• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

End-of-Year Survey: WEAPON Suggestions

Mister Master

Oct 11, 2020
[Updated after Winter 2021 update.]
I filled out the end-of-year survey yesterday and wanted to share some specifics as to why I gave certain weapons the scores that I did. Overall, there has been amazing work done towards balancing weapons this past year, but there are just a few more changes that I would recommend.

You can also find my Perk Skill Suggestions thread here.
  1. Berserker
  2. Commando
  3. Support
  4. Field Medic
    • HRG Healthrower: This weapon has amazing healing power. However, as a result, it is too powerful. Maybe nerf the healing darts to the level of the HMTech-201 SMG so that it stays as a close-range healing weapon.
  5. Demolitionist
    • C4 Explosives: I understand the requirement of C4 not being too powerful so that teams don't gang up on bosses with only C4 (like they did in KF1), but now no one ever uses C4. We should at least be able to upgrade it. Even with an increase in damage via upgrades, it cannot be easily abused because of the steep upgrade costs and increase in weight.
  6. Firebug
    • HRG Scorcher: It's a fun idea, but it definitely underperforms compared to same-tier weapons. The burn effect from the primary fire mode (and maybe secondary as well) needs to last much longer, while the impact damage can be reduced to account for the burn effect's extension (but overall giving more damage output). The primary fire only lasts for 3 seconds!!! A regular flare (Firebug's Molotov Cocktail) lasts for a whopping 31 seconds! Flare weapons like this one should definitely rely much, much more on DOT, making it a unique addition to the Firebug's arsenal.
  7. Gunslinger
  8. Sharpshooter
  9. SWAT
    • Riot Shield & Glock 18: The shield aspect needs to be more worth it. Otherwise everyone will just buy dual G18Cs. The shield should have just as much resistance as the Bone Crusher's shield (x0.3 damage multiplier instead of x0.4).
  10. Survivalist
Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, ain't gonna lie my friend, I'm not even sure that Tripwire really does read our answers... Even though they say they do. But just in case, let me comment on your comments, because that's what I do best here on these forums !

Commando : it's funny that you think that way, I think we're the only two guys who find nothing wrong with the minigun ! But I know a lot of people actually find it somewhat unsatisfying to use... Either the mag size is too low, or the weapon doesn't fire fast enough, or it's weak... I personally believe they did a fine job for a weapon I never thought would be included due to how ludicrous it would be. I do believe that you're right regarding its weight however : it should definitely be as heavy as the M99. They're both T5 after all, and I can't see why the sharp should stick to the .500 as a sidearm when the Commando can pick nearly anything he wants. I do believe that 11 would be sufficient however, as the 9mm are "nobody's weapon of choice" (even if it would boost the use of fallback, which is actually a commando and SWAT exclusive skill). If we do increase the weight, I think it should have a slight bump in ammo, both in reserve and in the mag, but just to keep its status worthy of being a T5.

Demo : the C4... My god the C4... It has always been in a weird spot, isn't it? It's more of a tool than a real weapon, and tools aren't really beloved in Killing Floor, or only if they're attached to weaponry. The welder is free and is barely used. The C4, albeit somewhat "cheap" is rarely there "when you need it". In the first few waves, where such a highly-damaging but risky weapon would be perfect, it is a bit too expensive (as it is better to purchase armor and wait for T3 weapons, where the demo really starts to shine). Afterwards, you have more money to spare... but it is weight that becomes a hindrance. And even the meager 2kg of the C4 can prove to be not worthy of the risks. Plus, the highly damaging blast is not that attractive once you get the RPG-7, not to mention the dynamite can also make quick work of trash groups, or badly wound fleshpounds. So what should we do? I don't know. Lowering the price would probably make it too easy to abuse such a devastating weapon. Maybe should we increase the base C4 amount, as to make it a proper "weapon" rather than a quirky situational tool? And don't compare it to the glorious pipe bomb ! That thing was a gift from the gods... Only the best player knew how and when to set them up. And how to lure WHOM they wanted to step on it. I laughed more than a few times at people stacking bombs behind a welded door against the Patriarch too... Only to get blown to smithereens.

Firebug : You nailed it on the head. I had more fun that I thought I would... but it's still outshined by the Spitfire, and it's one tier below ! I guess it would have been better to make it a proper HX-25 that spread fire like fireworks rather than a solid "flare" projectile. But just like the Bow I talk about right under, I just believe you can't really make it all that different from the Spitfire functionally speaking. And that's the problem with Tripwire adding so many weapons for each perk : after a while, it's difficult to come up with something new. So weapons end up either being boring, or even worse : crossing each others' path. As for DoT : don't rely on it too much in Killing Floor 2. What was absolutely monstrous in KF1 is now hardly worth your while. Zeds often take way too long to die due to fire alone, when they don't extinguish period !

