• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Far Cry 2 - First Info

Zips

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2006
Rapture
totalgamingnetwork.com
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=169105

Jack Carver isn't here. The monstrous Trigens are gone and that tropical island from the original game is over a thousand miles away. Instead, we're on the sprawling plains of the African savannah, and our enemies are angry humans and hungry wildlife. Far Cry as you knew it is dead: long live Far Cry 2.

If it's not white beaches or slathering mutants, what is it?

In short, everything. Far Cry 2 is hugely, impossibly ambitious. It's Stalker gone on safari; it's Boiling Point with a budget.
And then this...
"The game takes place in two fully open worlds that are five kilometres on a side, with the second world 'unlocking' roughly one-third of the way through the game," he explains.

"This gives a playable area of 50 square kilometres, through which the player is allowed to freely travel at any time. The story's also non-linear, dynamic and procedurally assembled using a simple drama-management engine to populate the story with key characters and facilitate the convergence of the story toward major climactic events."

At least it sounds better than the "superhuman jumping over the buildings killing alien monsters"-Crysis.

Yeah, i'll give 'em that...
Still, this doesnt sound like FarCry at all to me, though i cant express how happy i am they leave the fecking mutants out lol.
I just wish they would keep it on a tropical island, cause not many games use that setting, or at least use it properly.

Upvote 0
Don't believe the hype!11!1

Seriously remember all the other times a game was going to be the most dynamic, open-ended game with the best AI you ever saw and then you get a game like Oblivion or Stalker. Pointless even talking about a game until you have played it - its all lies..LIES11!

Upvote 0
But they didn't live up to the hype - the AI in both were way below what they said they would be and Oblivion was insultingly dumbed down in pretty much everything you could do...very un-immersive for me..and immersion is the most important thing in a RPG

In STALKER (and I think Oblivion too) the AI is there, just deactivated for most parts. They did that because it would disrupt the story. If you try the A-life mod, crucial characters are usually killed by a creature. Oblivion prevents this by making important NPCs invulnerable but considering the horrible Radiant AI it's more to protect them from the player rather than the world.

Upvote 0
Yes, amazing how Oblivion was extremely casual, mainstreamed game for the 'typical' Xbox gamer.

Exactly.
IMO Oblivion could have been fun.
Could have been, but not while it's also wearing the Elder Scrolls sign in front of it, because in the light of TES games its an unworthy and inferior piece of bullcrap.
The same goes for Vegas.
Vegas could have been fun, if only it had not had the Rainbow Six signature in front of it.
If you look at what the originals were like, both Vegas and Oblivion are dumbed down noobified games, raping the good name of a great series, for the sake of 'mainstream gamers'.
Well, i have a nice surprise for them: all those 'mainstream gamers' dont care, and if they do care their opinion does not count, because the useless slobs download the game anyway without paying anything for it.

Upvote 0
Exactly.
Could have been, but not while it's also wearing the Elder Scrolls sign in front of it, because in the light of TES games its an unworthy and inferior piece of bullcrap.
The same goes for Vegas.
Vegas could have been fun, if only it had not had the Rainbow Six signature in front of it.
If you look at what the originals were like, both Vegas and Oblivion are dumbed down noobified games, raping the good name of a great series, for the sake of 'mainstream gamers'.
Well, i have a nice surprise for them: all those 'mainstream gamers' dont care, and if they do care their opinion does not count, because the useless slobs download the game anyway without paying anything for it.

Fanboi. I liked Vegas tbh, not the previous Rainbox six games.

Upvote 0
Exactly.
The same goes for Vegas.
God could you please stop ranting about R6 Vegas in every second post?

Upvote 0
God could you please stop ranting about R6 Vegas in every second post?

Well, i kinda have to.
As i've been playing games a whole long time and i know the brilliance of the old games, it just hurts to see what people are doing to all of my beloved series.

You cannot say that Vegas is a worthy R6 game, as it offers a totally different experience as opposed to what you know about the old R6 gameplay.
But its not just Vegas, there's a whole lot more games that do this as well, this is just one of the biggest examples.

I know you might find my ranting annoying. But it is annoying to me as well that i HAVE to rant about this stuff, cause i'm not happy with it either.

Upvote 0
Well, i kinda have to.
As i've been playing games a whole long time and i know the brilliance of the old games, it just hurts to see what people are doing to all of my beloved series.

