• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DLC and modders, TWI great work :D

First off, let me say, great job on the DLC weapons. I don't mind supporting the development of extra content, as long as it's priced correctly(of coarse there should always be a good balance kept of free stuff and DLC). That being said, I would not have bought it, unless it was on sale for at least 50% off its current regular price. But, that's just me and my thoughts on DLC material. Not enough there to be priced to high. But, its not just this DLC content, it's all DLC content. If it's not kept at a low price, I pass it up until it goes on sale, 50 to 75% or if lucky 80% ;)

But, back to the real point of this post :) I would like to commend TWI on how they have set the DLC weapons to be used. Whether it was on purpose or accident, hopefully TWI did the following on purpose, because it should be the set standard on how DLC works. What am I talking about you ask? It's how they have allowed the DLC content to be used on modded servers. Anyone is allowed to use them. That is awesome by all means. And again, yes I bought the DLC, i have all the DLC content that is available for this game. I actually bought 4 copies of the weapons pack. One for myself, and then my extra gaming account for when I go to game nights and someone doesn't have the game, and two copies for two of my friends. :) however, I would not have bought that many, if it wasn't on sale ;)

I know some think it is wrong, that they are allowing the DLC to be used on modded servers for anyone to use.. But, actually its not. For one, most gamers play on stock or I think people here use the term vanilla, servers. This allows the modded servers to continue to be open to creation and imagination, and allows someone like myself to use the weapons in future perks that I may make. So actually by allowing the DLC to be used on modded servers, i see it as helping keep life in the game. It keeps restrictions from being placed on something (modded servers) it should not be placed. Because the gamer may be able to use the DLC on the modded server, but that's the only place they will get to use it, unless the buy it. They cannot take it with them ;) and again, most gamers play on stock (vanilla) servers. Modded servers are just a special treat and a break from the norm for most new and some veteran players. Now for me, I have around 650 or so clocked, i hardly play on stock servers anymore, but I still have no problem buying and supporting DLC, especially when it's at a fair price, for me, that's on sale usually. ;) that way it's always there, if I so decide to play on stock servers. :)

Again, awesome job TWI, i hope you keep the DLC the way it is, and allow creation, imagination, and non restrictions to the modded community. :D

typed this on my phone, so please look over the typos and strange words ;)

Last edited:
They're taking community content and PAYING the modders. To me, thats amazing. What i love is that as a DLC owner, i can buy and then donate that weaon to a non-owner. But really, TWI has always had my appreciation for encouraging mods and while they don't update it, i love that the whitelist exists to protect gamers from hacked perks while still allowing us to blow up the rules when we want and have a rediculous server.

But really, its 4 guns. 4 guns people can live without if they want. The internets has made a big deal out of this... but this isn't a COD map pack. This isn't 15$ for something. It doesn't ruin gameplay if you don't own it. and for christs sakes, since i bought KF they've patched in... IDK. I got it the day before the first christmas event. think of all that free content. at elast a dozen guns, more like 20 i'd bet. 5ish new maps?
FREE.

Upvote 0
I totally agree :) People are over reacting ;) My post was to say thank you to TWI, for doing something that needs to be the standard in DLC for modded servers. Yes, it's just 4 guns now, but what if they decided to add more and more and more DLC, from weapons modders have created. That would kill the modded server experience. Especially perk wise... That would just be awful to have a pick made, then a DLC came out, and used one or two of the weapons that was used in the perk, and turned them to DLC. :( But, the way they are doing it, they can do that with ease :) Because it's not going to effect the modding community at all. :)

Honestly, the game itself was something different than any coop game I had played. I love coop games. It has it's own place on the list, and that place it 1st in my book :) And with TWI doing this with the DLC, and thinking about the modding community, that's just awesome, pure and simple awesome :) Now if they can get the SteamWork shop to be dedicated server friendly, they would be on a great roll. :D

