• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dual Core - does the game work?

biblicone

Mar 14, 2006
I cannot get the game to start without either crashing to the desktop or locking up my computer. Its not only in RedOrchestra, but other games as well (BF1942...)

Through my research of this problem, it seems it may be an issue with the AMD dual core and/or Nvidia video card/ drivers issue.

Does anyone here have a dual core and have the game working? IF yes, do you have an ATI card? If you have a Nvidia card, what drivers are you using?

I have done the amd dual core fix. I have done the Windows hot fix for dual cores. I have updated all the video and sound drivers. Windows is a fresh install and fully updated.

My specs:
DFI -N4-DAGF mobo
AMD 64 X2 3800+ w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon fan upgrade
XFX 6600GT PCI-Express w/ZALMAN VF700 fan upgrade
2GB G.SKILL PC3200 RAM (4- 512MB cards)
2 - 80GB SATA drives
2 - 250GB IDE drives
Antec 500 PSU

Last edited:
Hey, first post here :)

I'm on a dual core opteron (got it friday!) and RO works fine for me... no patches or hacks or anything I can think of. I'm on a 6800GT if it helps - MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum NF3 board.

I had problems with cod2 being utterly unplayably jerky in dx9 mode after the upgrade, reinstalled WITHOUT the dual core patch and the issues went away. Strange world we're livin' in :)

Edit - By the way I'm using 84.21 drivers just released a few days ago... http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1353

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've had some problems with games that aren't dual core stable. When the game is running, ctrl-alt-delete, then processes and find Red Orchestra, right click, set affinity, then set it to either core 1 or core 0. Core 1 seems to be more stable. I have an Opteron 170 by the way :D I don't know if it helps in RO, because I still get General Protection Faults. I also have problems with and Half Life 2 related game crashing...hl2.exe has encountered an error and will close blah blah blah. Happens in CS:S and DOD:S every now and then.

Upvote 0
figured it out

figured it out

I figured out my problem. Maybe it will help others too who have problems loading the game. My problem had to do with the RAM. I had 4 sticks of 512 G. Skill ram installed. The game would load, then crash the machine as soon as it got to the menu. I took three sticks of ram out and used just one, and then the game finally worked. I tested each piece of ram individually and the game worked with each one. I bought some new ram (2x1GB sticks of Geil Ram) and everything works great.

It wasnt an issue with the Proc, mobo, or video card. Faulty ram maybe? Not according to memtest. I ran memtest for about 8 hours with no errors. I am glad its not an issue anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
biblicone said:
I understand the frustration. I got my system work with two 1GB sticks and two 512 sticks (giving me 3GB of ram). If your other games work, I am pretty sure its not a problem with your ram. Keep on trying. Maybe your research will help others on here too. Sorry.

That's weird since you have all four slots filled again... I wonder what the issue is? My current RAMs are all identical brand/model/etc... all good quality...

You were having lockups in the menu? Could you ever run the game? If I could get a game going, my system never froze... it only freezes in the menus. Is that what you had?

Upvote 0