You cannot say that Vegas is a worthy R6 game, as it offers a totally different experience as opposed to what you know about the old R6 gameplay.
But its not just Vegas, there's a whole lot more games that do this as well, this is just one of the biggest examples.

I know you might find my ranting annoying. But it is annoying to me as well that i HAVE to rant about this stuff, cause i'm not happy with it either.
You are right about the name. It should've been released under a different name. Yet it's an excellent game. Tbh I highly doubt you'll ever see a game like Rogue Spear again. You just have to get over that. Personally I loved Raven Shield and when I first heard that they would port Vegas over to PC I was absolutely anti-vegas, then I stopped giving a **** about the game in general. Then when I got my new PC I could actually play it and it's just fun. I know it's sad that games are getting more and more arcade(though I wouldn't call Vegas that) but complaining is just useless.

Upvote 0
Yeah plus these are the RO forums on a thread about FarCry 2. More ranting about Vegas really isn't needed. All of us know how much you hate it. TRUST ME. :mad:

Now Oblivion was a fun game. It may have not had the size that morrowind had, but it was a lot better in the sense of combat. I couldn't stand morrowind for the aweful combat system.

Upvote 0
Actually, I think the discussion of Vegas and Oblivion DO fit in here somehow, as all three series, R6, TES and FarCry seem to get on only due to marketing reasons, without actually remaining true to their predecessors.

But unlike Vegas and Oblivion, Far Cry 2 might actually be better than part 1.
Still I dislike the idustry's way of using successfull names to boost the sales of essentially different games.

Upvote 0
vegas is awesome, who cares about the ****ing name. It could be named crap in a box and it'd still be a great game, get over it!

Way to contribute to a discussion. *clap* *clap*

It might be "just a name" for you, but it isn't for me, the original R6 fans and ubisofts marketing department, obviously.
And actually you validate my point, as it is "just a name" to you. They might have called it "Anti-Terror: Vegas" and it wouldn't have made any difference for those who don't know and/or like the series.
It makes a difference to those people who like the original concept behind R6 though. So basically, the publishers just use a name to get a larger audience, and possibly fool some more people into buying it that wouldn't have done so if it was called otherwise.
If we look closely, R6: Vegas doesn't even have the same protagonists as all of the sequels (including the abomination Lockdown). So it really doesn't share anything with R6.

Another thing I don't understand is why people like yourself even bother to post these statements. You enjoy Vegas, I have no problem with that. In fact I too enjoyed that game, I was just pissed that it used the R6 name, because it has nothing to do with the series whatsoever. IMHO it's just a glaring sign of two of the major flaws of the gaming industries of today: It is unimaginative and profit driven.
That might be okay for a generation that grew up with faceless hollywood blockbusters and soulless game clones with repetetive gameplay, but I too vividly remember times when games were inovative and dared to challenge you.
Just look at Vegas. It took me about one and a half afternoons to beat it in both difficulty settings. Now when I played R6 up to Ravenshield, I took a whole day for me to finish one single mission, even on easy, because I optimised my mission plans until every little tiny bit was carried out perfectly and I won the mission without my team being hit once. And it didn't stop at that. Due to how it worked, a mission could play totally differently, depending on how you set up your plan. So completing it the second, third and fourth time with increasing difficulty actually still made fun. Unlike in Vegas (and Lockdown I guess, but I never played that one due to being scared off by the demo), where you basically just can't take as much damage, but you still walk the same prescripted paths.
Heck, in the first three parts, even playing the mission thrice with the very same plan was less monotonous, as you could play as another fire team.

So, to reply to your "get over with". I don't want to. I don't wanna be served the same crap like the ADD suffering Xbox generation. I wanna be challenged, not taken by my hand and lead through a flashy graphics maze. I don't wanna be gratified instantly like the average twelve year old spoiled brat that wouldn't get their parents spend money on a game he wouldn't be able to finish without having to do something for it. Sadly that brat, or rather the parents at his command, are the main audience for games nowadays. Of course their are certain pearls that shine out, like RO, ArmA or Strike Force, but, just as the R6 series so well demonstrates: even these rare pearls are getting transformed into something for the socalled mainstream audience.
I just hope that TW doesn't go the same way after having a bit of success and actually realising that making lots of money has it's merits over making a game they themselves want to play.

Wow, this turned out to be quite a long rant. Well, BTT. Far Cry 2 looks promising, but I don't understand why they use the name, as it has nothing to do with the first one.

Upvote 0