• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 1 not working :(

Fallout is pretty old, so it is no doubt hardcoded to use standards for Audio that are nolonger in use, thats usually the problem with old games on a new system, though video might also be a problem if it's trying to use old SVGA display modes.

So, you will probably have to emulate some things.

Download thease appz:

WDMsound
Cli2nop
NOLFB.com

Just google for them, they are free and should be obtainable from any number of sites, except perhabs NOLFB.com which i think is only found on Ken Silvermans Build site.

WDMsound is a Sounblaster emulator, launching your games with this will usually make allmost any old game work, because usually the problem with them is that they expect to find a good old Soundblaster or 100% compatible card in your system, and thats a standard we haven't used for ages now.

Cli2Nop may solve audio problems WDMsound cannot, by patching the game executable it changes the "Cli" command to the "Nop" command.. i dont know the techical reasons, but apparently modern soundcards like the Nop command and hates the Cli command, whatever thouse are.. but it has helped me play alot of old games on XP with fully working sound.

NOLFB.com is an SVGA emulator, it lets a modern screen run old games in higher resolutions than 320x280 without problems, if the games wont run in higher resolutions without crashing, this is the app you want.

Try thouse, Start with WDMsound because that alone may be enough to help you, and if not, then try Cli2Nop aswell, and if there's still no joy try NOLFB.com also, chances are thease things will make it work :)

Upvote 0
I read somewhere someone tried to install Fallout 1 via DosBox but the installation program locked up. He installed Fallout 2 first and then Fallout 1 and that worked. He says he tried it on two different machines. Maybe this solves your problem too.

Maybe the game just can't cope with larger hdds. If that's the case, maybe you can install it onto a usb stick and then copy it from there to wherever you want it to be and change the registry accordingly if the game requires it.

Upvote 0