• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Doshinegun -- Technical deets and thoughts

OnionBubs

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2021
Tested with Lv. 25 Survivalist, LRRLL; 6P Hell on Earth. (Lv. 15 ammo skill doesn't affect this weapon, so...)

The Doshinegun is a T2 weapon by default that can be upgraded to T5. It's categorized as an Assault Rifle in the giveweapon console command; unsure of the actual damage type. That damage type checks out, sort of, given the breakpoints; maybe @simplecat knows?

Weighs 4 blocks at base; 1 block for each upgrade to a maximum of 7 blocks at T5.

The projectile is literally a wad of money; 25 dosh, to be specific. Upon making contact with an enemy, the projectile bounces off the enemy and drops to the floor. The projectiles will bounce accurately off walls; enemy bouncing seems to be a bit more random but will usually just fall to the floor instead of flying off. (Maybe this gun was the ultimate long con of making the Dosh interact with the physics system and world objects?)

Magazine size is 20; when loading the gun, 25 dosh is consumed for each bullet placed into the mag.

The projectiles fired from this weapon are affected by gravity; they fly in an arc and drop off fairly quickly, so not only does one have to lead the target, they have to account for bullet drop, which is unusual for this game's mechanics. I think this one is even more severe with bullet drop than the Trenchgun, which is impressive in a bad way.

The projectiles can in fact be blocked (stolen?) by other players, which is one of the major knocks against this weapon.

From my testing, Sirens cannot destroy the in-flight dosh projectiles, which I suppose is just as well given that it would literally be erasing money.

At T2:
  • Decapitates Clots, Gorefasts, Crawlers, Stalkers, etc. in one headshot
  • 2 bodyshots for Stalkers
  • Takes 3 headshots to decap a Gorefiend
  • Takes 3 shots to decap a Siren (note: these are an absolute pain to consistently hit with the projectiles)
  • Takes 5 shots to decap a Husk
  • Takes 5 shots to decap a Bloat
  • Takes 6 leg hits for Rioters
  • Takes 23 shots to decap a Scrake (read: cannot one-mag)
  • Takes 42(!) shots to decap a Fleshpound; rage at 7th consecutive shot
  • Takes 30 shots to decap a QP
So, not good. However, once we bump it up to T5:
  • 1 bodyshot for Stalkers
  • Takes 2 headshots to decap a Gorefiend; stumble on first
  • Takes 2 shots to decap a Siren
  • Takes 3 shots to decap a Husk; stuns on 2nd shot
  • Takes 4 shots to decap a Bloat
  • Takes 4 leg hits for Rioters
  • Takes 15 shots to decap a Scrake (can one-clip with some margin for error
  • Takes 26 shots to decap a Fleshpound; rage at 5th consecutive shot (not a one-clip but loads better)
  • Takes 20 shots to decap a QP (one-clip with no margin for error; obviously worse when spraying them down)
Which is better, but you're still paying all the money to upgrade to T5 plus actually shooting money while you're at it. Combined with the projectile that requires you to be in closer range for consistent performace and it's harder to use than it would appear at first glance. Hard sell.

However, one thing I noticed is that this weapon's CC values are unusually high; it seems to have more stun than stumble, but both are quite high. Most Zeds that don't die by shot #4 will be stunned, for what that's worth. You still need Lockdown to stun Fleshpounds and QPs.

Miscellaneous stuff:
  • The weapon-check animations all use the exact same sound, and only checking the ammo box seems to match up with that sound.
  • The auto-fire sound is quieter than the semi-auto fire sound but they are otherwise identical.
  • The semi-auto animation, when fired rapidly, looks weird. The gun appears to have nastier recoil than it does.
  • I appreciate the cash register sound when loading the weapon. Funny touch for an appropriately silly weapon.
  • The stretching on the money wad model when it's loading into the magazine looks cursed.
  • The Trader will always nag you about ammo when using this weapon because its max ammo is coded as some weird thing, probably -1 which hits the threshold for "low ammo" voiceline triggers.
  • Reload cancelling does basically nothing for this gun; the value changes basically as the money finishes sliding into the mag.
  • SWAT's Rapid Assault doesn't seem to affect this gun; however, Commando's Machine Gunner does in fact apply to this gun. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but that seems off. @Kittenmittens or @Yoshiro can you confirm if this is supposed to be the case? If not, I can put an entry in the bug subforum.

Final thoughts:
Not as terrible as everyone seems to be harping about but I wouldn't seriously use it in multiplayer. It is, after all, a gimmick weapon attached to a gimmick perk, and the fact that other players can eat your hard-earned ammo combined with its inherent difficulty to wield relegates it down the list.

It at least can be used to flex on enemies in Solo, but what can't?

ADDENDUM:
I'm thinking this would make an excellent candidate for a gimmick weekly: an all-Doshinegun with unlimited money.

Last edited:
  • SWAT's Rapid Assault doesn't seem to affect this gun; however, Commando's Machine Gunner does in fact apply to this gun. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but that seems off. @Kittenmittens or @Yoshiro can you confirm if this is supposed to be the case? If not, I can put an entry in the bug subforum.
It's because of the description of the skill. Rapid Assault says it works with "perk weapons" this is an off perk gun. I believe Machine Gunner just says "all guns" in the relevant part. It should partially be working. I'll double check with Saber though.

Reactions: Barot8
Upvote 0