• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Former BFE-RO members, let's reminisce.

I mostly remember being really angry and frustrated, but also liking the attitude that I think us Russians had--we played for fun, while in contrast we felt that the german side was willing to do anything to win. That left us feeling cheated, but also meant that we felt like were holding up a morally superior position. But as the losses piled up and people left, it was hard not to feel defeated in many ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played as a russian grunt back in the beta campaign and led 1 and then 2 of the vzvods in the first proper campaign. I had to stop playing the matches because of work just at the start of the second campaign

I remember crawling for the best part of 15 minutes with the PTRD to take out a panther on one of waxx's maps. And using the DP to mow down waves of germans attacking ponyri station.

Them were the days :)

Upvote 0
I mostly remember being really angry and frustrated, but also liking the attitude that I think us Russians had--we played for fun, while in contrast we felt that the german side was willing to do anything to win. That left us feeling cheated, but also meant that we felt like were holding up a morally superior position. But as the losses piled up and people left, it was hard not to feel defeated in many ways.

tbh everyone who felt this way should have read this article:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

I think it's really bs that a lot of people "held the morale high ground" so to speak. On the axis side at least most of the time we planned how we would not only defend the objectives but our spawn exits as well (which is crucial with 32 people playing). On the russian side people just either complained or flamed on the forums. Had everyone had a better attitude most campaigns would be a lot more enjoyable and a lot more competitive.

Upvote 0
The truth is that loosing side always complains more even though both teams do the same things. It is hard for people to admit that they lost because they lacked in skill and tactics. You always want to shift the blame to spawn camp or unbalanced weapons or lame tactic or something else.

We have seen this in all the campaigns. Allied side has always complained more, since they have lost. Except the last campaign where Allied win, we didn't complain, but Axis did. They tried to ban our guys 5 times during the campaign while Allied side tried to ban no one from the Axis team. They complained about weapons. They complained about lame tactics. Everything was reversed from previous campaigns.

For Allied players this was the best campaign ever, for Axis players it likely wasn't. With that said I obviously disagree with Blacklabel, I think the campaign was a success. Both sides winning and loosing battles, we get to play almost 40 different maps, and we had many epic battles which ended in 4-3 results and battles where in all rounds reinforcements went to 0% for both teams and few remaining players from both sides decided the fate on who wins the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For Allied players this was the best campaign ever, for Axis players it likely wasn't. With that said I obviously disagree with Blacklabel, I think the campaign was a success. Both sides winning and loosing battles, we get to play almost 40 different maps, and we had many epic battles which ended in 4-3 results and battles where in all rounds reinforcements went to 0% for both teams and few remaining players from both sides decided the fate on who wins the map.

wow, now I'm sad I missed that one =(

Upvote 0
Does anyone remember the first time we played moltke bridge back in the first proper campaign? We were using the black screen of death mod and the reinforcements were way off. It ended up being just 3cho versus about 10% of german re-inforcements. He managed to bring them down to 0% and killed all but about 3-4 of them until he was finally killed. The whole russian team had to watch a black screen and listen to him panicking over teamspeak for the best part of 10 minutes.

It was an awesome experience.

I also remember running riot with the tanks on kiev with federov as my gunner. Some real cherishable memories in that first campaign

Upvote 0
Does anyone remember the first time we played moltke bridge back in the first proper campaign? We were using the black screen of death mod and the reinforcements were way off. It ended up being just 3cho versus about 10% of german re-inforcements. He managed to bring them down to 0% and killed all but about 3-4 of them until he was finally killed. The whole russian team had to watch a black screen and listen to him panicking over teamspeak for the best part of 10 minutes.

It was an awesome experience.

I also remember running riot with the tanks on kiev with federov as my gunner. Some real cherishable memories in that first campaign

lol I emember that time, It was awesome ^^

Upvote 0
Favourite RO moment ever, this was BFE:

At some point, we played Maikop. We (Germans) attacked, the Russians defended. After we dominated them round after round (we won that battle), the Russians complained in the forums that Maikop was biased against the defenders.

The following week, the Russians decided to re-capture Maikop. They thought it would be easy because the map was "biased". So the teams got swapped with a mutator: the Russians attacked, and we defended.

