• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flare guns for NCO`s or Officers/customizable pregame sounds

I like that whistle idea. Maybe it could be made so that when certain order is given a certain whistle sound is played. like:

"WHEEE! WHEEE! Foward, with haste!"

"WHEEEEE! RETREAT!"

Ecetera, only few sound should be made IMO so that they're easy to learn and so that they could be used only few times withing given time to avoid voicespamming.

I wonder how many times I've seen (in movies) a German infantry battalion to attack ordered by a whistle. It has to be there.

Upvote 0
Of course it depends from map to map whether there is actual use for it, but also think of big tank maps or even Basovka. The team waiting for the enemy arty strike to end or the smoke to unfold... woosh flare goes up... Green/Grey men start advancing towards the trench. In tanks I guess a whistle would be of less use but for the InfOf or SL, I would say there is some potential for adding a realistic tool to easily alert the enlisted.

Upvote 0
re Brendan

re Brendan

- Nice post, although to be honest I think keeping it so close to the real-life example would be rather something reserved for realism units then, imagine the amount of time the average gamer would need to learn to distinguish all those call signs ;) Then you would really have to go into some kind of HoS Bootcamp for 6-8weeks. But just a(1) key to sound the whistle like a car horn would be fine I guess, if you would press it in the right way "guitar hero" style you probably would still get all those different commands out of it.

On the custom-map FestungKurland, you got a small scripted event right when moving close or into the second capzone(somekind of foxhole filled area).When playing as Soviet suddenly a whistle sounds which i can only assume is a German whistle giving a command to actively defend and/or open fire. (still pretty cool and gives apart from a practical usage to alert the line also a nice feeling of realism)

Upvote 0
I'd have to say no to the server sounds.
Ever tried almost any game on Source? Almost every server has their own sound, and it ranges from lightly appropriate music to the Chicken Dance song, certainly not the stuff you want to hear in a WW2 combat game, at least if you approach it at least somewhat seriously.
I'd chew my own ears off if i could reach them if that would ever happen.

Upvote 0
I'd have to say no to the server sounds.
Ever tried almost any game on Source? Almost every server has their own sound, and it ranges from lightly appropriate music to the Chicken Dance song, certainly not the stuff you want to hear in a WW2 combat game, at least if you approach it at least somewhat seriously.
I'd chew my own ears off if i could reach them if that would ever happen.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
Yea, but there are respawns, in the likely event that you die anyway, you will just respawn and run towards the enemy again. It wouldn't have any purpose...

Clearly, you've not taken part in very many coordinated games on maps such as Konigplatz.

As the germans run low for reinforcements, the smart germans decide to give up the Seigassaul, or whatever it's called, as it's costing them too much reinforcements, and do a last stand by digging in nicely at the final control point.

Upvote 0
I suspect the reason Germans do this on Konigplatz is beceause the Siegassaul (ruins) aren't a point from which it is easy to defend, especially with artillery coming down. The only reason you don't give it up, is because you still have hopes of recapturing Konigsplatz, which is more defendable.

Eventually it becomes hopeless, and knowing that you don't have the reinforcements to hold a tough-to-defend point for the rest of the map time, you withdraw to a properly defendable point.

Upvote 0