• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Editing a skin will not let you get online

tha MediC

Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2009
I changed the horrible Eotech reticule the bullpup has, saved it all etc, tested it on solo then tried to get online and it doesn't let me -.-

What good is having the SDK, if we can't get online with simple reskins which improve the game and benefit the community, add fresh idea's and such.

I changed the horrible Eotech reticule the bullpup has, saved it all etc, tested it on solo then tried to get online and it doesn't let me -.-

What good is having the SDK, if we can't get online with simple reskins which improve the game and benefit the community, add fresh idea's and such.

This needs to be fixed. We should be able to skin/edit the look of our games without the use of a server-side mutator.

Upvote 0
Guys, we can not support client side modification of skins, as it is prone to hacking. We understand that you guys don't see that as a threat, but we still treat it as though its a Player vs. Player game because we do not want people using modified files to obtain the Perks/Achievements. This really is an important aspect to people continuing to play the game.

If you'd like to modify skins, you can put them in a separate texture package(overriding one of Killing Floor's default texture packages isn't supported) and you can modify which textures are used via small code changes.

Then, in order to support Perks/Achievements when someone has your changes loaded, we must add the mutator to the "White List" of .u(code) packages that are allowed to load.

We understand that this makes things more complicated, but we are very strict on our default security measures. We will work with you to get everything supported as quickly as possible, but please be patient as we are still a small company.

Upvote 0
If you did replace original Killing Floor files with custom ones, then of course it will not work.
All you can do is to add to it. Adding new chars, adding new mutators, adding new maps. But not overwriting them. It is written down on many places that you must leave original files intact to keep the game functional.

edit
Thanks, [TW]Xienen.
That also seem to answer my own question I had in the "Steamstats: Security check failed" thread.

edit2
Does the same count for custom maps? I have not tryed it. But you can be sure that...well..you are trying to avoid something done through muts, which also can be done within maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys, we can not support client side modification of skins, as it is prone to hacking. We understand that you guys don't see that as a threat, but we still treat it as though its a Player vs. Player game because we do not want people using modified files to obtain the Perks/Achievements. This really is an important aspect to people continuing to play the game.

If you'd like to modify skins, you can put them in a separate texture package(overriding one of Killing Floor's default texture packages isn't supported) and you can modify which textures are used via small code changes.

Then, in order to support Perks/Achievements when someone has your changes loaded, we must add the mutator to the "White List" of .u(code) packages that are allowed to load.

We understand that this makes things more complicated, but we are very strict on our default security measures. We will work with you to get everything supported as quickly as possible, but please be patient as we are still a small company.

Well thanks for the reply..I guess there is no need to work more on my HUD mod then..stuck with either no hud or a over saturated red hud

Burning<<

Upvote 0

Seriously now? You have to be joking, it's a game against AI ENEMIES. What difference would it ever make if they have neon green stalkers? They're just cheating themselves out of the experience.

Upvote 0
I partly agree.

If there is some people that think they have to create themselves some cheating tools to gain highest perks, then who cares, let them destroy their own fun.
They will soon find out that it was wrong.

Carnivean, in KF it's also possible to have Deathmatch games already. I played one yesterday. ^^ I must admit that most people had heavy trouble aiming without the crosshair, or they used the scope too often. I just "blindly" shoot the people which is faster, and accurate enough. I've won like by 25 to 5. Well everyone left at that time. LOL :p So you see...perks may play a role there, maybe not. I don't know if they were enabled in that Deathmatch round. (I don't know if DM is part of KF, or if the map had the code) edit. ok I think I know it now.

KF DM isn't too bad. Needs good maps and maybe some "adjustments". Time will tell what is about to come for it. The game is too new just now and paths still need to be created.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ffs you guys.
If you make a mutator/mod and a seperate package it'll work fine.

Otherwise you're getting a version mis-match because a package the game uses doesn't match the correct one.

If you saved the skin in another package and used a mutator it would of been fine. That mutator must be on the server, or a listen server you host, however.

Upvote 0
ffs you guys.
If you make a mutator/mod and a seperate package it'll work fine.

Otherwise you're getting a version mis-match because a package the game uses doesn't match the correct one.

