• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

for people who link l4d is ripped off...

NeoTokyo. Add that to the list of HL2 mods with meat. YouTube - NeoTokyo Official Trailer

Also, that old rumor of Source being Goldsrc just really built up upon has long been proven false. It's just some coding is the same. That happens in alot of games. New maps for L4D will be great and developers if said maps will be able to make unique ones with vastly different gameplay, I'd imagine. L4D has also trumped TF2 in terms of players, and this is roughly 6 months after release. TF2 also had an established I.P, which makes L4D all the more impressive.

I imagine Killing Floor will average the community RO has, 1000ish people at peak. Maybe since it's a Zombie based game, it may reach 2000-3000 though. It'll be a moderate success in the gaming world, but for TWI, it'll be another smash hit to add to their resume.
Didn't mean it was directly built up from goldsrc, but it might as well be; back when they were working on HL1 they started putting some experimental engine tech into the goldsrc engine and in an attempt to keep the goldsrc engine stable as possible they branched off the development into src and goldsrc. Right as that happened, the source (src) engine was effectively identical barring a few minor implementations of experimental code. If it wasn't indirectly descended from goldsrc, then the SDK for it wouldn't currently be about the same as the SDK for original HL1. It wouldn't be necessarily *bad* per se that it was so similar to the original engine, the Unreal Engine 3 is based heavily off of code from previous versions (AKA why Epic doesn't release the source code for Unreal Engine 1 but Id releases their source code for Quake 3's engine; Id codes each new engine from scratch), but the SDK has had *no* updates whatsoever to keep to a modern standard of ergonomics and intuitivity. It's the equivilant of if a modern doctor had to perform a modern operation with victorian era tools; entirely possible, but the procedure is hindered simply out of the fact that the hospital that employs the doctor is perfectly comfortable with those tools.

And yeah, I know there are some stellar mods out there for Source (right after I posted it Garry's Mod came to my mind, I'm running on 30 hours of being awake at this point :p), but my point was that they are very far and few between, especially when compared to Unreal Engine mods.

I'm placing my money on any of the few halfway decent maps for L4D being drowned out by a sea of crappily textured, no static mesh gimmick maps ala breakfloor, surf, killbox, etc. It's unfortunate, but I just know it's gonna go down like that unless they completely rehauled Hammer.

Upvote 0