Sharp : How disappointed I was when I tried the weapon... For some reason, I thought it would have been such a smash hit, and it just ended up being a poor man's crossbow. I also don't get the cryo arrows, like... Why is the Sharpshooter the "cryogenic" perk for some reason? And if so, then why does the zerk/support ended up with a cryo shotgun? I honestly would have rather seen a triple crossperk with the firebug (flaming arrows) and the demo (explosive arrows). Mind you, I guess it would have made the weapon better in the hands of those two perks, with the Demo having some sort of crossover between the RPG-7 and the Seal Squeal, with the firebug finally having a true "long-ranged" option that also deals high burst damage. I personally struggle to see how you could improve the weapon for the sharp considering it already has the Crossbow... It's cheaper, has more ammo, and is nearly as powerful.

SWAT : well, dual glock18c are unavailable for the SWAT, so I guess that you're stuck with the basic riot shield combo anyway. I personally find that weapon to be one of the most satisfying out of the DLC offerings, and one that not only fits the SWAT role, but finally spices up his arsenal. Maybe all of these perks actually cloud my vision of how the weapon could (should?) be improved, but I personally find it interesting to use. Maybe a tad too expensive though. A T3 would be wiser, maybe at the price of making the weapon slightly weaker.

Reactions: Mister Master
Upvote 0
I tend to agree. Just a bit more on the C4 though - I make use of it a lot, on many different perks. It can be a life saver and a huge damage increase at the right times, even off-perk on something like Medic. The only thing I want changed about it is move it to the bottom of the tools instead of the top so I don't switch to C4 when I try to heal a teammate.

Reactions: Mister Master
Upvote 0
Sharpshooter
Model 1887 Shotgun loaded with slugs

1100 dosh

No spread, high single shot damage

Flip-cock like the terminator

Commando
300. blackout with taped magazines and acog sight. Super fast reloasing, high recoil, insane damage.

2000 dosh

Berserker/survivalist.
Sawn-off shotgun in one hand, Chainsaw in the other, Evil dead style. Alt fire is the sawn off, All heavy strikes are chainsaw slow cuts. Light attacks are quick slices.

2000 dosh

Survivalist
Slingshot loaded with glass balls filled with acid. Alt fire switches ammo to rocks which stun zeds.

Upvote 0
Sharpshooter
Model 1887 Shotgun loaded with slugs

1100 dosh

No spread, high single shot damage

Flip-cock like the terminator

Commando
300. blackout with taped magazines and acog sight. Super fast reloasing, high recoil, insane damage.

2000 dosh

Berserker/survivalist.
Sawn-off shotgun in one hand, Chainsaw in the other, Evil dead style. Alt fire is the sawn off, All heavy strikes are chainsaw slow cuts. Light attacks are quick slices.

2000 dosh

Survivalist
Slingshot loaded with glass balls filled with acid. Alt fire switches ammo to rocks which stun zeds.
The main problem I see with a slug-based shotgun, is that it would remove the one weakness the support has (and considering he's already one of the most versatile perk, that would be a huge problem). The only other issue besides range I can think of would be his slow reloads, and even then : most of them can be interrupted to fire a nasty shell in the face of a gorefast who thought it was a good idea to bother you mid-reload. Plus, with the tight choke skill, you can already snipe with most shotguns... But I guess it would look stylish?

I don't understand fully your Commando idea... Basically, it would be like a harder-hitting, albeit slower counterpart to the minigun? Maybe with less ammo (and less weight) to boot? I mean...Why not ! But I'd rather have another LMG then to be fair.

Believe me... I would LOOOOVE that shotgun/chainsaw combo, considering how madly in love I am with Bruce Campbell, Ash Williams and Evil Dead as a whole. But I really struggle to see how you could convincingly use a chainsaw one-handed? Unless you place it on a stub, just like in te movies, it would surely look a bit weird ! I dig the idea though, it would surely fit the zerk much more than either the VLAD or the Frost Fang... But it should be a support crossperk instead (mind you : all weapons are crossperked with the survivalist !)

The slingshot idea is very weird and I don't see it being that fun to use as anything more than a tool (like the hemogoblin for instance). But assuming it's not too expensive nor heavy, I suppose it could make for an interesting sidearm?

Upvote 0
  1. Field Medic
    • HRG Healthrower: This weapon has amazing healing power. However, as a result, it is too powerful. Maybe nerf the healing darts to the level of the HMTech-201 SMG so that it stays as a close-range healing weapon.
The darts are the least of this weapon's issues. It's an absurd weapon that lets you spray down trash like a Firebug and simultaneously heal entire groups of players with no regard to positioning requirements from you or the other players, fully stack L-side buffs nearly instantly, and dart them from a distance.

It does far too much with how powerful healing gas is against Zeds. At the very least it needs to have damage on Zeds disabled.

