• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For a Better CLASSIC mode

Ugh, the stamina/sprint speed in Classic makes me cringe because its so "gamey" and artificially handicapping the player unrealistically. Arma 2 has better sprint speed and the soldiers there usually carry more equipment than the one's from WW2.

ArmA ... Let's start the joke comparaisons! :rolleyes:
Nope, actually I'll just laugh alone and let you think why use ArmA 2 as a "model" for RO2 is not right. It's pretty wrong yes.

Upvote 0
ArmA ... Let's start the joke comparaisons! :rolleyes:
Nope, actually I'll just laugh alone and let you think why use ArmA 2 as a "model" for RO2 is not right. It's pretty wrong yes.
So people who play Classic dont want realistic gameplay? I guess I was wrong.

The reason I use the comparison is just that, people want more realism in Classic, Arma 2 is a mil sim, why not compare?

Upvote 0
And conversely, RO2 is about unrealistic in battle sprint speed, uber accurate shooting in adverse conditions, and the super human speed and ability to unclip your ammo pouch, pull out a magazine or stripper clip and reload.

fttt....Armchair generals......:rolleyes:
I'm not one to post youtube videos to make any points, I prefer personal experience. Just watch ANY documentary footage of soldiers in battle situations....see how many sprint at break-neck speeds anywhere.

Upvote 0
Is that a response to my post?

seems so, and he is just right :p

I was in the Army, and I know how to handle a weapon ans how to move in a fight situation. I was not in a real war situation but I enjoy a lot of military training.

But in first line RO2 is just a game who try to bring some realistic feelings to the PC-players.

Maybe you see it some way different, but for me RO2 is a action game with realistic aspects.

And the most realistic situation of all RO2 modes is the classic mode. (my opinion!!!)

Runnings speed and stamina is perfect. The soldiers we are playing in RO2 are Front soldiers. They aren

Upvote 0
Maybe you see it some way different, but for me RO2 is a action game with realistic aspects.

Actually, I find that hard to believe. RO2 is simply too hard for most players to be an action game, yet it tries to appeal to that audience, which does not work. More like realistic game that tried to put action aspects.

Also pixel hunting is not realistic, I should be able to spot enemies like I can in real life. I understand, many people blame zoom for people being very accurate(as if thats the only factor). But! Take into consideration how your rifle barely moves when pull that bolt, not that much recoil either, and you aim pretty much where you stare with your gun(like in RO1), and pull of shots while barely moving off target(dont forget that fairly significant advantage for people who are leveled up with the weapon in ADS). Zoom IS realistic, it can be improved on(Arma has a pretty good zoom system). I think sprint speed should be as it is in realism, but perhaps with classic's stamina amount so people will be more conservative with it and use it in situations where it is vital. Also I've loaded half empty stripper clips in RO2, mostly when I forgot it that reloading half my clip in my rifle would make me end up with half a clip later.

Also I like that idea that holding breath takes stamina, I'm pretty sure most people would gasp for some air and throw off the aim in the process. RO1 didnt have very big stock maps compared to the community made ones, RO2 is going to have plenty of large maps in the future, and has some now!(see Zukhovka).

Upvote 0
Also pixel hunting is not realistic, I should be able to spot enemies like I can in real life. I understand, many people blame zoom for people being very accurate(as if thats the only factor).

This is something I think a lot of classic mode players fail to grasp, IRL its not too hard spot an identify a man sized target at 100m and when using proper form a rifle is designed to make it easy to hit them too. This wasn't true in RO1 and it largely has to due with the differences between the human eye and a monitor. I see players post about classic mode that we should go back to RO1 where its hard to get kills at 100m or further when putting that in Ro2 is making it more unrealistic for no valid gameplay reason, its worse that something with no basis IRL like SL spawn imo.

Upvote 0

42 Commando HC Realism Server,

Unfortunately it won't show up as classic. These are the current settings we have to hopefully offer that classic RO1 feel of game play to our players.

