• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Future game types.

Angelus343

Jul 30, 2014
I've been lurking for quite a while on this forum and have seen very few discussions on future game types.

The ones I have seen were mostly talking about a "horde mode/endless mode" essentially, which is cool of course but not necessarily creative. A horde mode would be nice, however I think that the maps were not intended to have physical barriers/reinforcements like Gears of war 3 had. An endless mode with increased difficulty/health/damage is very simple to do (concept wise), and could be fun to see how far you can survive.

Objective mode is pretty much expected to make a return.

What are some interesting game types you think we might see in the future? Or perhaps just some creative discussion on what you think would be a nice addition.

Side note, has there been any official talk on future game types?

Isn't it common courtesy to start with an idea of your own on this kind of post?

Anyway, my idea is that if too much time is focused on different game types they won't get to perfect the one that they have used for years and... so far haven't changed at all. Not that I'm complaining and haven't played 2k+ hours in this game mode (kf1+kf2) but, is this all there is to it? Is it REALLY already 'perfect'? I wouldn't mind trying out alternative versions of the 'same' thing.

Upvote 0
I've played horde mode from a mod in KF1, It's pretty fun. Though the one I found was only clots. And they got so fast it was hard to keep up with them, followed up by one shoting you.

Though even if tripwire doesnt add anything other than objective mode, each objective map is probably going to vary in playstyle. Transit felt like Left 4 dead while the steam park objective map felt.. Kind of unique I guess.
And on top of that there's always the modding community.
EDIT: Mutators are being added next patch as well, I could see horde mode being made pretty soon if anyone wants to make it.

Upvote 0
Honestly i hope KFO comes back in some form.

Maybe a bit better balanced vs the original but i do like the mode. The Resident Evil mansion map was pretty cool that was KFO before KFO and the other ones that featured more of a linear experience were fairly fun to play as well.

You could also try a more open ended KFO version such as in a DOOM style where exploration is key. Maybe even have a map where you need to defend one point while going around and doing side things to open up the next area to progress, forcing you to split your team up a bit.

You could do some really interesting stuff with it since the mapping tools are a lot more advanced and open up a lot more opportunities for cool missions and objectives.

Upvote 0
You could also try a more open ended KFO version such as in a DOOM style where exploration is key. Maybe even have a map where you need to defend one point while going around and doing side things to open up the next area to progress, forcing you to split your team up a bit.

This sounds like a very good idea to add into KFO, I like the idea of having to worry about the map as a whole rather then keeping the traditional "linear feel".

Upvote 0