• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fortress Forever

Been playing this all day and so far I love it. Each class handles differently, and the amount of stuff you can do makes each class really fun. I'd say my favorite class is the Spy, because I've always loved steath and there's tons of ways for the spy to be sneaky. You can disguise yourself as an enemy player, fake death, cloak (which reminds me of The Hidden), and hack sentry guns. One time me and 2 other spies walked into a flag room while cloaked, and systematically backstabbed all the defenders. There's over 10 maps I think and each one is pretty fun and streamlined, most of them look kinda plain and have that "arena" feel (not necessarily a bad thing though). Character models and weapon models are awesome, and animations are done well. Most of the servers aren't laggy and run pretty smooth. I've only seen 2 bugs; one is where sometimes your view will be angled when you die and stay that way when you respawn, and another is that the shotgun has no reload animation. All in all I think we have a winning mod here.

Upvote 0
It's TFC, but not. It just doesn't feel right to me yet. They sort of nerfed my beloved Sniper, I know that much.

I might keep it installed even with TF2 simply because this is just a lot like classic TFC that I loved and will be good to hop on once in a while if i want a little eye candy improvement from TFC.

Though, the new Well looks quite nice. I like the changes they made to that map.

Upvote 0
I've never played TFC, didn't even know about the Team Fortress series till they started making this mod. I really liked this from a "newcomer" standpoint, I don't have to deal with any of those "I like how they changed that, but not that, or that" sorta feelings. So I think this mod is a great introduction to the series for new players, and could be a good preview of TF2.

On a different subject, I've come across a lot of nice players (something rare for a Hl2 mod). One time this heavy who claimed he was a "10 year veteran of TF" killed me and subsequently labeled me a "nub". He kept talkin **** after that, and the result was that the entire population of the server ganged up on him in my defense. Another instance that I thought was cool was that when I had the flag and took it to our base, I couldn't find the flag capture point. Some guy was actually nice enough to say "follow me" and led me to the capture point, instead of saying "learn how to play noob" which is what I expected.

Upvote 0
Another instance that I thought was cool was that when I had the flag and took it to our base, I couldn't find the flag capture point. Some guy was actually nice enough to say "follow me" and led me to the capture point, instead of saying "learn how to play noob" which is what I expected.
Hmm, what map where you playing on when this happened? Was it called Aardvark (big tree/field area in the middle of the map)? Because I witnessed that yesterday if it's the same case.

Hell, even if it's not I still witnessed a separate instance of that happening then. Sadly, it's not the norm. You'll have your good and bad experiences with servers, same as in CS or any other popular mod.

Upvote 0