Not only did we completely defend the map until the end of the battle, we also won every single round. :D :D :D Now what was that about the map being "biased"? ;) Haha, that was glorious!

Here is a group shot that Lemur took after the battle.

battle4groupdo9.jpg

Upvote 0
I sensed that sometimes we lost because a lot of BS happened, but others I remember that a lot of times maybe in the first or second BFE campaign, we lost because either people were not following orders or we had incompetent chain of command, who gave the wrong orders.

Many times I saw through the Axis tactic, I warned what was going on, suggested what we should do and nobody listened to me, and we ended up keep trying the same thing with maybe little modifications, over and over again, with the same defeat result as expected.

a good example was in Kaukasus, we defend without problems for the whole time, and in the last minute, some officer would yell, "ok only 2 minutes remain, don't go outside anymore, stay inside and defend" (I was like.. WTF?) then all the germans regroup outside without opposition, spam the courtyard with nades, and then enter and cap in the last minute, that happened in many maps many times, and everybody kept doing the same **** as if the outcome would magically change somehow.

Upvote 0
I sensed that sometimes we lost because a lot of BS happened, but others I remember that a lot of times maybe in the first or second BFE campaign, we lost because either people were not following orders or we had incompetent chain of command, who gave the wrong orders.

Many times I saw through the Axis tactic, I warned what was going on, suggested what we should do and nobody listened to me, and we ended up keep trying the same thing with maybe little modifications, over and over again, with the same defeat result as expected.

a good example was in Kaukasus, we defend without problems for the whole time, and in the last minute, some officer would yell, "ok only 2 minutes remain, don't go outside anymore, stay inside and defend" (I was like.. WTF?) then all the germans regroup outside without opposition, spam the courtyard with nades, and then enter and cap in the last minute, that happened in many maps many times, and everybody kept doing the same **** as if the outcome would magically change somehow.

Yeah, the difference was that half or more of Axis team played in a clan, and most of those played in the same clan(IHOP). Allied had pub players in charge of tactics and commanding during battle. Also Axis had more skilled players. Allied had too many pubbers in general who didn't care about winning but just wanted to have good time, you can't win with a team like that. With that said I'm still happy I played in the Allied team. I would have been bored to death playing as Axis and winning campaign after campaign with no challenge.

Btw. Fedorov you still have that "Fun night" video where Allied team was having fun in Unreal tournament map jumping off the tower and having pistol only fights? I'd really like to see that! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hu,

*sniff* nobody remembers poor lil' gitano *sniff*

:D

Ahh, BFE, great times.

Was fun organizing and playing the Battle for Berlin and Stalingrad campaigns (though i sweared to myself never to put so much effort into internet posting again after a forum update and loss of information :p).

Joined in for the last few campaigns, but met quite a few nice people. Anybody still remembers the N-Brothers? (Norden/ Napoleon)?. They where actually a good commanding couple for us russkies, so i wont accept the argument that we didnt have good commanders :)

But...

Yeah, the difference was that half or more of Axis team played in a clan, and most of those played in the same clan(IHOP).
Exactly...thats what really annoyed me and others (who actually joined BFE to avoid clan playing); that was about the only bias happening, if any. Funny how i got flamed for voting for random teams/ player rotation :D.
Same thing happened with the IC after BFE went down, thats why i finally left and joined a clan at least...

Seriously, if there might be a similar campaign in the future i'd still go for that if i would be one of the organizers...kinda avoids all the hatred and any clan stacking, and provides new interesting team constellations. Screw all that "comradery" sh*te... if anyone wants that, he/ she should join a friggin clan.

Anyways, those where the times, and them where great! :)

GG's everybody

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Joined in for the last few campaigns, but met quite a few nice people. Anybody still remembers the N-Brothers? (Norden/ Napoleon)?. They where actually a good commanding couple for us russkies, so i wont accept the argument that we didnt have good commanders :)

They were good commanders indeed, but I think they are from another campaign, not from the ones when we had those problems

Btw. Fedorov you still have that "Fun night" video where Allied team was having fun in Unreal tournament map jumping off the tower and having pistol only fights? I'd really like to see that! :)

I made 2 videos, that one, and the christmass battle with panzerfausts in space. wish I had them, but I think I lost them somewhere in my old computer, anyone here still have them somewhere in their HDs? =(

Upvote 0