• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fedorov Avtomat.( The first Assult rifle)maybe a bit unrealistiv though

svt38r.jpg

SVT-38

simonovavs36.jpg

AVS-36

The AVT-40 is just an SVT-40 with a selector switch, basically. Sometimes the stock was a little beefier, too, although a lot of the SVT-40's that are out there on the market today are actually AVT's with the select-fire fire control group swapped out for a semi-only one.

Upvote 0
ok you're right on the point that the German army still refers to all it's rifles as Gewehr ( G1 is also FN-FAL )

i still hold that it's a battle rifle and not an assault rifle

theres a distinct difference between the two and just because the Germans ( and Austrians , nice name call on the STG-58 ) haven't made the nomenclatural distinction betwixt the two, doesn't mean they're one and the same, that's total BS.

Upvote 0
ok you're right on the point that the German army still refers to all it's rifles as Gewehr ( G1 is also FN-FAL )

theres a distinct difference between the two and just because the Germans ( and Austrians , nice name call on the STG-58 ) haven't made the nomenclatural distinction betwixt the two, doesn't mean they're one and the same, that's total BS.

Which is completely irrelevant anyways towards suggesting the addition of Soviet weapons...

Upvote 0

Well I said it before there are different ways of defining something. Get over your one defintion (close-minded) thing. Diversity! ;)
You make that distinction, we don't. What's the problem with that?

I think Krazykraut pointed it out well: In post-WW2 germany anything that was capable of select-fire, issued on individual level and fired something bigger than a pistol round was referred to as "assault" rifle.

Personaly I don't think adding this weapon would be a good idea, similar to the FG-42 that was not used in critical numbers.

Upvote 0
By definition this weapon is not an "assault rifle" ergo it does not qualify as the world's first, however it does qualify as an "assault weapon". Because the weapon is not capable of selective-fire it disqualifies it as being labeled as an assault rifle. There are 5 characteristics which must be met to qualify as an assault rifle:
  • Is a carbine sized individual weapon with provision to be fired from a shouldered position.
  • Is capable of selective fire.
  • Fires from a locked breach.
  • Utilizes an intermediate powered-cartridge.
  • Ammunition is supplied from a large capacity detachable box magazine.
To be classified as an "assault weapon" however the weapon must meet only 2 of 10 set criteria.
  • A detachable magazine holding more than 10 rounds.
  • Military-style appearance, including semi-automatic replicas of military selective-fire assault rifles and machine guns
  • A folding or telescoping stock
  • Attached grenade launchers such as the M203 or rifle grenade
  • On rifles and shotguns, pistol grips that extend vertically from the stock
  • A bayonet lug
  • Threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, muzzle brake, or sound suppressor
  • Weapons that include a barrel shroud
  • On pistols, those on which the magazine attaches outside of the pistol grip
  • A forward mounted pistol grip
And our weapon in question here meets 2 if not more of these criteria. So in review, it's not quite an assault rifle, but technically is classified as an "assault weapon".

Edit: Upon further investigation on Wikipedia it says that the weapon DID indeed have a select-fire switch, however I can't find it in any of the pictures I've found of the rifle. So now that just leaves the debate on whether the 6.5mm round is an intermediate round to qualify it as an assault rifle.

Thats just American legal definitions, ment to regulate import and sale of arms to civilians, it has nothing to do with what makes an actual assault rifle, that list is of no use to this debate.

An assault rifle is defined as such:

1) It must use an entermediate rifle round.
2) It must be an automatic weapon.
3) This one is argued about, but some feel it must also be select fire capable (i say bollocks, more legal loopholes so civilians can own semi auto AR's).

Federov's 1913 rifle more than qualifies! (note: thats the 1913 rifle, the one chambered for a real entermediate round, NOT the 1916 rifle, that was re-chambered for the Arisaka round).

Upvote 0