Classic Weapon Handling - On
Classic Weapon Load out - On
Controlled Breathing Zoom (No zoom during SHIFT press) - Off
Damage Mode - Full (Hardcore)
Enemy Spotted Mode - Map Only
Kill Death Message - Personal Only
Friendly Player Names - Within proximity
Increased Stamina Effects - On
Increased Suppression Effects - On
Leg Damage Slows Player - On
Progression Bonuses - On (For now..)
Realistic Pistol Load outs - On
Role Mode - Classic (Limited Roles etc)
Slow Bandaging - On
Stop sprinting when exhausted - On
Weapon Limitations - On (obviously)
Compass - Off
Spawn on Squad Leader - On (Server wouldn't allow this off without changing it to UNRANKED)
Team Death Icons - Disabled
Team Member Icons - Disabled (To encourage the use of the map and coordinates.)
Player map icons (No players showing on map, again to encourage use of the map) - Off
Tactical View - Off (now I have disabled this, but it doesn't seem to go away.. if somebody can enlighten me as to whether it can be done, that would be great)

So far that's our settings, we feel that taking away the majority of screen clutter, and unrealistic feats that it would provide a better gaming environment and encourage more team work.

I will be doing almost constant admin work. I work from home as a voice actor, so I'm always in front of the server. Please let me know of any suggestions you might have for the server. We're still configuring the map cycle as of now, trying to remove some of the close quarters maps and replacing them with the large scale ones.

A set of server rules will be discussed and published tonight.

Upvote 0
Zoom is realistic in one aspect, but unrealistic in another. That's the truth of it. Whether it improves gameplay or not is a matter of personal taste.

Yes, although it is trying to improve realism, which would be the point of RO2, try to improve upon the realism of its precursor. Its not like a CoD game where its a remake of RO1 with better graphics. Hence, why I like it, if I get tired of it I can go play RO1. Although, I generally play better and die less in classic mode where there is no zoom.

Upvote 0
You got something wrong there.

Ah, so your in the core audience of Nintendo and CoD, if you prefer to have no gameplay changes and just updated graphics in your games. I'd find it boring to play the same exact imperfect game for 20 years. I'd say you got something wrong there or are lacking in imagination.

Here is a question for you. Do you believe RO1 was absolutely perfect?

I'd guess you don't otherwise you wouldn't be playing RO2 or posting on the forums about RO2. RO1 was great, but it had flawed gameplay that was sometimes unrealistic.

The reason to release sequels is new technology comes out that allows developers to improve upon the original game, this doesn't just mean improved graphics. It means improving immersion, aesthetics, realism and gameplay, etc.

Upvote 0
These discussions are always muddled a bit by the fact that RO2's modes are poorly named and don't necessarily deliver what they claim to. Realism mode is basically just Standard Mode 2.0, offering a few minor updates to the base game while retaining many unrealisms. Classic Mode is basically Realism 2.0; it provides some realism improvements, but still doesn't play anything like RO1.

Personally, I think RO1's exaggerated sway, SMG/LMG recoil, and lung cancer stamina were garbage, so I am more interested in Classic Mode as Realism 2.0 than as a straight port of RO1's gameplay.

Classic's sprint solution is basically a bandaid fix, a copout to properly solving the problem of insufficient inertia physics in RO2's sprint. When sprinting, players don't lose enough speed from changing direction or going up hills and stairs. Consequently, killing sprinting players is harder than it should be, because without even trying, they wind up zigzagging all over the place, and can disappear around a corner or up a staircase within milliseconds of spotting the slightest danger.

Classic's solution was basically just "we don't feel like fixing the inertia, so let's just make it slower". As I explained in another thread, having the sprint replaced with a slow jog wouldn't be bad if it came with a correspondingly higher amount of stamina. Even the most out of shape adult, unless horribly obese, is able to jog at least half a mile before totally running out of breath. I understand that Stalingrad's soldier's were malnourished, but the measly 10 seconds of slow-jog stamina which Classic gives you is simply not believable.

I think zoom is really an all-or-nothing thing. You can have one of the two options:

1) Full 30-45 degree true distance vision accessible any time via a key (not restricted to ADS, or activated automatically via ADS)

2) No zoom at all, not even during ADS, and distances for bullet arc, shot deviation, lead, etc. must be adjusted so that distances that appear 100-200 meters on the screen actually shoot as if they are 100-200 meters and not 30-60 meters.

Failure to adhere to one of the above is going to result in stupid zoom issues. For example, being forced to zoom when you don't want to, or SMG's being converted to assault rifles in practical terms, because the 90 degree FOV artificially restricts engagement distances to only those at which SMG's beat rifles (since no one, not even with rifles, can reliably spot and identify targets past that distance)

Upvote 0