1. Demolitionist
    • C4 Explosives: I understand the requirement of C4 not being too powerful so that teams don't gang up on bosses with only C4 (like they did in KF1), but now no one ever uses C4. We should at least be able to upgrade it. Even with an increase in damage via upgrades, it cannot be easily abused because of the steep upgrade costs and increase in weight.
C4 is and always has been one of Demo's best tools even with the hidden mechanics and such, it's just that most players have no idea how to effectively use it. Still deletes FPs and QPs oh-so-nicely and is probably the best way to take advantage of Destroyer of Worlds.
Unfortunately, most players still won't, because the Kaboomstick has universally dumbed down Demo to the point where you don't see a single pub Demo use anything else since it covers almost every weakness that Demo-with-RPG would otherwise have and is just so much easier to use than the C4 + 500 combo.

On that note:
Nerf

Kaboomstick,

please.

• Riot Shield & Glock 18: The shield aspect needs to be more worth it. Otherwise everyone will just buy dual G18Cs. The shield should have just as much resistance as the Bone Crusher's shield (x0.3 damage multiplier instead of x0.4).
Currently, my biggest gripe with the G18 is how awful the spread and recoil are. Even the 201 shoots straighter in bursts. Fix that and the G18+Shield gets better.

Upvote 0
I can get behind the nerfing of darts honestly. That said, I feel like TWI/Saber can't make this weapon too powerful or too weak since this weapon primarily exists because people seem to have an uncanny ability to dodge healing darts, and spraying healing gas at their feet seems to be the best solution to this
HRG Scorcher: It's a fun idea, but it definitely underperforms compared to same-tier weapons. The burn effect from the primary fire mode (and maybe secondary as well) needs to last much longer, while the impact damage can be reduced to account for the burn effect's extension (but overall giving more damage output). The primary fire only lasts for 3 seconds!!! A regular flare (Firebug's Molotov Cocktail) lasts for a whopping 31 seconds! Flare weapons like this one should definitely rely much, much more on DOT, making it a unique addition to the Firebug's arsenal.
I actually think the HRG Scorcher's in a good position as it is, since this is a weapon that you never actually wanna keep around for a long time, lest it'd make the actual endgame weapons somewhat worthless. If you're using this, it's because you need a big zed killing weapon but can't afford the Helios Rifle and I think it does what it's supposed to do long enough for the player to live long enough to sell it later.
Riot Shield & Glock 18: The shield aspect needs to be more worth it. Otherwise everyone will just buy dual G18Cs. The shield should have just as much resistance as the Bone Crusher's shield (x0.3 damage multiplier instead of x0.4).
Honestly, the shield mechanics are kind of a mess. Ironsighting to block is a pretty clumsy implementation, and really kills the player's effective field of vision. What I think would've worked better is if the weapon could only fire at full-auto only, but pressing the change fire mode button would block/parry like most Berserker weapons. That way, we could get a better iron sight animation.

Also, since people are throwing their ideas around for balance changes:

Fire Axe: Decrease equip and putdown times by half, reduce priority. Also reduce price to $750
Reasoning: The Fire Axe has always come off to me as a stopgap weapon designed specifically for quarter pounds, scrakes, gorefiends and husks. Against weaker enemies, you're much better off using the Crovel instead. The increased weapon switch speed would allow the Berserker to juggle between the Crovel and Fire Axe with much greater finesse than right now. The reduction in priority would also emphasize the Fire Axe's role as a situational weapon, so the player would more likely know to not use it as their primary method of killing things.

Katana: Price reduction to 650, maybe a 15% damage boost to its heavy attack?
I really don't know how one would balance this weapon right now since the Crovel makes it redundant and if you absolutely need a Tier 2 melee weapon, then it's simply much more productive to upgrade the Crovel once. The main reason why the Katana was an upgrade before it got nerfed was not because of how effective at killing it is, but rather it because it's essentially the same as the Crovel but weighed one fewer weight block. Actually, would removing that extra weight block be a good idea again considering the Piranha Pistol's existence?

1911 Pistol (Single): Cross-perk with Commando
Reasoning: With all the different weapons available to the Gunslinger (Winchester 1897, Mossberg Centerfire, T2 Medic Pistol), I feel like the 1911 pistols have been relegated to a very niche role at best and power-crept to oblivion at worst. I feel like the best course of action for TWI/Saber is to actually give up on balancing the 1911 around its usage on the Gunslinger and give the singular pistol to Commando.

In terms of gameplay balance, we'll now have a $325 Commando weapon sporting a 12 round magazine while also dealing 77.5 damage per shot thanks to the passive Perk Weapon Damage bonus and Hollow Point Rounds, which may prove to be a welcome medium zed killer to some players during the early game.

If we're talking purely about thematics, I feel that the 1911 is one of the better non-AR weapons to cross-perk with Commando, since the M1911 pistol has often been hailed as the OG commando weapon long before video games were even a thing, being the first weapon of choice for any self-respecting protagonist of an action movie.

Reactions: SpartanSeth
Upvote 0