• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Don't drink and play RO

M.R.Maiornikov

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006
Ostfront
...Or this will happen to you. Speaking from experience here :p

drunkmu4.png

Courtesy of: Red Orchestra.RU

Last edited:
Hmmmm... That happens to me sometimes on a weekend. Playing for several hours and sipping drinks, the time just goes by and it's easy to lose track of how much "vodka" you've had! Once I lay down on the couch after playing and feel things spinning a bit I wonder....with the Red Army in WW2 having severe chronic alcoholism problems, how the hell did those guys fight? Hmm....no wonder they had so many millions of soldiers killed. :D

Just think this guy...with a gun and running at you......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_pw9vik0BQ

Upvote 0
Hmmmm... That happens to me sometimes on a weekend. Playing for several hours and sipping drinks, the time just goes by and it's easy to lose track of how much "vodka" you've had! Once I lay down on the couch after playing and feel things spinning a bit I wonder....with the Red Army in WW2 having severe chronic alcoholism problems, how the hell did those guys fight? Hmm....no wonder they had so many millions of soldiers killed. :D

Just think this guy...with a gun and running at you......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_pw9vik0BQ

Well you are clearly expressed a stereotipical idea about the russians. That we are drunk all the time. Please try to learn more about a nation before posting such things. And don't you dare linking the high casualties number to alcohol.You are insulting my nation and those who died bringing the victory over the Nazi Germany.

Upvote 0
Yeah Slyder, that was pretty damned awful. Please think before you speak. People could just as easily bring up similar hurtful steryotypes about Canadians and alcohol, or people from BC and marijuana. For the record guys, not all Canadians are as uneducated and insensitve about other people from around the world.

Don't worry i know, i'm myself from Montreal Canada. But when someone speaks about other nations with obvious ignorance, i have to step in.

Upvote 0
Well you are clearly expressed a stereotipical idea about the russians. That we are drunk all the time. Please try to learn more about a nation before posting such things. And don't you dare linking the high casualties number to alcohol.You are insulting my nation and those who died bringing the victory over the Nazi Germany.

Actually, my comments are based on well documented fact, intensive research and historical objectivity. Perhaps you should be doing a little research and fact finding on the state of the Red Army during the Second World War, both from 1941/42 and after from 43 to 45.

Secondly, crack a smile guys! A comment on history and a video I find funny is not a judgement on an entire nation, only a reference to the condition of an army 65 years ago. Relax....

ANd for those who are inevitably going to say, "What research, what documented fact?" I'm adding a list of several books off my own shelf that are based on painstaking research, and should be easily accessible to anyone in most countries or at least North America and Western Europe. They should also be easily found on places like Amazon or Ebay if you really want them to check up on things.
- "Ivan's War" by Catherin Merridale
- "A Writer at War, Vassily Grossman with the Red Army 1941-1945" translated and edited by Anthony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova
- "Armageddon, The Battle for Germany 1944-1945" by Max Hastings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, my comments are based on well documented fact, intensive research and historical objectivity. Perhaps you should be doing a little research and fact finding on the state of the Red Army during the Second World War, both from 1941/42 and after from 43 to 45.

Secondly, crack a smile guys! A comment on history and a video I find funny is not a judgement on an entire nation, only a reference to the condition of an army 65 years ago. Relax....

ANd for those who are inevitably going to say, "What research, what documented fact?" I'm adding a list of several books off my own shelf that are based on painstaking research, and should be easily accessible to anyone in most countries or at least North America and Western Europe. They should also be easily found on places like Amazon or Ebay if you really want them to check up on things.
- "Ivan's War" by Catherin Merridale
- "A Writer at War, Vassily Grossman with the Red Army 1941-1945" translated and edited by Anthony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova
- "Armageddon, The Battle for Germany 1944-1945" by Max Hastings

Wow ok so if you believe that the army who defeated one of the most powerful military of it's time was maynly composed of drunks, then i have nothing to say to you. Just hope you won't cross a russian veteran and say it to his face.And laughing at a trategy of millions of people who lost their lifes, i just can't find a better word to describe you...

P.S. And i love how your "References" are all written by people who really criticised the soviet regime. No wonder they will use anything to bring down the Red Army in the eyes of the westerners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow ok so if you believe that the army who defeated one of the most powerful military of it's time was maynly composed of drunks, then i have nothing to say to you. Just hope you won't cross a russian veteran and say it to his face.

This is bash Slyder Sunday or something.....
I never said the Red Army was an army of drunks. In fact, I never said anything other than an implied comedic remark about drinking too much and wondering how the Russians could fight...BASED ON THE PICTURE in the first post people!

HOwever, since people seem to think I'm speaking off the cuff here...lets clear a few things up.
Chronic alcohol problems were endemic in the Red Army, especially after they crossed the Vistula and entered territory far more prosperous than the average REd Army soldier had ever dreamed or heard of. Keep in mind the average Soviet soldier in 1943/44 was a fairly poor peasant/worker indoctrinated by propaganda to believe that everything outside of Soviet borders was a bourguois nightmare.

