• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Fuxxored drivers?

I recently upgraded to an Gainward GTX 275 but so far the benefits are limited because a lot of games got unplayable ...

Of course I reinstalled Vista before I built in the new GFX.

I can play Empire and Anno 1404 just fine but Killing Floor, UT3 and Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway crash within minutes (it seems to be a bit related to the Unreal Engine but the Trine demo crahses too), the screen just goes black and the game seems to freeze I can alt tab out of the game and sometimes i can get back in the game but most of the time not. Then this windows message pops up telling me that the dirvers had a problem but they could be restored. So it is pretty obvious what happend.

I have the 190.xx drivers atm (the latest) but the version before those made the same problems, so I guess I have to downgrade to a driver version which actually works?

Also my brother has the same GFX card and he has the same problem sometimes whoever he play Anno most of the time so it is not that of an problem.

Has anyone else this problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

Ive had a similar problem with my ati card (4870) for a while, after lots of checking I ruled it down to a faulty card, but last week tried uninstalling the CCC (ati control panel thingum) and so far it seems to be working fine (one game for instance was crashing every 2-40mins before, uninstalled the CCC worked fine). So you could try uninstalling the Nvidia control panel.

Other couple of things to check, try running on the oldest possible drivers (as you kinda said) and what OS are you using 32 or 64?

Upvote 0
I don't think the hardware is faulty because the card was tested before it was shipped to me. I know there is still the chance it is broken but I don't believe that (yet).

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, AMD 5000+, a MSI K9N SLI Mainboard, PSU has 500W and is no-name.

Now Killing Floor crashed with this message after five minutes but I can play Empire with no problems for hours? :confused:
Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2616 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 (9038)

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870).

History: FD3D9VertexStream::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetVertexStreams <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UShadowBitmapMaterial::Get <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetProjectorMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderStaticMesh <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-Offices.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Offices <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I will try older drivers and if that doesn't help I will go for the other stuff suggested.

Upvote 0
PSU has 500W and is no-name.

Its likely the problem is right there.

No name - generic PSU's are pretty much a no go with performance hardware.

Its rated at 500W but what's its efficiency? 50, 60, 70%?

The same goes for its 12v rails, which will need about 30 amps to keep your machine stable with that video card.

Look at investing in a new PSU. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Be Quiet & PC Power and Cooling are top players and i would trust my kit with any of them.

If your unsure download Furmark. Run the torture test at max resolution with max AA. No app will thrash your card as much as this and if your PSU can't handle itself then Furmark will make it fall flat on its arse.

Upvote 0
He has the Antec Sonata 3 case which came with a 500W PSU no idea if it is a top quality PSU but his PC runs really good so far (he has the PC for two months now)

sonata3.jpg

Would be good to know if my PSU damaged the graphics card because iirc the card performed fine for the first to weeks (or so) or maybe it is just that I played games in that time which didn't crash constantly (Empire runs almost perfectly).

Also I googled the bluescreen message (nvlddmkm.sys) and everybody was claiming something else one guy said that the memory is broken, the next said the video card (found a long thread discussing this topic and people described similiar problems to mine) and so on and on ...

It seems so random :(

Upvote 0
Antec cases come with Antec PSU's and are of high quality.

If you think your memory is faulty, download Memtest86+ and run it overnight.

I bet it comes up clear.

Hardware can develop faults over time and its not uncommon for a video card to fail in the first couple of weeks.

You could find hundred different causes and solutions for nvlddmkm.sys crashing online. Your problem is simple; the video card is shagged.

You have ironed out any hardware/software conflict on your machine by plugging the video card into your bros and running a very intensive stress testing utility.

Each game will vary on CPU, memory and video load. Furmark will load your GPU 100%. If Furmark crashes then the card is unstable. More so that it crashes at 84C, these cards start to throttle clocks at around 105C and will still remain stable. You might melt a hole in your wall but the card should not crash.

Get an RMA number, explain the card BSOD's with Furmark @ 84C and get a replacement sent out. Plug the new card in and come back and thank me when everything is working.

Upvote 0
Funny old world ain't it...

I've just had my Antec Neo HE500 PSU die on me.
It is a little over a year old.

A 5 amp rail was not providing, which I believe was the MB line, the computer would sometimes not boot at all and sometimes just freeze for no apparent reason.
All the other lines were/are good.
The guy who I get my stuff from says this is not the first Antec PSU he has had die, also on the same 5amp feed.

He's lent me another PSU to get me over the week-end.
The warranty should get me a replacement but if not, I will change from Antec to another make.

This thread has more or less stopped me from investing in a new Nvida graphics card, a 275 to be precise.

Guess I'll wait a little before upgrading.

Check your rails Ketch!

Upvote 0
Nah fiftyone, my card crashes in an entirely stable system too, so the PSU could be a problem too but the video card has to be broken somehow.

You can really feel it, furmark or a game is putting some pressure on the card and bam it breaks down like an old mule :( (The crashes aren't temperature related if I restart and the PC and the GPU is still "cold" and I start Furmark the PC crashes after the same period of time as a "warm" GPU)
In general the card works fine if it is not broken (see my brothers PC) so my problems shouldn't hold you back from buying nVidia it is just bad luck.

I will run memtest and then contact the shop were I got the card and when the replacement arrives here I will get a new PSU+case (probably that Antec one) because my case is to small anyway and I don't trust the PSU anymore.

Upvote 0
Its a smart idea to get a decent PSU, its one of the most important but most overlooked components of your system. Antec are reliable but not bullet proof, nothing is. Its the same with cars but i would sooner own a Japanese car than a French one :p

The card is faulty there is no question.

I once had a problematic AMD K6-2 500Mhz processor back in 2000. My parents paid some cowboy asshole to build the computer for me but it was never right and kept crashing. Sometimes it would BSOD minutes into Windows, sometimes i could get 40 minutes of Unreal deathmatch in before it popped. Anyway the guy took the machine back and charged my parents more money, he said computer was fine and so on. I took machine back home, same problem. Computer went back again a few times. This is what actually got me into fixing computers. After much anguish i narrowed it down to the CPU. Set the jumpers on the motherboard to lower its clocks to 400MHz and it was rock stable.

So the CPU was not dead as it functioned how you would expect it to for a short period of time. It was just a poor sample and not capable at running at its designed speed. I ended up keeping it in a spare machine but it was not fit for purpose just like your video card and i should have returned it for a new one. Or maybe stapled it to the guys forehead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0