But yep, I think the damages should stay the same (or have a VERY LITTLE fall-off) even at longer range. He's supposed to be accurate.

Exactly. Is Gunslinger being punished for being a good shot? I thought cowboys were known for being pretty skilled shots

Upvote 0
that is very interesting and i was wondering about that just yesterday (the take from body part), do you have any info about the distances that are considered close/mid/far?

I can post the numbers listed when I get back home. It doesn't mean much to me though since I'm used to seeing values resembling cm, the numbers used in determining distances here are in the hundred thousands. Perhaps someone else can make sense of it.

Upvote 0
Pistols are largely close-range weapons, you don't usually fire them outside the 50 meter mark I think, maybe Someone else could confirm or deny that but I'm fairly sure handguns are close-range firsarms, largely because of their short barrel length compared to rifles.

I can accept this if it's intentional, I mean it makes sense to be honest. It's sharpshooter with much higher bullet velocities that would nail things at distance.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Is Gunslinger being punished for being a good shot? I thought cowboys were known for being pretty skilled shots

Sorry for the doublepost, but a skilled shot is a different thing for a dueling cowboy than it is for a sniper. Back in the old west, because of the nature of the gunfights and the guns that they had, accuracy was only heard of with rifles.

With revolvers the "skill" part of the shot would be hand-eye coordination and mainly speed! Revolver usage bak then was certainly close range fights or maybe duels and those revolvers didn't often have any rear sights, so it was down to being faster than your opponent!

Either way, sniping a distant target with an old west revolver is enerally unheard of at any meaningful distances.

Upvote 0
@Ryno and other folks - the issue here at hand isn't that the actual damage the Magnum does is getting lower as you go further in range. It's that because the damage type of the Magnum Bullet is classified as a shotgun ballistic it's inheriting a function where as you go further from your target it does less damage to gorejoints (aka head/arm/leg etc...), this has no effect on the damage the weapon does to the ZED.

So from an earlier post, even though you shoot an offperk magnum shot to the head of a SC it does 82 to the head instead of the 165 at what the game considers medium range. If you're at point blank it's still 165 damage. Now this will not change how much damage the SC actually takes. If you check the HP of the SC it'll still show that 165 damage was dealt to it but the headhp has only taken 82 vs the 165 that it should have taken. I think it's a simple fix and it looks like it's already been noted in the v1017 notes.

Upvote 0
@Ryno and other folks - the issue here at hand isn't that the actual damage the Magnum does is getting lower as you go further in range. It's that because the damage type of the Magnum Bullet is classified as a shotgun ballistic it's inheriting a function where as you go further from your target it does less damage to gorejoints (aka head/arm/leg etc...), this has no effect on the damage the weapon does to the ZED.

So from an earlier post, even though you shoot an offperk magnum shot to the head of a SC it does 82 to the head instead of the 165 at what the game considers medium range. If you're at point blank it's still 165 damage. Now this will not change how much damage the SC actually takes. If you check the HP of the SC it'll still show that 165 damage was dealt to it but the headhp has only taken 82 vs the 165 that it should have taken. I think it's a simple fix and it looks like it's already been noted in the v1017 notes.

So in other words it takes up to the double amount of headshots to decap a scrake (or any zed) but the usual amount of hits to kill their torso regardless of range (not considering the +10% headshot damage)?

Upvote 0