There are many well documented cases of deaths due to over drinking, shooting other soldiers or officers while drinking, committing war crimes and mass rapes while drinking (though these occured even when alcohol was not a factor, especially in East Prussia, the first actual German territory the Red Army reached, and one of the few places in Europe that until 1944 had experienced little in the way of bombing or war, a region populated by well to do German aristocracy and filled with temptations beyond what the Soviet soldier could have dreamed). THere was even a case of several soldiers arriving at a wine manufactory in Hungary and shooting holes in massive vats of wine, proceeding to drink so much they passed out, then drowning in the wine as it flooded the basement level it was located in. The Russian soldier was issued with the daily "100 grams". This was a measure of Vodka weighed in at 100 grams. This ration was systematically and routinely exceeded. Quartermasters were reporting by 1942 that the front line soldiers were drinking more vodka than tea, (this is from Velikay otechestvennaya). Russian authorities were aware of a problem but could not seem to manage the supply of vodka. Even in the winter of 1941/42, when the REd Army was near collapse and everything from boots to ammunition to trucks and gasoline was pretty much not to be seen...vodka still flowed freely.
So, clearly alcoholism was a major problem. This did not stop the Red Army from pretty much single handedly beating the Germans however, I never suggested this.

So, before making comments disparaging what someone has written or jumping on the bandwagon of other people talking about my comments being insensitive, learn a little historical information first so you can decide whether or not what you are complaining about is the truth or not.

Upvote 0
This is bash Slyder Sunday or something.....
I never said the Red Army was an army of drunks. In fact, I never said anything other than an implied comedic remark about drinking too much and wondering how the Russians could fight...BASED ON THE PICTURE in the first post people!

HOwever, since people seem to think I'm speaking off the cuff here...lets clear a few things up.
Chronic alcohol problems were endemic in the Red Army, especially after they crossed the Vistula and entered territory far more prosperous than the average REd Army soldier had ever dreamed or heard of. Keep in mind the average Soviet soldier in 1943/44 was a fairly poor peasant/worker indoctrinated by propaganda to believe that everything outside of Soviet borders was a bourguois nightmare.

There are many well documented cases of deaths due to over drinking, shooting other soldiers or officers while drinking, committing war crimes and mass rapes while drinking (though these occured even when alcohol was not a factor, especially in East Prussia, the first actual German territory the Red Army reached, and one of the few places in Europe that until 1944 had experienced little in the way of bombing or war, a region populated by well to do German aristocracy and filled with temptations beyond what the Soviet soldier could have dreamed). THere was even a case of several soldiers arriving at a wine manufactory in Hungary and shooting holes in massive vats of wine, proceeding to drink so much they passed out, then drowning in the wine as it flooded the basement level it was located in. The Russian soldier was issued with the daily "100 grams". This was a measure of Vodka weighed in at 100 grams. This ration was systematically and routinely exceeded. Quartermasters were reporting by 1942 that the front line soldiers were drinking more vodka than tea, (this is from Velikay otechestvennaya). Russian authorities were aware of a problem but could not seem to manage the supply of vodka. Even in the winter of 1941/42, when the REd Army was near collapse and everything from boots to ammunition to trucks and gasoline was pretty much not to be seen...vodka still flowed freely.
So, clearly alcoholism was a major problem. This did not stop the Red Army from pretty much single handedly beating the Germans however, I never suggested this.

So, before making comments disparaging what someone has written or jumping on the bandwagon of other people talking about my comments being insensitive, learn a little historical information first so you can decide whether or not what you are complaining about is the truth or not.

OK of coarse there were cases of drunk soldiers. But the never reached Army levels. But in your post you clearly implement that EVERY soldier was a drunk one, thus the CASUALTY FIGURE was that high.And about those "war rations" i suggest you read memoires of soviet veterans who actually supposed to recieve them. Often they were simply not issued. And that's a proven fact. I will definitely find you a citation about this in the days that comes.So maybe you should pick up a few more books written by the actual veterans instead basing your comments on the western writers who never experienced the eastern front themselves but rising them to god level describing them.

For the record, alot of western historians were repeating the official "history" that kremlin provided. But now alot of things from that version was proven incorrect. But for some strange reasons they are still repeating it.

Example:

The books: "the official Inceclopaedia of the Great patriotic war" and the "Barbarossa" by Valentin Pikul (both had kremlin propaganda experts working for them) claimed that Stalin was a simple fool and coward, but in recent years a certain autor called Vladimir Karpov wrote a book called "Gneralissimus" completely proving those acusations erounous.The book became one of best sellers in Russia, and for the record the author passed the Gulag the war and his family was executed by NKVD so he had every reason to hate Stalin but as he said in his book "I just want to post pure facts and no opinions".The other book was about Joukov and in that too you will find mismatches with official history. But western historians keep affirming the same thing the kremlin ones do. And that goes for many other things. I could name them, but it will take alot of time.

So i suggest instead of posting your "References" try to pick more of russian veterans books (i buy them here at Montreal so i imagine that they also have them in Vancover) and find out the other side of the "Facts" as you like to call them.You see i'm fortunate enough to know the russian,english and french language so i have a possibily to compare different sides of that war , written by writers in those languages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0