• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] FTL: Faster Than Light

LightsabeR

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
So this fun indie title finally came out yesterday. It's a spaceship sim real-time rougelike-like (at least that's how the devs have categorized it).

In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It's a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party? This "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.

• Complex Strategic Gameplay - Give orders to your crew, manage ship power distribution and choose weapon targets in the heat of battle.
  • Play at Your Own Speed - Pause the game mid-combat to evaluate your strategy and give orders.
  • Unique Lifeforms and Technology

I am tired as **** because I couldn't stop playing this yesterday. Just one more game.
knowthatfeel.jpg

So have any of you managed to beat the final boss? I can beat it's first form, but the second form seems just way too powerful. Really need to find that Weapon pre-igniter aug.

As a general thought, there's a fair bit of luck in this game, a bit too much for my taste. First you gotta get lucky with the stores (both in terms of finding them and them having useful stock), then not run into any overly difficult encounters, then there's the random evasion chance (for both you and the enemy), etc etc.

Still great fun... just wish that somehow my success depended more on my skill and less on dice rolls. But hey... it's just that type of a game.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I feel the same way. I like that the encounters are random, but I'd like the combat to be a bit more complex.

I've beat the first form of the boss a couple of times(most of them on easy mode... heh...) but the second form is impossible. Seems like you need to get very lucky and knock out the drone control as fast as possible, because with half a dozen defense, anti ship, and boarding drones in the air, you're f*cked pretty fast.

Just unlocked the stealth btw, going to give it a go later.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I feel the same way. I like that the encounters are random, but I'd like the combat to be a bit more complex.

I've beat the first form of the boss a couple of times(most of them on easy mode... heh...) but the second form is impossible. Seems like you need to get very lucky and knock out the drone control as fast as possible, because with half a dozen defense, anti ship, and boarding drones in the air, you're f*cked pretty fast.

Just unlocked the stealth btw, going to give it a go later.
I hear boarding parties and boarding drones is a good way to beat the second form. Haven't managed to get lucky enough to get a good boarding setup and reach the boss tho.

Upvote 0
This game is kicking my ***.

Once I get about 3 systems in I run into some advanced drone with a crazy outfit of weapons and it wipes me out.

Last game I played I was boarded by those rock guys twice. The first time we barely survived and the second time 2 of my crew died. Then my last guy died in a missile explosion.

Upvote 0
Made it to the end boss but he just kicked my ***, would be fun if there was an endless mode.
There's no endless mode yet (I'm sure someone will make a mod one day), but there is a mod that removes the enemy fleet from chasing you, giving you more time to explore and build your ship.

For anyone who wants to give it a go, here's the edited dat file: http://www.mediafire.com/?ti56y0k13wk5y0s

* Find your resources folder under the FTL game folder.
* For Steam users: \Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\resources.
* Make backups of the dat files there.
* Replace the original data.dat with the uploaded one.

Obviously the game is not balanced for this. You can basically hit every beacon, which means you'll be able to put together a very powerful ship.

Upvote 0