And all honesty though. If they would have went the other route with the DLC, then that would of had me worried some. Because more than likely this is just the first of more DLC weapons to come. And if they would have chosen the other way, of blocking DLC from all servers including modded ones. That would have been a big smack to the modding community. Just think of it as test driving a car in a way. The cars not yours, but it's nice to be able to test it out before you buy it. That could be one way of looking at how they are doing it with the DLC weapons. Well for the group of people that play modded servers... because honestly, most gamers are after achievements and such, and they can't get that from modded servers. I didn't even touch a modded server until i was near finished maxing my main perks out, because I didn't want to waste time in a way, and not increase my main perks. :) Modded servers have their own small crowd. They have a few new players, a few players that have been around for a little while, looking for something different from the stock servers for a little bit, and then you have the vets that have maxed their main perks out and are looking for more challenges... and of coarse the few in between. ;)

Also, about using the weapons on modded servers before they buy them. The flare gun on my server, has had great reviews. They love that thing... Which it is pretty cool that the firebug has a special pistol like weapon... very cool indeed :) So, I could see those players wanting that gun in the stock servers, so, of coarse if they want it, then they are going to buy more than likely :p

But, everyone has their opinion, and this is just mine :) nothing more ;) But, the big problem TWI needs to have on their list to fix, is dedicated server support on the work shop.... That is what I think and fear endangers this great game as for the modded dedicated server community. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still somewhat on the fence with this one.

While I love that TWI is trying to do something different to support modders I'm not convinced this was the best way to do it.

I do think people are over reacting far to much though.

Summed my thoughts up exactly.

Also, what about those modders like Marco, who have provided the basis for Custom content to actually be useful on servers until now.

Upvote 0
But marco's biggest contributions are not really DLC worthy.... not that they aren't fantastic things, but serverperks obviously can't release as dlc, though maybe adaptations of perks made for them could... Kill messages and stuff like that certaintly couldn't...

IJC makes great guns that are dlc worthy. They can't really DLC maps, maybe community skins...

I'd love to see them use u-know-who's cool stuff like iron man, but then he'd get paid grr.

Upvote 0
But marco's biggest contributions are not really DLC worthy.... not that they aren't fantastic things, but serverperks obviously can't release as dlc, though maybe adaptations of perks made for them could... Kill messages and stuff like that certaintly couldn't...

IJC makes great guns that are dlc worthy. They can't really DLC maps, maybe community skins...

I'd love to see them use u-know-who's cool stuff like iron man, but then he'd get paid grr.

Not saying they are DLC worthy, just saying he would be one of the few modders who do deserve something back, prior to this update most custom content was reliant on his work due to blacklisting of 99% of custom content. (or the mut that lets you set a specific perk level).

Upvote 0
All depends really, Marco was one of the original guys that made the KFMod. Don't forget he's made a lot of other stuff. Various game modes and the like. As well as a number of fixes to the back end.

The problem is DLCs are really really really bloody limited in this game. It's pretty much player skins or how the weapons were done.

Maps are a big no-no if there is to be no split in the community (think BF3 or AvP2010)

Mutators, again not as DLC for the above reason.

And things like IronMan are a no-no simply due to IP infringement.

Gamemodes possibly, but then you vote for a new game mode and all that don't have it are kicked. That's not cool.

I also think the game is going down the path of the modder. Most mods are completely over the top. (Because balancing in both numbers and aesthetics is a major pain in the ***) modders make them because they are fun to make. It seems TWI are doing that as well. Not that I'd want to deny them some fun but the core aesthetic of the game is changing a lot because their 'mods' are becoming the game.

Pretty much every new content update after the Level Up event has gotten, well, sillier. Instead of the Hunting Rifle or a Scoped Lee Enfield we got the M99. That's like adding my chainsword to the game instead of a cricket bat. Instead of a medic shotgun we got a pretty useless version of the IJC MedicRifle. (Low clip and what must be a 30deg cone of fire). A scythe and a claymore, both incredibly unreliable weapons (given the sword would be ornamental and not battle ready. and the scyth is only good for one thing, harvesting crops) instead of a sledge hammer/spade/pipe. Don't get me started on the flare revolver and buzz saw xbow.

Despite all mutators being greylisted by defualt there will always be a need for Marco's Server Perks, so I hope he continues to keep it up to date. So far it's the best way to balance and introduce new perks, add new weapons and skins.

I'd prefer to see a competition where the prize is a little bit of money and official inclusion into the game, funded by a premium skin for example. The skin could even be made by the community.

Sorry for the wall of text guys XD

tl;dr Dont' be lazy, go read the post.

Upvote 0