If you saved the skin in another package and used a mutator it would of been fine. That mutator must be on the server, or a listen server you host, however.

Read the whole thing. It's not really about the problem not being able to put in custom content, because of course that IS possible by all means.

It's just that Muts/Mods disable Perks.

Upvote 0
Read the whole thing. It's not really about the problem not being able to put in custom content, because of course that IS possible by all means.

I saw complaints about not being able to do it without the use of a mutator.

Not being able to level perks with mutators is a seperate complaint. I imagine it'd be difficult to make it detect what a mutator is actually doing it allow it if it's graphical, and not allow perks to level if it changes gameplay..

Otherwise, a mutator would be made where joining the server levels all your perks to 5.
This has always been the case for UE games. Existing packages should never be modified. For a mutator to work online the server needs to be running it. This isn't just protecting general game security but the server admin's as well as they can dictate what content they want on their server.
In fact.. pretty much every unrealed tutorial you can kind starts with the first or 2nd paragraph saying "WARNING: Do not edit or add to exsisting packages and save the changes."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This is exactly right Red-Frog, and also note that I said we will be willing to add support for particular mutators to run along-side Perks, as long as we can verify that the code is not doing anything harmful(which is a rather simple process, just a time consuming one for us).

This definitely will not kill custom content and we are doing everything in our power to ensure the integrity of the original game is kept in tact while allowing harmless mutators to run on servers/clients. Please continue to make custom content in the proper manner(do not overwrite original content) and we will gladly add support for the harmless mutators running along side Perks.

Upvote 0

Can you put all that technical jargon into plain English?

I extracted the bullpup's Eotech reticule from the package in textures so im left with a 2mb .dds file, yet in order to get it back in game and working i have to put it back into the texture package file in the textures folder.

How can we hack in a Player vs CPU game with modded textures and models? sure some spaz might create an aimbot or something but damn,i don't see how bright pink headed zombies would aid players to "hack", if i wanted to "cheat so badly i'd do all that typical stuff in solo, the only difference between solo and MP is that i can play with freinds and have backup etc.

This isn't needed and you guys haven't even posted a HOW TO tutorial for even a mutator like stalkers only, or to remove crawlers, even the SDK editor is not very user-friendly and very frustrating.

Sorry, i really love Killing Floor, so much...it's so much more fun than Left 4 Dead, but not being able to reskin a horribly done Eotech reticule and play online with it because "it's to prevent haxzors" is just stupid

Valve introduced a command servers could run, well its a cvar called sv_pure 0
0 means modded skins are allowed, 1 means game defaults only and the game will only load default files, a simple fix which will allow people to get things looking saucier for them ;)

Upvote 0
Can you put all that technical jargon into plain English?

I extracted the bullpup's Eotech reticule from the package in textures so im left with a 2mb .dds file, yet in order to get it back in game and working i have to put it back into the texture package file in the textures folder.

How can we hack in a Player vs CPU game with modded textures and models? sure some spaz might create an aimbot or something but damn,i don't see how bright pink headed zombies would aid players to "hack", if i wanted to "cheat so badly i'd do all that typical stuff in solo, the only difference between solo and MP is that i can play with freinds and have backup etc.

This isn't needed and you guys haven't even posted a HOW TO tutorial for even a mutator like stalkers only, or to remove crawlers, even the SDK editor is not very user-friendly and very frustrating.

Sorry, i really love Killing Floor, so much...it's so much more fun than Left 4 Dead, but not being able to reskin a horribly done Eotech reticule and play online with it because "it's to prevent haxzors" is just stupid

Valve introduced a command servers could run, well its a cvar called sv_pure 0
0 means modded skins are allowed, 1 means game defaults only and the game will only load default files, a simple fix which will allow people to get things looking saucier for them ;)

Agreed.

This kind of thing kills a small part of the community. Some games shelf-life are increased by such things. I know I wouldn't be able to play CS:S or DoD:S if I couldn't replace my models in them.

I want a damn Chainsaw Arm from Army of Darkness and I want to use it on any server I join, just like most games allow today. This isn't a competitive game, there is no reason for this. You could at best, make the invisible mobs visible and whatnot...but in the end, since it's versus CPU, who gives a ****?

Upvote 0