• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Ever tried letting the tank bot command????

IconoclastDX

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
IMO, bots are horrible drivers but fabulous point-and-clickers (gunners). They can sever compensate well for range, find targets quickly and even seem to take on the tanks that are the greatest threat (ie. notice you). Ive tried it a number of times and it has nearly always worked fabulously for me. I can manuver the tank exactly how when and where I want and the bot spots enemy tanks very quickly. And in the rare cases where they dont see them, bots seem to respond to the "enemy spotted" calls (though im not sure if they do, maybe ill have a gander through the code). The only negative things I can think of about bot commanders is there memory and range limitations. They tend to immediately forget about a enemy tank if, for instance, you back up behind a ridge while reloading. As soon as the bot looses LOS the turrent immediately starts traversing, persumably for a new target. Also, they dont much like engaging tanks at extreme range. Ive had various success with maps like Arad at ranges exceeding ~500m. Other than that, and the fact that they will not switch to HE and engage infantry (probagbly a good thing) tank gunners are nearly 100% of the time superior to your average human commanders.

Here my break down:

Effectiveness - Human | Bot

Spotting Close. - 3-7 | 7-9
Spotting Far... - 5-8 | 3-5
F vs. F ID..... - 2-8 | 10
Aim vs armor... - 4-8 | 7-9
Aim vs light... - 1-5 | 5-7
Aim vs inf..... - 6-9 | 4-6
Responsiveness. - 2-9 | 4-6
Special tasks.. - 5-8 | 2-5

Last edited:
Ya know, When I first let bots command a tank back when the game first cam out they did just that. But recently they have been much much better. Ive never run a server so i dont know this, but can the skill level of the bots be set for the server? I would assume they can. And if so, then I sure that might effect how well the bots fight. I havent looked but is the bots skill level (assuming it can be set) available in the server browser?

Upvote 0
eh... the bots blow, they have an attention span of a dead sparrow.

I shoot better than them, I spot better than them, I rangefind better than them.

My favorite tank thing to do is to take the stug on that winter map with the bridge, post up at my arty bunker and score direct hits on infantry with AP rounds as they come out of spawn, and mess with the russian commander with HE rounds in his bunker.

I hate bots they are dumb, and they cheat

The only bots that I do like are the ones from CS:S. They are the best bots coded for a game so far.

Upvote 0
GoArmy said:
I learned early on that I hated bots. Countless times I have been just about to cop off a round when "Otto" or "Freidrich" decides to jump in and take control making me ultimately miss the shot.
Lol! Bots driving tank= worst experience known to mankind. You might as well type "suicide" in the console cause you're going to be dead soon. Funny thing is they'll run 600 yards on foot just to get in your tank and get you killed.

Upvote 0